Magnesium

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello All,

Have any of you had any success addressing non-migrane headaches with a dose of magnesium? My daughter has had what the doctor described as a muscular skeletal headache since May 1 with no relief.

She is taking 1000 mg of Keppra, 100 mg B2 and 100 mg of B6 daily.

Thanks!

Tom

If there are no contra-indications, it's worth a try for her to take a small magnesium dose to see if it helps. It's more likely to work if the headache is due to vascular constriction or muscle tension, since that's where magnesium tends to play a role. I take magnesium citrate, which is a good absorbable form, 140mg dose once a day.

With a musculoskeletal headache, massage can also help provide relief: Start with a warm moistened washcloth at the base of the neck. Then, massage sideways (in a horizontal pattern) against the vertical fibers that run from the base of the skull down the neck. You can press as firmly as she feels comfortable with.

There are muscle relaxant meds, but I assume her doctor wants to avoid prescribing anything strong at this point?

so it is keppra gives ya the headaches? mine are terrible every day! i have no idea what to take i tried all sorts of pain killers and vitamins

so i cant help you much but i hope you can find something that helps!

Good luck

Thank you Nakamova!

If there are no contra-indications, it's worth a try for her to take a small magnesium dose to see if it helps. It's more likely to work if the headache is due to vascular constriction or muscle tension, since that's where magnesium tends to play a role. I take magnesium citrate, which is a good absorbable form, 140mg dose once a day.

With a musculoskeletal headache, massage can also help provide relief: Start with a warm moistened washcloth at the base of the neck. Then, massage sideways (in a horizontal pattern) against the vertical fibers that run from the base of the skull down the neck. You can press as firmly as she feels comfortable with.

There are muscle relaxant meds, but I assume her doctor wants to avoid prescribing anything strong at this point?

The doctor implied muscle tension from the seizure, although I am concerned about how long it has lasted.
I'll pick up some magnesium citrate today and try the massage when I get home.
Your input is greatly appreciated!:clap:

Last edited:
so it is keppra gives ya the headaches?

Keppra gave me horrible headaches when I started taking it. They felt like a really bad hangover. I always woke up with one. Luckily after two or three months, they went away. How long have you been on Keppra? Maybe in time the same will happen to you.

When I don't sleep right I get headaches, not really bad ones, just little headaches non stop all day. A teenager's schedule is all over the place and I personally find it hard to make sure that I get all the sleep that I NEED.

When I don't sleep right I get headaches, not really bad ones, just little headaches non stop all day. A teenager's schedule is all over the place and I personally find it hard to make sure that I get all the sleep that I NEED.

:agree: Thanks

I suffered from migraine - magnesium gave me my life back.
Started with ionic, then moved to aspartate, now I take Jigsaw magnesium SRT
My daughter takes it as well with her supplements. We take between 400 mg and 800 mg / day

An RMT friend of mine showed me two pressure points at the base of the skull on either side of the spine, and when I press and hold it does a good job of making any headaches simply go away.

I started taking magnesium as part of my self-care and it made a huge difference. Everything seems to work better. The biggest thing is more stability with respect to seizures and I found that the recurrance of restless legs dropped by about 85%. I don't get headaches often, but since I started with magnesium they happen almost never. Proof? I don't think so, but I don't think it can hurt to try 100-200 mg per day and see what happens. Just be careful.

Jay

jgeekie - great to hear you are seeing positive results. It appears a bit low though for most people.

http://www.ancient-minerals.com/magnesium-deficiency/

After my calcium disaster, I would always encourage people to start low and work up. The consequences, both good and bad, will manifest slowly and the chances of something catastrophic happening is unlikely that way. If I followed my own advice, I would not be in my current situation.

Prudence with health unless you are in a truly desperate situation.

Jay

I take a 600 mg calcium/600 mg magnesium capsule together for several reasons. I have neuropathy from my RA along plus supposedly the magnesium helps absorb the calcium more efficiently. Magnesium of my dose or higher can cause a slight laxative effect. I avoid B6 because I take phenobarbital.

Magnesium is the supplement foundation of my seizure prevention protocol. I take it orally - Jigsaw SRT twice daily, Transdermally with Magnesium Chloride applications directly to my skin 2-3 times a day (bottom of feet, inner/upper arms, and behind knees), and Epsom Salt (Magnesium Sulfate) warm tub soaks 2-3 times a week. Think of magnesium as a relaxer and is needed by the body to do so many things. Most humans are deficient in magnesium and once levels are brought up things change. The problem is that it is too simple for most and they cannot believe it because it is not a prescription drug from a doctor. The greatest danger to having too much magnesium is a loose stool..... no big deal. Note: Magnesium Oxide as an oral supplement is a total waste of time and money so do not bother.

Thanks for your input

Bucking the System,

Thanks for a detailed and informative post. I'm not sure that she is up to all of that, but I will try when I get the opportunity.

Tom

First - I have twin sons.... :)

You should be able to do the Epsom Salt Warm tub soaks - monitored of course and the Magnesium Chloride body rubs.... pretty easy and most effective. Let us know how they work - there are some skeptics in this world.... :)

Oh you have noticed that too?
I am going to try the rub that you have suggested

Back
Top Bottom