Neurofeedback anyone?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi! I am obviously new here....here's the abbreviated story of my epilepsy:

I was diagnosed over 10 years ago (in my mid 30s ) in a sleep study where they realized I had about 15 partial complex seizures. Progressively, I started having complex partial seizures during the day and some grand mal. I was diagnosed with temporal lobe epilepsy. It took a year or two to get the right 'cocktail' of drugs to help me be ‘seizure-free’ (which I think most us could not consider ourselves seizure-free in reality). Over the next couple of years I would very occasionally have a partial complex and rarely a grand mal. I almost always have an aura warning (‘black fireflies’ twinkling in from my peripheral vision) which can give me anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 hours warning. Over the years, I have figured out what can trigger my seizures (lack of sleep, not exercising on a regular basis, stress, my period, live music, low blood sugar) and I manage to deal with these things well … usually. I exercise religiously, meditate, and do yoga which all helps me manage. However, I am tired of being on the medication merry-go-round and am interested in learning more about neurofeedback and EEG stimulation, as well as other holistic approaches.

“There is nothing the body suffers the soul may not profit by.”
George Meredith, Novelist

Hi nature girl, welcome to CWE!

I would like to try neurofeedback as well, but my neurologist insists that there's not enough hard evidence to support it's use for treating epilepsy. I might try it anyway (if I had the money), but there are no practitioners in my area -- plenty who specialize in it for treating ADD/ADHD, but none for epilepsy.

In addition to the link CQ posted, this link will take you to CWE threads that are tagged with neurofeedback: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/tags/neurofeedback.html

I also recommend the book "A Symphony in the Brain" for a good discussion of neurofeedback in general.

Best,
Nakamova

Hi nature girl, welcome to the forum. :hello:

There is a wealth of information and personal experiences posted here in the forums. If you have any specific questions, ask away!

Hi nature girl.
Neurofeedback Never done it.
How many different drugs have you tried? I've tried 23.
sleep deprivation can trigger seizures in a lot of people and so can stress.Biofeedback can work for me in stopping a sz.What's neuro feedback?

Nakoma,
what I was taught was biofeedback was from an old friend who use to work at epilepsy foundation in Atlanta. One day I told her what I did that stopped my sz's she called it biofeedback. When I'd have an aura before seizure I'd say over and over in my head I wasn't going to have a seizure and that would stop my sz's from coming on.:woot:I still use that to this day.

Back
Top Bottom