looking for advice

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Im hoping I can get some advice from someone I dont know about other people with head injuries and epilepsy but for me there are times when i crash into a deep depression ive also had issues with anxiety i guess it kinda comes with the territory i know it could be much worse but anyway ive tried prozac and i believe the other was celexa but they both put me into really bad seizures and i just feel like if i could get a grip onthe depression i could in turn calm the anxiety down thus hopefully calm my seizure activity down if anyone knows about a medication that would help and is not likely to put me into seizures please let me know im 21 years old and i want more for myself i refuse to let my disorders/diseases define me if anyone has any advice for me just reply or send me a message i hope nobody thinks im crazy unfortuanetly this is my only contact with other people with similar issues ive never even met another epileptic so i dont know what other people are going through i meen i have one of the best neuorologist in the country but hes about an hour away and there are really no seminars or anything close buy and even if there were its really tough when i have to pay people to get around somebody please reply it would really put my mind at ease

I had this problem, and did some research on webmd and prozac and Keppra XR. I discovered that the two drugs used together cause more seizures.

Yeah one of my medications is actually keppra and i did try prozac i dont know what the difference is between keppra and keppra xr i think the patent ran out and its just an exuse for the drug companies to make more money kinda like neurontin and lyrica which are virtually ther same but have a big price difference. When you said you had this problem what did you do that helped?

hello

Neurontin is the brand medicine, the genric for that is Gabapentin

Lyrica is the brand medicine, and the Genric is Pregabalin

BOTH MEDICINE CAN BE FOR PAIN, PLUS BOTH ARE SEIZURE PILLS. THERE

IS ALOT OF SEIZE PILLS OUT THERE. If you do not believe this, you may want

to google the medicine name and look what it is used for.

Their is alot of information here and online. Just google names of meds you

want to get information on, you can find out interactions on meds also.

Ask people here also. We all may have some answer. I have gone

threw seizure for over 50 years and others may have had it longer. So

they may know alot more.

Celexa and other similar medications caused depression for my son. It took his spirit and created a very even mood, however the depression was not acceptable. He does not have a seizure disorder.

There is a lot of research about how depression is helped by making nutritional changes.

Depression with any kind of brain trauma can be very serious and challenging to treat. It's important to not let the depression win, and it can be very frightening. Seeing a therapist regularly can help with problem solving treatment solutions. I would want a neurologist's opinion as well, and maybe consult a holistic practitioner for adjunctive therapies to consider.

I am on Topamax and was recently on lyrica for a year. Aside from the massive weight gain from the lyrica, I noticed my mood changed in a drastict way. I had days I didn't get out of bed, my personal hygeine suffered, I stopped doing the hobbies I loved. I spoke to my neuro many times and finally he switched me to neurontin. I know they are similar and the lyrica is just the newer school nerontin, but as the lyrica clears out of my system I am becoming my old self again. I am getting back into photography, finishing my quilt, doing the fall decorations around the house in/out my Mom would have done. So there must be a difference or at least the way my body reacts. My Mom was on wellbutrin and could not take the generic without a bad reaction, she had to pay out of pocket for the brand and her body handled that. We have to speak up and keep speaking up til our voices are heard we are the ones taking this crap!

Usually drugs with the XR moniker are extended release variants- Keppra XR is released into the system gradually over a 12 hour period instead of being immediately all released like normal Keppra.

Not only does this slightly lessen the chance of side effects, but for people with epilepsy it is usually helpful to try and maintain a persistent chemical balance.

Unfortunately Keppra (like many AEDs) can have some unpleasant side effects- anxiety, irritability, non-psychotic aggression ('kepprage'), depression, somnolence and fatigue, coordination difficulties and suicidal/self-harm thoughts being the most common.

Depression and epilepsy also seem to go hand in hand- whether it's a side effect of meds or not :(

Why do you think that is? The depression and epilepsy thing. Because they use the ECT to treat depression and essentially that is an induced seizure.

Back
Top Bottom