Myoclonic Jerks

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello to all of you. I am new here. I first posted on The Kitchen. I guess I should've posted here first.

A few weeks ago, I was having some sort of jerks when I hit the bed. It made it really hard to go to sleep. But I didn't think of it much. Then myoclonic jerks soon went away. But then they came back again. My general physician ordered a blood test and discovered that I have vitamin D deficiency. She said that it does not contribute to the jerking that I have. My rheumatologist diagnosed me with myoclonic jerks. She prescribed me primidone but that pill was too strong for me. Now I am on Clanozepam. However, I do not want to be hooked on a pill for the rest of my life to get to sleep. I was wondering if any of you have or had myoclonic jerks and what you do to treat it? Have you been cured of it?

Thanks for reading. Once again, I apologize for posting this thread twice.

hi! I'm on Clonazepam 5mg for myoclonic jerks since 29th September. I also take Tegretol 800mg since May. I've not had a seizure in 17 days where I was having them 5-12 a night.

Try and get along with the medication- nothing is forever so in time you may be weaned off of the meds. see how it goes.

:)

Hello there ! I suffer from myoclonic seizures as well. They are a pain seriously. My co workers at work and my supervisor are aware that I suffer from this and they have seen me twitch so when I call in and say Im going to be late they understand I cant drive. I know when Im able to drive and when Im not. I wouldnt want to put anyone else's life at risk. Especially my sons. usually when I twitch its because im really stressed out or havent slept much. I twitch mostly when I wake up and then it takes about an hour for them to go away. I also feel like Im floating or like its all a dream. I think its like pressure in my head. Ive been on Carbatrol for 3 yrs now and recently my twitching has gotten worse so the neuro just upped my dosage from 400 mg to 600 mg a day. Along with that he prescribed me some anxiety and stress pills :/ Im not so happy about that. I feel like instead of curing the disorder its just being supressed. So ive thought if my seizures are due to stress and lack of sleep I should address the issue. I will make sure to get enough sleep every night and also for the stress just make some ME time to go get a massage or something very relaxing. Ive thought about meditation as well. I know how you feel about being on medication the rest of your life :( I feel the same way. But I have faith that eventually they will dissappear one day.

I have the jerks but i haven't been able to get to my doctor in a while do to money. I have to ask him to raise my meds back up to 75 MG because 50 just isn't cutting it anymore. The jerks are becoming more frequent too. it's annoying because I'm an artist, I need my hands and arms STILL so I can draw. >_<

I get the jerks from time to time, the primidone I take for my essential tremors does a good job at keeping them away, I get them worse in winter, a couple years ago they were awful, when I tried to sleep they would be so bad I'd wake up my girlfriend at the time. But every once in a while I'll get a flare up, might drop or spill something.

I understand about how this can be very annoying. Just recently I spilled hot coffee on myself cause I twitched... It made me so mad I started crying. Theres nothing I can do to prevent them so I just cry. I just feel this sense of not having control of them and Im the kind of person that likes to have control of things. So dealing with this has been tough.

Ouch, I hope you didn't burn yourself with the coffee. And yeah it is frustrating. VERY frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom