Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Army Vet

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hello,

As you can see I am new and thought I would introduce myself here. I found this website and it definitely seems like a place I can relate to. Here's my story.

I joined the Army Reserves in 2004 and deployed overseas in 2005. Got back in 2006 and all was well. Started going to college on the GI Bill with typical things in life happening here and there (car getting a flat tire, a fuse blowing in the fusebox, changing majors in college etc.) Life is life. One Friday before drill in October 2009 I start going into blank stares. Of course I have no recollection of them and my parents (my mom especially) is freaking out. Needless to say I didn't go to drill that weekend. I started to see a neurologist and he put me on lamictal and things got back to normal.

In October 2012 I got out of the military (mainly because my contract was up, trust me the Tricare is nice.) I graduated college May 2013 and got a temp job last summer. Found a better job this past spring and it was more in my field and it had great potential. The only problem was that the seizures had apparently made a comeback. They hadn't officially hired me yet. I was still just a hire-on if you want to call it that. So after a month I wasn't the "right one for the job." They didn't tell me that, but I think that's what happened. Apparently I zoned out while on duty, but I didn't know. I didn't seem to have any episodes at home so I didn't go to my neurologist. I just let it slide.

After that happened I was able to get my old job back from last year (they let me go because they ran out of work, I didn't quit) and I worked there for three months. Then a college buddy found another great job for me in my field. Got it all squared away and I started working. After ten days they let me go saying I wasn't the "right one for the job." I talked to my buddy and he was kind of shy about the situation. I was like well tell me. What did I do?! Did I piss someone off? Did I do something very unsafe? Did I "zone" out? Then he finally looked at me like I slapped him in the face.

Anyway so in the last six months I've lost two great potential career starting jobs with benefits, my driver's license (again for six months), and an engineering degree that might be worthless now. I'm in contact with the VA right to see if they can assist me any, but I'm not holding my breathe any. Apparently the type of seizures I am having are complex partials. When and if I'm having others I have no clue. My dad and I were on the golf course yesterday when I had a 30 second episode. I don't really recall much other than coming out of it confused and him telling me I had one. The only good thing for my case is that they did start happening while I was in the military.

Sorry for the rant, but it does feel good. :woot:

Army Vet,
Welcome. I know exactly where you are coming from.
First, have you applied for disability with the VA? This may be a great place to start.
I was medically retired because of my seizures. I have been rated 100% going on ten years now, and have gotten excellent treatment through the VA. Could you seizures be caused by a head injury you received while deployed? A medical exam by VA doctors may determine that.

I was an Air Traffic Controller so when I started having them, I was downed. Looking back, I was stupid because I did not let anyone know about them for about a year because I knew I would be retired and I knew that I would never be able to control again. I thought that I could just deal with them. Well because of my gran mals (there is a new term but I still call it that) which occurred about 5-6 times a month, before I received treatment, my right shoulder was totally destroyed. I now have a rebuilt shoulder and a fake backbone.

Regarding jobs, if you are rated with the VA, they may put you into the VocRehab program. This will help you find employment. I am currently working part time for the Los Angeles Habilitation House at the Naval Medical Center San Diego. They would put me on full-time but I have many tests coming up that may keep me away from my job 2-3 weeks at a time. They need someone there everyday to do the job so me and another disabled Vet split time during the week.

Just a little background about me. I am not sure where you live, but it will not hurt in the least to go get evaluated at the VA. I am lucky. I live and work in San Diego and I have access to them anytime I need it.

Hi Navy Veteran,

Thanks for the welcome. I started talking to the VA a couple of weeks ago. The guy I needed to talk to was on vacation of course, but I was finally able to talk yesterday. I'm sure you've heard of it, Epilepsy Centers of Excellence. I'm on standby right now with my phone, waiting for him to call me to get some paperwork together.

I haven't ever had any major head injuries, but the seizures did start to just happen out of nowhere. My situation isn't nearly as severe as yours. They don't happen as often and are just complex partials (with some simples on the side, who knows, I sure don't.) However it is very annoying. One question, if I do get some kind of disability (i.e. not 100% but something) would they help with medical costs and/or medicine? Luckily since I'm not currently working I am still able to stay with my parents until this thing blows over, but it is still a financial burden.

As for rated with the VA, are you referring to your disability rate? Right now I live south of Knoxville. Not necessarily a "hick" town, but not a city with real good public transportation either.

