Need some insight. Please.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
First off my health insurance is in the works. But for now I was hoping to get some insight. A few years ago I started having these "episodes". I have pretty bad anxiety and panic disorder to begin with. Then one night after a bad evening with anxiety and stressed out from my job I wake up with the lights on with my child, parents, husband and EMTs just staring at me. I was like "what???". They told me that I was snoring extremely loud and I was gritting me teeth with bloody spit coming out of the corners of my mouth and they couldn't wake me up. My tounge hurt on the side like I was pushing against my teeth. It was swollen and my calves hurt as if I pulled my muscles. It was to the point where it hurt to walk. But other than the sore tounge and calves I felt fine. Actually like relived. It has happened about 5-6 times over the past 5 years. Maybe more. It always followed extreme anxiety. It happen last night. Before that it was Oct 2013. I don't convulsed during it. They just say the can't wake me up and I will roll off the bed and just lay there. Any insight is appreciated.

Not all types of seizures have convulsions. Hurting your tongue, feeling sore and not being able to be woken up can go along with seizures. They can also happen during sleep or when falling asleep or waking up. I hope you get your insurance soon so you can see a neurologist for evaluation.

I am not sure about the extra loud snoring, as I don't snore, but I'm told I make some sort of grunting during my nocturnal seizures so they can sounds your spouse is not used to. Sleep apnea can create extra loud snoring and difficult waking but I don't think injury and soreness.

My daughter always snores loudly and is unresponsive after a tonic-clonic seizure. The loud snoring is very common and is called stertorous breathing. It is your body trying to make up for the oxygen debt caused by the seizure. So my guess is that the snoring is happening after the seizure.

It is possible you are having a tonic seizure, but I think it is more likely you are having a tonic-clonic seizure, but the clonic (or jerking) part may be very subtle. And the extreme anxiety can be a seizure "prodrome". I am glad you are getting insurance soon because you should definitely get an evaluation.

:agree:
The symptoms you describe are consistent with a seizure and pre- and post-seizure activity. If they occur at night, it might be worth having a sleep study/EEG done to look for seizure activity and/or something like apnea which might be contributing.

It does sound like these could be possible seizures. I normally have simple and complex partial seizures.

During a simple complex partial I am aware of what's going on and will respond to things. During a complex partial I will blank out and won't respond to anything. Sometimes during my complex partials I will get up and do things not just stay in one place. I'm normally awake during them because my eyes are open.

There have been a few times that I've gone to bed at night then woke up on the couch having no idea how I got there. I don't know if I wake up during the seizure or if I do this all while I am asleep.

Stress is something that will bring on seizures for me. I'm almost guaranteed to have a seizure if I'm stressed out. So if you were stressed before these things happened it could have been a bit of a trigger for it.

Hello. I thought I better come back and update incase someone else out there experiences the same symptoms. As it turns out I have sleep apnea. I don't snore but the dr said there are different types. In my case when I am extremely tired it gets aggravated. When I finally fall asleep after being exhausted I stop breathing, my brain doesn't get oxygen and I seize. When he told me it just all made sense. I'm a new mom again. My sleep has been sparse, here and there. And 2 years ago when it was happening my I was always exhausted I was working 6 days a week anywhere from 10-18 hour days. So I have to get a sleep machine, someday i'll get insurance for it. Until then I'm going to do my best to not get too exhausted. THanks for the responses everyone!

I've often suspected my nocturnal seizures of having an apnea component. The symptoms you describe are very similar to what other people have told me I do particularly the freaky-loud snore.

There is no way I am ever going to sleep with one of those CPAP monsters attached to my face though. I have heard that breathing exercises that strengthen your breathing and increase your lung capacity can have the same effect. Things like running wind sprints. When I was in training for climbing Mt. Kilimangaro, a pleasant side effect was better sleep and less seizures.

I'm so glad you were able to find some answers.

Back
Top Bottom