My baby has absence seisures.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sadie

New
Reaction score
Hello.
I am interested in the forums here as my baby boy has a form of Epilepsy.
When he was around 8 or 9 months old I noticed that he would stare off in a dream like state a few times a day for a few seconds each time. I new something wasn't right so I started the ball rolling with the doctors to get to the bottom of it. He had an EEG and the outcome was that he was demonstrating symtoms of infantile absence seizures.
He has had an MRI scan and various other instruisive test which has thankfully came back normal. He has been taking Epillum for a few months now however there has been no reductions on the abscence seisures (which can be as much as 20 per day). Once he started to walk, the problems then started with him falling over on some occastion while having a seizures leading to several bumps and bruises :(
He had another EEG recently where they noticed a change in some of the seisures in that they were focal rather than general. They have prescibed another medication called Keppra which they hope with have an effect.
At the moment we are unsure exactly what the future holds for him as we do not know how bad it may get and how it may effect his life. The docs are concerned with how young he is given that most cases of straight forward abscence seizures begin at around the age of 4. We are thankful that m
Well, thats it really, be glad to browse around and learn of other peoples experience with the wide and varied subject of Epilepsy (which up until a few months ago, i had no idea about).x.

Hi Sadie, welcome to CWE!

If the Keppra doesn't work, or has problematic side effects, you might look into a dietary approach to controlling your son's seizures. There's been a lot of success with the ketogenic and Modified Atkins diets. More info here:

http://www.atkinsforseizures.com/story.html

Back
Top Bottom