Hey, Army Vet. Just wanted to say welcome. I certainly understand the "zoning out" thing. That is how things started with me 13ish years ago.

It doesn't feel good and it takes some time to get things balanced out. We're all here to support each other and handing out and picking up rants it's part of that.

Welcome.

Hi N Sperlo,

Thanks for the welcome. Thankfully I'm just zoning out mentally and not physically (knock on wood).

How are things going with you if you don't mind my asking?

I'm great. Seizures are fully controlled. The only thing I need to fight now are side effectsof medicine, and there really isn't much in that subject to complain about.

I'm an open book. Feel free to ask whatever you want publicly or privately.

Hello Amy and welcome,

Sorry to hear your positions concerning jobs such a shame but I do hope something works out...regarding financial wise also.

Regarding blankness that can be the start of petit mal seizures or even autism starting..where you haven't got a clue what's happened.

Don't worry about ranting as we all need it sometimes and I should know been at it for years lol

:hugs: Terry

Thanks for the welcome Tez 20.

How funny. I mean I just can't make this stuff up. I'm not that good. Honest!

So I get a call from the VA, Veterans Affairs, (finally) on Tuesday and have a good 20 minute conversation and the lady gets me some information on some forms to fill out and a person's name to help me fill out the paperwork. Not only that, she emails the guy and tells him my situation (misspelled my first name, haha) and asks him to help me with it and she copied me to the email. He replied and said okay, but passed the buck to another guy saying he'd be the guy for the job and copied me to that email. Okay, fine. I don't care, let's just get this party started.

So that all happened on Tuesday. I waited all day on Wednesday for this other guy to either call or email me, but nothing happened. So Thursday afternoon rolls around and I decide to email this guy directly to introduce myself, give a brief history and that I look forward to his assistance. Still not a peep after lunch today. So I decided to email the VA back to give a status report. Saying very politely that I understand that I'm not the only person they have on the books, but I am on the books aren't I? The lady quickly and politely replied within 15 minutes and said yes and that since it was a holiday week to give an extra couple of days until early next week and if that would be okay. Well okay, I could live with that. I'm not priority number over everyone else just because.

So anyway to my surprise the guy called within two hours (I was counting on next week). I answer the phone and the guy introduces himself as do I. He asks how he can help me and I tell him my story. After all of that he asks, so, how can I help you?

Are you serious???

I just told you my situation!!!

This person connected me to this person. This person connected me to that person. And that person connected me to YOU. How can YOU help me?!?!

I don't know! YOU tell ME!!!

Just venting again...

:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome Tez 20.

How funny. I mean I just can't make this stuff up. I'm not that good. Honest!

So I get a call from the VA, Veterans Affairs, (finally) on Tuesday and have a good 20 minute conversation and the lady gets me some information on some forms to fill out and a person's name to help me fill out the paperwork. Not only that, she emails the guy and tells him my situation (misspelled my first name, haha) and asks him to help me with it and she copied me to the email. He replied and said okay, but passed the buck to another guy saying he'd be the guy for the job and copied me to that email. Okay, fine. I don't care, let's just get this party started.

So that all happened on Tuesday. I waited all day on Wednesday for this other guy to either call or email me, but nothing happened. So Thursday afternoon rolls around and I decide to email this guy directly to introduce myself, give a brief history and that I look forward to his assistance. Still not a peep after lunch today. So I decided to email the VA back to give a status report. Saying very politely that I understand that I'm not the only person they have on the books, but I am on the books aren't I? The lady quickly and politely replied within 15 minutes and said yes and that since it was a holiday week to give an extra couple of days until early next week and if that would be okay. Well okay, I could live with that. I'm not priority number over everyone else just because.

So anyway to my surprise the guy called within two hours (I was counting on next week). I answer the phone and the guy introduces himself as do I. He asks how he can help me and I tell him my story. After all of that he asks, so, how can I help you?

Are you serious???

I just told you my situation!!!

This person connected me to this person. This person connected me to that person. And that person connected me to YOU. How can YOU help me?!?!

I don't know! YOU tell ME!!!

Just venting again...

:)
Hi Amy,

It seems to me like the first person you was intouch with as most likely lost your details so the bucks is being past from one to the other...disgusting mate.

