Levetiracetam vs Keppra

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 13 year old son who has been put on Levetiracatam which has stopped his generalised tonic clinic seizures but has brought about severe anger and rage issues! I've heard by swapping to non generic meds I.e Keppra, this could stop this horrible side effect. He's getting into trouble with school and police and I just wondered what others have experienced or could give any advice.

Many thanks,

A concerned mum! Xx

Hi, and welcome to CWE!
There are lots of people here who have kids on Keppra or the generic, and a lot of members themselves are or were on it. Anger issues on this medication are more likely to affect kids than adults, so can be a real concern. I assume your son had no anger issues or problems with authority before starting the medication, is that right? How long has he been on it for?
It is my understanding that whether in is Keppra or a generic, anger and rage issues can be side effects. I have heard of people feeling like they have less anger on the generic, as well as those having less anger on the Keppra itself. It seems to depend on the person.
If it has not been long ago that he started the medication it could be that his body has not yet adapted, or that he is on too high a dose, or that it is not the best medication for him. If you haven't already let his neurologist know what is going on, and that currently the side effects are unmanageable.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Rage/Anger on Levetiracatam

Thank you so much for your reply.

No, Luke had no issues before starting the meds. This is the only med that has controlled his seizures. He has tried two others but they didn't control it. I am soooo reluctant to change his meds as the ladt thing we want is to start fitting at school etc. I'm speaking with his consultant today x

Maybe another medication can be added in to offset the rage issues without altering the effect of the Keppra (or generic). I have no idea if this is possible, but just thought of it.

Let us know how the consultant visit goes!

I also take Keppra and have no rage. But if your son is having serious issues with authority it might be time to go to the ER and get the medicine changed.

Also worth trying if you haven't already is adding a B6 supplement -- it helps some folks with Keppra's mood-related side effects.

I was on Keppra when I was 18 and got bouts of extreme depression and then anger - I attacked my sister and then cut myself up.

I had to be hospitalised to take me off it - it was 100% the worst for me.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Hi, I just read about depression vs epilepsy and epilepsy vs depression.
I thought I was going through the kepprage thing too, but it might just be an "acceptance" dip that I.am epileptic.
I have used keppra and a generic brand, the only one that I seen to be feeling a difference with is the 1000mg tablet as opposed to the 4x 250 or 2x 500 ones, but I am thinking thats more of a placebo effect.

Hi, I just read about depression vs epilepsy and epilepsy vs depression.
I thought I was going through the kepprage thing too, but it might just be an "acceptance" dip that I.am epileptic.
I have used keppra and a generic brand, the only one that I seen to be feeling a difference with is the 1000mg tablet as opposed to the 4x 250 or 2x 500 ones, but I am thinking thats more of a placebo effect.
I am allergic to particular colours in tablets, so if I take the topirimate tablets I feel awful, I have to have capsules and then take them apart - then it is fine.

Could it be something in the tablets themselves you have an allergy to and is making you feel rough? If the smaller doses make you feel different?

Or have I misunderstood?

Hi,

On Keppra also for about 3years now 1000mg day and night. The generic was better for me and taking vitamin supplements (but take them 2hours apart). The anger was more like an ease to anger or frustrate for me. Someone tapping a pen made me want to throw a book at them sort of thing. Many theories on it but honestly after about 3months the side effects died down. And at 3years no anger at all. I am not really sure what causes the anger I suspect it plays with the bodies hormones until the body can level itself out. Just a theory I don't actually know. But maybe if he hasn't been on it for long keep him on it for a bit longer and see. Good Luck

Hi,

On Keppra also for about 3years now 1000mg day and night. The generic was better for me and taking vitamin supplements (but take them 2hours apart). The anger was more like an ease to anger or frustrate for me. Someone tapping a pen made me want to throw a book at them sort of thing. Many theories on it but honestly after about 3months the side effects died down. And at 3years no anger at all. I am not really sure what causes the anger I suspect it plays with the bodies hormones until the body can level itself out. Just a theory I don't actually know. But maybe if he hasn't been on it for long keep him on it for a bit longer and see. Good Luck
Unless it is causing severe problems - I had to be taken off it because I started attacking people (mostly my sister)

If it is mild it is worth letting it play out, but if it is dangerous then they will have to be removed, most likely in hospital like mine were.
But that only happens when the person becomes a danger.

My doctor added Keppra to my a lamictal a couple of months ago. The side effects seemed to have tapered offa little although as happy said Small things that I can usually brush off seem to anger me. Hopefully your sons effects will ease.

I am so glad that people don't get effected as badly with Keppra as badly as I do.
I hope it works for you all and for your son (op) x

He is also going thru the change from a child to a teenager to an adult.
This can also have effects that combined with that and the meds can contribute to these issues.

Note; what were we like when we were that age ?

Hungry Catapillar

I would not use Keppra. I've been on it before and it makes you very irritable. I would suggest Oxtellar. That takes care of the seizures and mood. However, I don't know what kind of seizures your son has. Ask your doctor before you start taking them. I'm not one to prescribe medicines. Hope I could help. :)

For Hungry Catapillar

But if you are gonna use Keppra, I'd use kapvay as a solution for the mood. That's what I did. But then again, ask your doctor. :)

Welcome Hungry,
I have been on the generic Keppra, since 2006. Luckily, I have never experienced the rage part. Right now I have been upped to 1500mgs and have developed a rash, which can also be a side effect. But I can live with it.
Bottom line, Everyone's Body deals with medication differently! That's why the drs. have such a hard time.
Good Luck!
M

Back
Top Bottom