new here

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I am new. My daughter is 32 and starting having seizures about 3 1/2 months ago. She has a two year old little girl and it has been tough. She has gone once again almost a month without a seizure. Hers are brought on by a cough....weird huh. The meds make her tired and miserable. I know she takes keppra and something else. My question is....do any of you guys/gals get a second opinion? Thank you

Scrappee13

Welcome to CWE, Yes it has happened that a second opinion is needed.

Hi Scrappee13 --

I moved your post to give you your own thread. Welcome to CWE!

It's a great idea to get a second opinion, especially if you don't feel your daughter has confidence in her neurologist. She should also ask about other medication options if the current ones are causing intolerable side effects.

Hi, Scrappee13
Welcome!
Yes, definitely additional opinions can be needed to get answers and the best care possible. Wishing the best for you and your daughter.

Welcome to CWE. Bernard made CWE out of love for his wife Stacy. That love permeates throughout the whole forum.

I move about every 7 years. Then, I get a new neurologist. Since my first one was real good, I have always been referred to good ones.

Is there a reason why she wants a second opinion? What medicine is she on?

Luckily the neuro I got from the start was great and I haven't ever felt like I needed to get a second opinion. However I've had other medical issues happen that I've gotten second and even third opinions for.

I've been on several different meds through the years. Either they didn't work, caused more seizures or I couldn't handle the side effects.

If there was an issue with the seizures my neuro would usually take me off of them quickly. With the side effects you usually have to wait it out a few weeks to see if they go away or if you can handle them. If not then you should talk to the dr about having them changed, mine always did.

second opinion is always good if you not happy..I have in the past had 3 and 4 opinions for my daughter and myself

Hiya Scrappee

2nd 3rd and 4th opinions are often a good thing depending on how much faith you place in the first one.

You mentioned that she went "almost a month" and then had another one. Did the seizures perhaps go along with her menstrual cycle? There is something called catamenial epilepsy that a lot of women find is a pattern for them.

I have had about 4 different neurologists in my time having seizures.
My latest one I met yesterday.

The tiredness and miserablebess (totally not a word) could be the Keppra.
Awful side effects for emotionally if you are prone. X

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I lost count of the doc both me and daughter have had over the years.it mainly just me now and I can't be asked see anymore sick to death of hospitals...yes I have heard about coughing and e.

Back
Top Bottom