Looking for people who understand what I'm going through!:)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi! I'm not new to seizures, but I am new to this support group. Here's my story:)
When I was 12 years old, I started having auras. My auras are complicated. I call them "colors". They only happen when I stand up from lying or sitting down, but it doesn't have anything to do with blood rushing from my head. My vision will be completely covered with flashing multi colors, my whole body will go stiff and numb starting in my legs, I will get the pins and needles feeling, my whole body will throb, I will get an extreme headache, and afterwards, I feel completely normal. I am completely aware during it, but I will feel confused after. So I had these auras for 6 months before I had an actual seizure in July of 2006 (I had a few fainting spells before), and I was completely aware during it. The only thing they found was that my right temporal lobe is smaller than my left lobe, and there's a scar on my right lobe where the activity is coming from. I was put on Tegretol for about a year before it lowered my WBC count, I got an infection and had to have surgery. They then moved me to Lamictal which I stayed on for another 3 years and only had one breakthrough seizure. They are unsure exactly what kind of seizures I have. It seems that I have characteristics of several different kinds. I will have an aura, faint, and my entire upper body will convulse, but I'm completely aware of what's happening. In 2010, I had another EEG, and it came back normal, so I was taken off my meds, believing that I had outgrown the seizures. About a year ago, my auras starting coming back slowly. Over the past year, I've noticed that my auras will be more frequent and stronger when I'm stressed and right before I start aunt flow. The stronger the auras are, the more painful it is. Last week, I fainted again, but I'm not sure if I had a seizure or not, because I was alone. I had an EEG, and the doctor just told me yesterday that it came back abnormal. So I'm going to go back in soon hopefully and get all the details worked out so I can get back on meds. This all happened exactly 3 years after I was taken off meds. How convenient lol. Still unsure of the cause.
So I'm basically here because I don't know of anybody who has seizures/epilepsy. I've explained all this to my friends, but obviously they can't relate. They've made fun of people with seizures, not specifically me, but I still find it insulting. It's one thing to make fun of it and think that you know what it's like, but you don't know til you have a seizure or have to take daily meds. I think it'd be nice to relate to some people who are going through the same thing I am:) I'm 19 by the way!

Last edited:
Welcome to CWE,Freckleface,
If your looking for people who understand what your going through,then your definetly at the right place.Good luck and hopefully see you around.

Hi freckleface19, welcome to CWE!

CWE members "get it" about epilepsy -- you're in good company! Sorry to hear that your seizures have returned and that you may have to go back on meds -- but it's important to put on the brakes before symptoms escalate. If some of your symptoms are related to the time of the month, it's called "catamenial epilepsy". You can read more about that in the threads below:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f20/catamenial-6834/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/ladies-only-catamenial-question-15829/

Here's another good link with general tips about being proactive:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

Best,
Nakamova

Hi freckleface, this board is 'da bomb' as i think you youngsters say :p we're not all old fogies either, there are plenty of younger people on here as well.

joining this board was one of the best things i've ever done, and you'll find so much care, advice and support here - really, you've come to the right place :)

have fun, read the threads and as crash said- hopefully see you around in them!

Last edited:
Freckleface
I am so glad you found this site site. I found it just recently myself. I have learned a lot about different types of seizures and different feelings I have had that I didn't always know were related to my epilepsy. As far as your friends, I am so sorry that you are not getting the support you want. I hope that maybe as you learn more here and at your doctors appointments that your friends will be able to come around to the understanding of seizures and be more considerate to your feelings. I was diagnosed with epilepsy at age 12. many people here are more than happy to help you with any advice they can. Don't be a stranger. :bjump:

Welcome to CWE! This place has been great...lots of great articles and knowledgeable folks. Take your shoes off and get comfy. :)

Hi Freckleface19.
Welcome to CWE. this is a great place to hang out and get some support and understanding.

Back
Top Bottom