Magnesium

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Joby

New
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I'm new to the Forum and anxious to hear/read of your experiences. I was DX with partial complex seizures 19-years ago. I stumbled upon this site while googling Magnesium for Epilepsy. Like others I have tried a variety of meds.

I started having seizures after the death of my first husband 19 years ago. I took care of him at home up to the final three days so I can't help but believe all the stress brought them on however I'm still having 3-4 night seizures/month. I'm currently taking Lamictal however very reluctant to tell my Neurologist of them bcus their only answer is more meds. Today I started with the 1/2t Epsom Salts and OJ. I pray this will be the answer.

Joby

Hi Joby, welcome to CWE!

I hope you find that magnesium works for you. Some have found that magnesium citrate, and liquid magnesium are better absorbed than other kinds. You might also want to consider modifying your diet. The Modified Atkins Diet (MAD) has shown a lot of success in treating complex partials. You can read more about it here: http://www.atkinsforseizures.com/

Best,
Nakamova

Magnesium is an important mineral for a lot of things - to contol muscles, neurological functions, prevent depression, and a whole host of other stuff.

Nakamova is right. There are other forms of magnesium that might sit better with your body. Epsom salts tend to cause diarrhea, as does many other forms of magnesium. Getting the right kind, plus starting at a very small doses and working your way up helps.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! :)

And after I posted the below, I had an appointment with my primary care physician. I've been having some pretty intense muscle cramps on the left side of my body. I really don't want more drugs than I'm already on, so he put me on Magnesium Citrate to see if that helps, first. :)

Hooraaayyyy, Magnesium!

I would try the magnesium for a while, but if it doesn't work then you may want to tell the dr about the seizures. I know you don't want to take any more meds but if it will stop the seizures then it may be worth it.

Hope the magnesium works, good luck!

Thanks for responiding, I am open to any and all advise any of you can give me.

What drugs are you on and how long has it been since you had a seizre?

Thank you for your response. I am gratefull for everyone's advise.

I am interested in what drugs you take, how long have you been taking them and how long you have been seizure free?

Thanks,
Joan

I have grand mal seizures. I'm on lamictal, seizure-free 3.5 years.

That's fantastic.

I have partial complex seizures but have not found a drug/combination that works. I'm currently on lamictal also.

What other meds/treatments have you tried?

Depakote, Tegretol, Trilipetol (splg)

This last time I went the longest between seizures - 5 weeks. I've been taking
1/4 t Epsom Salts w/OJ every morning, perhaps that helped?

Of the treatments out there it angers me one has to have tried every drug with no success B4 any other treatment will even be considered, ie vagus stimulator, stem cell, etc.

Frustrating

veteran of E.

Welcome to the forum. I have T/Cs. On Dilantin for over 30 years, prior to that Phenobarb. Liquid Dilantin for 8 years, better absorption.

Triggers - emotional and physical stress; Hormones, dehydration, lack of sleep, too much alcohol (only when I was a youngster!) What a tragic loss you had at a young age. My Father died last summer, and here came the seizure 2 weeks later. I have gone as long as 8 years between seizures.
Hope you can get some relief and closure for your treatment, at least to some extent so your life can be less dramatic in terms of your health.

Yes this is a frustrating condition!!! Having the internet has opened up a whole new world for those of us wanting more than to be medicated.

Thank you.

Like everyone I wish Neurologists would work w/patient and "hear" what we know about our seizure activity.

I don't mean to repete myself. So if you see my question in the kitchen forum.
WELLLLLLL...
I have been reading about the magnesium, I had never heard of this. I would like to to know more.

I called my phar. to see if she knew about this. She said NO

Is this for depression? Should I ask my Dr. to test my levels?

I feel like I am on the edge of going into depression and the presc. med. I don't seem to able to tolerate.

any input would be appreciated.

Magnesium plays a big role in all the body systems, but especially in brain health. In relation to seizures, magnesium is an important control because it not only regulates nerve and muscle relaxation, but acts as a chemical gatekeeper. If you are low on magnesium it can certainly produce seizure-related symptoms or triggers: anxiety, spasms, muscle cramps, fatigue, headaches, irritability, low energy and sleep disorders. In addition, research has shown that epilepsy patients have a magnesium deficiency.

You could have your blood tested to see if you're deficient in magnesium. If you are deficient, you could ask your doctor about taking a supplement. Certain forms of magnesium (such as gluconate or citrate) are more easily absorbed than others. It might be recommended that you cut down on milk or other dairy products, since calcium atoms bind up magnesium.

Anecdotally, I know that RobinN found that her migraines went away when she started taking magnesium. For me, I've never been tested for a magnesium deficiency, so I don't know if it can plays a role in controlling my seizures. But I found that it helps keep my blood pressure down, so I take a supplement in the morning. A general rule of thumb is that if you are taking magnesium and it gives you the runs, you are taking too much.

As always, check with your doctor first before taking any supplement.

Back
Top Bottom