New and looking for help

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

nikkimom

New
Reaction score
My 21 y/o daughter has been living with seizures since she was 14. They wre under control for about 5 years however she had severe cognitive effects and she had to come off the medication. The past two years have been a nightmare first her choice of boyfriends were awful and they wre abusive and to top everything off her seizures are not controlled and she has been on multiple combos of meds with no help. This past year her seizures are worse and she is causing sever trauma to her head and face when she falls from the seizures. Her doctor is a fellow at one of the NYC hospitals and even she is baffled by the lack of response to the meds. My daughter has tried to attend college and was unable to complete classes, she does not work and she feels her life is useless. I do not know where to turn and am looking for some hlep and advice. Thank you. Nikkimom

Nikkimom,

I am so sorry your daughter is going through this. It's so sad at her young age she has to experience it all. And I know it isn't easy for you, either.

Do you know where her seizures originate? Is surgery or a VNS an option for her?

Thank you for your understanding. In a week they are doing another MRi to see if anything has changed which I doubt but the doctor seems to think they are originating in the frontal lobe and we are also have a 48 hour eeg done again as well. We have not ruled out surgery but the insurance wants us to exhaust every medication first. nikkimom

Hi nikkimom, welcome to CWE!

I'm sorry you and your daughter are going through such a rough patch. What meds has she tried? What other ones has her neurologist suggested?

Has she noticed any particular triggers for her seizures (like fatigue, or low blood sugar)? Does she get any warning before they happen?

Best,
Nakamova

Back
Top Bottom