New Epileptic who can't spell

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Trudas

New
Reaction score
:roflmao: Hi I am 38 years old. 2 weeks ago I ran my car into a building and was diagnosed with having a seizure. I have had aphasia episodes previously but never diagnosed until the accident. did not hurt anyone, just my car. I am a marketing person who drives for a living at a homecare company out of Wisconsin. I was put on Keprra. Unable to drive for 90 seizure free days. Will have to take FMLA in a couple weeks from work. My seizures consist of paralysis of right side, aphasia and I guess blacking out. Not sure what the name is for it because I kept telling the dr it was a TIA (I feel that's better than a seizure). Not happy about any of this and hate the weirdness I feel every day on the Keppra and does the strangeness get better with this medication?:giveup:

I have had awful experiences with Keppra. If you want to hear about them then feel free to pm me.
Seems no point in needlessly writing them out longwindedly or worrying you if you aren't interested. :p x

Hey Trudas,
I was diagnosed at 16. I can only properly spell four letter inappropriate words, so no worries on the spelling problems. I failed most my spelling classes in grade school.
I have been on Keppra for so long I can't remember. Recently I have been taking Vimpat as well. Both have similar effects and will effect everyone very differently. Zara may have awful experiences with Keppra, while I only have positive results. I once accidently doubled my dosage from 1000 mg to 2000 mg. I had trouble staying awake that day. You'll hear of people complaining of major side effects at that dosage sometimes.

I only have good things to say about both medicines, so don't freak yourself out over them. Give them a chance and work with your doctor on it. When I was diagnosed I was on Depakote and I slept 13 hours a night, wherever I could. Often times on concrete or wood floors.

Best of luck :)

Hi Trudas, welcome to CWE!

Your seizures are most likely Complex Partial Seizures, which can involve partial impairment, aphasia, etc. The Keppra should help, but if it doesn't, or if you find that the "weirdness" is problematic or intolerable, ask your doc about other meds to try. A B6 supplement may help with some of Keppra's side effects, so give that a shot in the meantime.

Keppra is often one of the first meds precribed for seizures because you can ramp up on it fairly quickly. But that doesn't make it the best -- everyone reacts differently, and it may well be that there's another med out there that's a better fit.

Keep track of how you're feeling on the med and in general; a good diary can help you gauge how well your medication is working, what kinds of side effects it may or may not be causing, and whether the side effects are changing in any ways. As an added bonus, sometimes the diary can help you identify and avoid particular triggers that bring on the seizure activity.

Best,
Nakamova

keppra

Hi Trudas, I take 2000 of keppra and 300 of lamictal. Any AED's have the potential for such side effects but I have found Keppra to have less than most I have taken. It may just take a little time for you to get use to it.

I do take the B6 100mg a day. I still am very testy and I also was already on a medication for depression, and ADHD. Many health problems in the last year. I also have thyroid issues. I worry about all these different medications (including my nightly zyrtec for allergies) if any of it should not be taken together. Now I am trying to get my dr to sign my FMLA paperwork as I drive for my job and can't for awhile. They said I have to come in for it. UGH. Also one of my nurses stated that I should be having frequent blood tests and that was never mentioned and also that I may want to look at a diet to help with seizures??? all this information is overwhelming and i am getting married in one month and now i am worrying about having a seizure that day because of the possible stress. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. I so wished it was just TIA's :(

Yep. As usual, many things can effect epilepsy. Diet, like you said, is one of them. You will have to make many changes.

As for the wedding deal congratulations. I hate weddings, honestly. That's why I got eloped. You'll be fine, although I know me saying this will help you in no way. ;)

You think 3 months is bad? I live in a state that requires you to be seizure free for a year... I am taking Keppra XR, at first it made me tired when I was upping the dose. It went away, but it's unknown why but it failed to control my seizures. My neurologist said usually it causes irritability, but that can be corrected by taking vitamin b6. I think you should consult your doctor before you consider taking it though, just to be safe.

I don't know about your business, but please be extremely careful if you do get your license back. You may end up harming yourself or somebody else.

Keppra XR saved my life. My body doesn't react well to medications, so I had scary Kepprage, but I'm only 20mg of Citalopram that makes me a normal person. I got really lucky. Granted, I also take 2400mg of fish oil, a multivitamin and extra magnesium. The magnesium is for migraines.

I lost my license once, and it was terrible. I didn't even have a seizure, but it was a possibility so 90 days was handed to me too. It's miserable, but remember it's for everyone's safety, including your own.

Hope all works out. Chin up!

Thoughts about seizure medications

I've been on so many medications including Keppra. I had my first complex partial seizure when I was 38 and sometimes they would progress to generalized. I was put on a combination of Dilantin and Carbamazapine. Turns out that I am allergic to one, the other, or both and had the joy of hepatitis messing around with my liver. Fortunately one of my favorite RNs at my neurologist's office caught it and told me to go the ER immediately (where they gave me a huge dose of Dilantin before knowing that was the culprit). I now wear the allergy bracelet for those since Dilantin is usually what EMTs will give is there is a generalized seizure and someone calls for an ambulance.

I am currently on Depakote, which works very well. I will say this though..... I STRONGLY advice against Topamax. I was on it for a year and had irritability, was talking to myself, and finally had performed in a manner that showed I had schizophrenic reaction to the drug. It took five months to wean me off and the RNs said the nickname for that Rx is "Dopamax." I still love my doctor and the staff but they all lost a point for that one!!!

:roflmao: Hi I am 38 years old. 2 weeks ago I ran my car into a building and was diagnosed with having a seizure. I have had aphasia episodes previously but never diagnosed until the accident. did not hurt anyone, just my car. I am a marketing person who drives for a living at a homecare company out of Wisconsin. I was put on Keprra. Unable to drive for 90 seizure free days. Will have to take FMLA in a couple weeks from work. My seizures consist of paralysis of right side, aphasia and I guess blacking out. Not sure what the name is for it because I kept telling the dr it was a TIA (I feel that's better than a seizure). Not happy about any of this and hate the weirdness I feel every day on the Keppra and does the strangeness get better with this medication?:giveup:

You are the first person, excluding me, describing your symptoms as TIA's. For 3 1/2 yers I really did believe I was having TIA's and mt neuro treated me for TIA's. I had a stroke the day before those symptoms started. No one put all the pieces together until I admitted to experiencing phantom odors. My spelling also terrible but it was bad before the stroke and seizurers.

i used to have really bad aphasia, even more so on a different med combo I think,

Sorry to hear about your accident! Hope you're okay. I'm currently on Keppra & have been for two years .-. Hasn't worked at all! And the doctors are refusing to take me off it. I hope it works for you though! :D

Back
Top Bottom