Military/Epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

jcc180

New
Reaction score
I am New to Epilepsy, i was literally just diagnosed a few days ago.
Anyway i am currently in the coast guard where i have been serving for the past two years. The military was something i have wanted to do since i can remember. And then in later years i wanted to pursue law enforcement. Any way i have herd mixed things in the coast guard about being discharged and not being discharged.
I am on lamictal.
the coast guard told me that i will have to go in front of a med. board and ultimately discharged. Yet my chief seems to think there must be a way around discharge. Is there? Anyone have a similar case?

Hi jcc180, welcome!

I know we have several members who are or have been in the military. I'm hoping they chime in here with some advice about your options. There's a lot of good info here: http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/answerplace/Social/military/ Check out especially the paragraph about "Retention".

How long have you been having seizures? Are they controlled by the Lamictal?

Best,
Nakamova

I can't let go of my yen for a law enforcement career either. I haven't seen anything from an official source, but I have a handful of friends in the field, and it sounds like 5 years seizure free is generally the standard. I'd hoped it would be contingent merely on being able to drive, but unfortunately it sounds like most departments require even longer.

Five years is like a pipe dream to me. I can scarcely remember the last time I went 5 weeks without a T/c. Frustrating. We need more good people in law enforcement. I'd love to serve my community in that capacity. I sure wish they'd hire me. I know I'd be a great cop, and i certainly don't assert myself that way in many endeavors. I was raised military- I'm disciplined and confident, but i also have a lot of compassion and empathy plus experience with firearms. :)

Oy, sorry, I didn't intend to post about me; I just wanted to say I can relate. Maybe someone on these threads who's technologically savvy could start a medical record expunging service being that they're all electronic these days. I know I'd pay a pretty penny.

You have options and ending your career is not necessarily a requirement. When I first knowingly started having seizures and reported them. I was only asked to keep the Navy updated and depending on frequency and level or degree of severity would make a huge difference in what could be offered to continue my military career.

With only one reported seizure and no actual diagnosis they only asked I report back if changes occurred or if within 6 months more seizures had occurred. First time around I was cleared and it was around 3 years before I experienced another seizure. Still not diagnosed, but my seizures now come with frequency and actually affect my working abilities.

The second seizure event only prompted the Navy to give me the same spill as the first time around. The 3rd seizure event only 2 months later prompted my chain of command to help me look for some options. My first request was a 6 month leave of absence, but unfortunately before it was finalized... My 4th seizure event occurred on base and it gained a little too much attention.

In conclusion, I must pay back the prorated portion of my enlistment bonus, I lose partial college funding, must pay for my own medical insurance now, I lose my SGLI and was transferred to the IRR just this Sunday, but I too was thinking exactly like you until I was able to get all the answers from some savy friends like my CO, CMC, HMC, Chaps and CCC. It took us 2 months to get the first response, and a combined total of 6 months to find a suitable answer since my medical condition rapidly went downhill; but, I have 5 years to recover with annual medical review boards to find a sustainable solution and if I do, I can return to active duty.

Not the greatest thing to hear, but it was huge relief to me once I received a final answer. The military is truly the only job where I have actively enjoyed my life and career. If you are able to request the IRR before going in front of a medical review board or having the seizure disorder permanently in your record you can avoid the 5 yr limitation in writing. Even still, I'm not sure I would avoid limiting myself to 5 yrs without a seizure before going back considering my 3 year time gap between seizure #1 and #2.

Depending on how important it is for you to return to service... You may also want to know that if you were diagnosed while in the service and/or can prove that it is military related, you will likely be discharged with 100% disability. If I remember correctly the type of seizure disorder can affect % amount. Check the VA website for more information or even better talk to your local VA Assoc, that assists vets in receiving VA benefits, first one that comes to mind is Purple Heart Assoc but there many.

My husband has recently been for a med board hearing due to his seizures and it was decided he will be medically discharged.From supporting my husband through the process I (in a way) understand the uncertainty you must be going through. I know that to begin with my husband was scared of his career ending , he joined up straight after school, but now we have the result he looks at it as an opportunity to start something new where he can progress, for the past year or so he had been moved to an office job. No matter what the outcome I think it's important to try and look at it as an opportunity, it devastates me that my husband is no longer allowed to deploy with the other lads as this is what he has been training for but now he has a few business ideas and a plan for the future.It is still tough at times for him and i know he gets frustrated but I know that the discharge will work out for the better.
not sure if this is any help to you, just thought it would help to know others are going similar situations :)

My son was born to be a cop. He wanted to be career military his whole life. E hits at puberty and bye bye dreams BUT there are so many other things that you can do related to those fields. I just ask you to have an open mind. Returning miltary need physcial therapist and cops need forensic people. How my son is filling those needs are by being a volunteer fireman and now switching his major to Home Land Security.

Dont let the career define you. YOU define the career. There are so many other ways to help and not be military or a cop.

I wish you all well,
joan*

Perhaps there is a cause for your symptoms..
My daughters have improved by making nutritional changes.

Back
Top Bottom