If you don't mind asking...what are you actually needing more from VA :?:

Like I said keep on venting because flustration won't help what ever is happening with you on a mental basis anyway.

Hi Terry,

I started having these seizures while in the military and the VA has the facilities and should at the very least find out what is causing them and the type (i.e. simple seizures, absence seizures, partial complex seizures, petit mal seizures, PNES, all of the above etc.) If I'm entitled to disability then so be it. Trust me that's not what I'm looking for.

Right now I'm just trying to get into the system and get some tests done through the VA to see if they can figure out what's wrong with me that my neurologist hasn't since they have more equipment and stuff.

Sometimes I just feel like a lab rat with my neurologist, "Here, take this twice a day. Let me know if you have any problems. See you in three months."

Anyway, the point in this case was that I did what I was suppose to do and ended up getting talked to liked I was an idiot, lol

Last edited:
Hi Army Vet, Thanks for you service. Sorry you have to go through all the bullshit you are going through, there should'nt be any waiting lists or "buck-passing but I guess that's the way some get their bonus checks at the end of the year. Do your research online and be forearmed when you eventually see the doc again. I was an ICU nurse and had my first seizure at a patients bedside. I woke up in the ER and the first question i asked was did I wet my pants? I have tried to return to nursing but between the seizures and the neds my memory and some cognitive skills are fried. When I applied for disability I was informed I didn't have enough "points because i did not work the last 5 years. I have worked since i was 14, I am 44 now. I agree in life we have to take our lumps, but sometimes you wish do the lumps get returned/

Hi Terry,

I started having these seizures while in the military and the VA has the facilities and should at the very least find out what is causing them and the type (i.e. simple seizures, absence seizures, partial complex seizures, petit mal seizures, PNES, all of the above etc.) If I'm entitled to disability then so be it. Trust me that's not what I'm looking for.

Right now I'm just trying to get into the system and get some tests done through the VA to see if they can figure out what's wrong with me that my neurologist hasn't since they have more equipment and stuff.

Sometimes I just feel like a lab rat with my neurologist, "Here, take this twice a day. Let me know if you have any problems. See you in three months."

Anyway, the point in this case was that I did what I was suppose to do and ended up getting talked to liked I was an idiot, lol
Hello Amy,

I've been reading up on it and they should be running tests more than an hospital to get your results confirmed and if you do have epilepsy a lot of the time you have to stop work according to the seizures and how often you have them and how bad.

I hope this link can help you further for getting intouch ...although you have the links already.

http://www.epilepsy.va.gov/

I remember when I was 18 I went to the military base and asked if I could join. I felt so crappy when I left because they told me there's no way that I could. I was devastated. Now that I'm older I totally understand because I have grand mal seizures. It would be ridiculous for me to join. I jut thought I would let that out since your a service person and were ranting.

I agree-- do your research, and find out completely what kind of benefits, care and services you are entitled to, whether your service in the military was the cause of your epilepsy or not. You developed epilepsy while in the military, and I don't know a thing about this--but there could well be some firm rules about the type of ongoing care and benefits you are entitled to, so you aren't waiting for this person to tell YOU--so that you already know. It's best to not wait for some apathetic pencil pusher to be looking out for your best interest (not that he won't, but you probably would be best served to be ready to be your own advocate). Welcome to the site!!!

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome and suggestions.

Oh trust me I've been doing my homework/research. I was finally able to get ahold of ~MY~ VA rep this afternoon (I contacted him, he didn't contact me) and I'm scheduled to see him on Wednesday to get some paperwork started and we'll see where it goes from there. He suggested I bring any and all medical records I have so I'm on standby now with my neurologist's nurse to get a copy or for her to send a copy out to them. My VA rep is a pretty good guy so I'm not going to throw him under the bus, but he didn't seem too sure when I asked him about my condition before all of this started so that kind of made me mad. However, he has helped a lot of vets (my dad included).

Thanks again for all of the support! I'll keep you all in the loop!

Army Vet,
Do you have or have access to your military health records? I am not sure how it is done now, but when I was in they were all done on paper. I have two full folders of everything medical that I had done throughout my entire career. I know they want these records in order to determine if it was caused by something that happened on active duty.
The process is a long one, especially now that there is a back log from all servicemen leaving from over ten years of war. The VA management system is being overhauled right now because of the scandal of guys dying because of long wait times or "phony" lists.
Also, if you are denied or disagree with the board, you have the option to appeal. If you Google VA disability ratings epilepsy, you can open up a word document that gives specific details for epileptic disability; how frequent, severity etc. Each neurological disorder is given a certain percentage rating. If you also have other service connected disabilities, these are factored into your overall rating using a formula only the government could come up with :ponder: I am rated 100% for my epilepsy, 30% for my shoulder, and 10% for high blood pressure. In the "real" world, I would have a 140% disability rating, though you can't get over 100%.
Just hang in there. It is slow, but if you are rated, it will be a big help to you from having inexpensive healthcare with a very low co-pay or if you are rated at 100%, full "free" (well, you did earn it) healthcare without any co-pay. Do you have access to Tricare? That is also a very good program.

Another thing you may want to look into. The DAV (Disabled American Vets) can help you out. They may be able to provide a mediator to help with your case. I have used them on occasion and they have been very helpful.

Hi Navy Veteran,

I don't have my military medical files with me, but that's where I don't know if they would help much since I don't think there would be anything that would show a reason as to what started the seizures (i.e. an explosion or a hit to the head). However, I will have my private neurologist files with me while I go talk to the VA person. That's where I don't really know what's causing them and if the military has anything to do with it, but they did start while I was in the military after 5 years when I joined. Also I was honorably discharged with a note at the bottom stating that "soldier was found to have a medically disqualifying condition by the Command Surgeon." Hence why I could not re-up. That's where I don't know if it's PTSD or what, but figure I would try to get into the system and get over to the Epilepsy Centers of Excellence and see if they could get some more info on me. When I talked to the woman at the Durham, NC center (very nice) she said that since it started while I was in the service that I should have a good chance of getting something. Worse case scenario is they say no so why not try, right? I didn't think about the DAV. Thanks for the thought!

Army Vet,

Is there anyway you can get them? You may not think there is anything in them, but I know that the VA will want to have them because you are trying to get a disability rating due to a service related injury.
Also, if you weren't allowed to re-up because you had a medically disqualifying condition, according to medical, there must be a reason. This would have to be in your medical record.
When I went through the process, they went through my entire medical record, but they also had their own doctors examine me. They will take all the health records you have now, but they will also do their own medical evaluation. Remember, if they decide you are not eligible for a rating or just the bare minimum you have the right to appeal. This is where the DAV can help.
Have you had the chance to look up the different criteria for neurological disabilities and the ratings for each one? Just from a lay person's perspective, you will have a better idea into what rating you may be given. Again, this is all based on a thorough examination of your health records (sorry to keep rambling on).
Now for something completely different. What was your job while in (Navy uses the term rate)? My avatar shows the rating badge for a Senior Chief Air Traffic Controller, E-8. The symbol above the chevrons is a microphone with wings. Where did you serve overseas? I have been stationed at NAS Rota, Spain and NAS Sigonella, Sicily. I have also made 1 Med-cruise and 4 West-Pacs. I know this has nothing to do with what we are discussing. Just trying to get a little of your background.

Navy Veteran,

Sorry for the delayed response. I went and saw my local VA rep on Wednesday. I wasn't able to get my military medical files, but I did have all of my personal medical files as to when this started happening. He gave me VA Form 21-0960C-11 to give to my neurologist to fill out and return. He asked for my bank account which sounds like reimbursement for travel expenses so that sounds good (i.e. they'll take a look at me), but who knows. Again, I wouldn't worry about this guy stealing. He's a combat vet himself and helped my dad get 100% disability with a heart condition due to agent orange in Vietnam so I trust him. He also gave me some advice as to how to handle the jerk that I mentioned above who didn't want to help me even though I was told he would be the one to go to and who to contact. If this doesn't work out then I'll definitely get some help through the DAV to see if they can repeal it.

Also, I am still confused on the rating. If I were to just get say only 10% rate disability would they then help with the full cost of my condition (i.e. pay for needed tests and medications) or would it just be the rate (i.e. just pay 10% of the costs)? I know you get a cash allowance, but the biggest thing for me is the health costs. I had to pay $200 for a lab test for a blood sample today after a $35 copay. Being unemployed that isn't easy. Thankfully I have two parents that are willing to help me.

As for me, you're making me look bad. :paperbag: I was just a Spec-4 in an Engineer Battalion stationed on the border of Kuwait and Iraq in 2005.

Back
Top Bottom