Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Marks

New
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm a new member to this forum & thought I'd take a quick moment to introduce myself to this forum such that others may benefit from my experiences & maybe visa versa?
I'm male & from the UK & I'll be honest I'm suffering big time at the moment going through a medication change & as I'm sure some of you have may have been in a similar position in the past?

Welcome Marks!
You've definitely come to the right place I'm changing meds at this time as well, after being on Dilantin for over30 yrs. I'm transitioning to Keppra XR due to concerns about side effects and long term effects of being on this medication. I'm staying on Dilantin until I reach a therapeutic dose of Keppra. The first day I took Keppra I felt a little dopey and slept a LOT but it's been 3 days now and I must say I feel pretty good. Of course, everyone is different.
What are you taking? What are you transitioning to? Why are you changing meds? What kinds of problems are you having with your medication change? What type seizures do you have? The more info you give the more others can help. Share as much or as little as you feel comfortable with. I'm fairly new here too but you are among friends here. No judgements, just people who are going through the same thing you're going through and helping each other face this monster called epilepsy.
Welcome.

Cindy

Hi Marks, welcome to CWE :)

I think many people have problems re-adjusting to a new regime, and different meds affect different people differently lol so for some it's just a few days with minor side-effects and no extra seizures, and others really get hit hard by it.

Doctors usually advise ramp up/wean down periods that are way too short (IMHO) and this is usually the cause of bad side-effects in the adjustment period- unless of course the new drug is just not for you and you need to try another instead.

One thing I will recommend though, is check the side effects listed for your meds, and make sure you're not having any of the ones listed as dangerous/critical e.g the bad rash a few people can get when switching to lamotrogine/Lamictal.

Hopefully you'll balance out soon enough though, and the new meds will have a positive affect on your seizures. During the changeover period it's even more important than ever to keep a good record of every thing that's happening, so you can supply your doctor with as much info as possible if necessary.

Good luck, and I hope things calm down for you quickly.

Marks

You are very welcome, you will meet great people here who will try to help you as much as you help. I agree with SlimBlue, I have been changing meds myself lately and its not much fun. I hope things calm down for you shortly.

Hi Marks it's nice to meet you.

This is a very good place for help and advice. Many people have gone through the same things as others have and can relate very much to what's going on with you.

I'm probably going to be changing medicines soon. I've been on the same medicines for years but side effects from one of them have started to come one and I know I'm going to be taken off of it and put on something else. I'm not looking foreword to it but hopefully things will go smoothly.

Welcome Marks. Interesting place to visit wear one can read from others their days, problems, and possible good steps forward.

Back
Top Bottom