low mood with jamais vu and deja vu

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jojobelle

New
Reaction score
Hi all
Its my first time on here - my lovely, 32 year old boyfriend has actually already signed up and posted on here by means of finding support for himself, so that he can better support me (its me who has epilepsy, not him thank goodness).
Having a really low day and a low week following a 3 day hospital stay from 26th March.
Epilepsy (temporal lobe) had gone quiet for quite a while (a good few months since full blown seizure/seizures) with the exception of some auras and 'deja vu', which I felt I could handle.
Had 3 days off work after a middle of the night seizure (which naturally frightened my partner), a 2nd seizure around 8 hours later and the 3rd, 4th and 5th seizures in hospital.

I've had near-on total memory loss for the 1st-5th period and some, partial but substantial memory loss even from the weeks before and thus, real 'jamais vu'. I've been relying on those I love to tell me things from recent memory.

My medication was recently altered in so far as Lamotrigine I have been on since the very start was increased with Keppra from more recent years been halved and switching from the contraceptive Pill to the Coil (under direction from my neurologist, reasoning being to make my medication more effective - kind of back-fired on us unfortunately!!)

Feeling really low. Its the disappointment that its all happened again, guilt for putting those I love (esp my partner of 6 years whom I only 4 weeks ago moved in with) through this seemingly endlessly and going over things, anxiety it could happen again to any extent and at any point and severe lethargy and sheer exhaustion. My medication daily dosage has doubled (why will account for this as well as my body recovering) and feeling about like a medicine box!

Luckily, I work in a school so we have been on school break all of last week and all of this coming week.
I'm dreading going back as I know Ill be tired, questioned by albeit concerned colleagues and feel that I will have to re-learn my job due to my memory loss. I guess I'm now under-confident as to whether I'm up to the job. I like my job, its not particularly stressful (I work with an autistic boy and a girl with behaviourial problems) and I find it important and worthwhile.

Any advice or guidance or words of advice or positive stories from out there?

I know there are a huge amount of us in the same or similar boat and that's why we are here.

Welcome Jojobelle. I hope things settle down for you soon. You know, we all get that "guilt thing" from time to time and it really is a waste of brain cells. (I am trying to convince myself as I am posting this to you.. ha)Your partner obviously cares about you and he just needs to be educated about epilepsy. Wow, he cares enough to have signed up here so that he can support you. I really think you can toss that guilt aside. You had epilepsy when you met him and it didn't make any difference to his feelings for you. My only advice to you is to allow yourself to be less than perfect..we all are. It is ok to ask for help if you need it. How will you know whether you are up to your job unless you try it. Don't doubt yourself, you are probably underestimating your capability. You have had a setback and it has shaken your confidence. If you were good at your job before, I am sure that you will be again. Positive thinking my friend. You sound like a very caring lady and I am sure that everyone on this forum is happy that you have found us.

Hi Jojobelle! Welcome to CWE! First of all, big hugs to you... :hugs:

Take the next week while off from work to rest up and allow your physical and emotional self to recoup. It's difficult to regain your footing after this. And in as much as I'm telling you, I'm telling myself, too. :)

The world has a nasty habit of kicking us in the teeth....don't do it to yourself. Take care of YOU. Your partner cares for you deeply, so allow him to continue on. :) You have friends here, girlie. Make yourself at home!

Last edited:
Hi Jojobelle, welcome!

So sorry for what you've been through. It's no fun being a guinea pig and having to deal with the consequences of messing with the meds. Were the changes all made at the same time? That could be one reason the whole process triggered this latest round of seizures.

Anyway, be very gentle with yourself as you recover. Make sure to stay hydrated, and eat properly -- I know this can be hard to do when you feel lousy, but it will help you regain your strength. While you're still fragile, it's all about getting TLC and rewarding yourself for getting through each day. If you're still feeling lousy when the school break ends, can you tack on one ore two more vacation days?

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom