Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Army Vet.

Sorry, I did not mean to make you look bad. I just spent more years in than you. Trust me, when I made Chief, I was only occasionally able to work position. The majority of my time was spent doing evals and paperwork. I still had to have an up-chit (medical clearance from a flight surgeon) but my epilepsy caused me to be downed, and I was not cleared to go to sea. This ended my career. Man, I would have hit 27 years last week. Time sure does fly.

As for receiving health insurance from the VA, your best bet would be to Google VA health insurance. It will give you links to the VA website and other sites that deal with Veterans disability issues. They could have the answers you are looking for. I would post them but it says I have not been around long enough.

I was just messing with you Navy Veteran. :shake:

Status Report

Went and saw my neurologist today. Same $#!t, different day. I've had a few more episodes since last time I saw him and he upped my dosage over the phone and scheduled an appointment for today (this was three weeks ago). So today's appointment was all about, so have you had anymore episodes since I've upped your medication? Well not that I know of. Great! Well since everything seems to be working let's keep everything the way it is. Here, take this down to the lab and get a blood sample so I can check your medication levels. See you in six months!

Well thanks (NOT!) That was a waste of $250 and time! My appointment was at 11:15 AM and I didn't get called back there until 11:55 AM. Then he didn't walk in there until 12:05 PM. Then he only talks to me for five minutes. I was hoping to at least have him look over the VA form and make sure he filled it out correctly, but "it's four pages long I don't have time right now," lol. I understand doctors are busy, but I dropped this form off three weeks ago! He'll "have it ready sometime this afternoon." Well if I would've known that then I would've had my appointment in the afternoon then. Actually if I would've known what I know now I would've just canceled the appointment altogether, lol.

Between my having nothing to do (due to being unemployed since I can't drive at the moment) and my dad being retired, things are about to get very entertaining around here with this neurologist not doing his job...............

Last edited:
Just curious, have you been able to do some research on the VA? If you only get a 10% rating, that will be a big help when it comes to paying for your medications and tests.
If and when you do get set up to have your case evaluated, not sure if I told you this, but if for any reason you disagree with your rating, you have the right to file an appeal. DAV will be able to help you tremendously if you go that route.

I have looked into the VA and have seen where they can help. I don't care if I only get 10%. If it helps pay for my medical expenses to find out whats wrong with me so that I can get back to a "normal" (whatever that means, HA!) life then they can keep the rest. First thing's first I've got to get my foot in the door.

My dad and I were able to go and get the form today from him. He didn't fill it out exactly how I wanted him to, but it's a start and useable (i.e. all of the things that are wrong with me and my ability to work etc). After that we took it to the VA center here in town and left it for the VA rep. So we'll see what happens.....

Well an update on the VA.

I finally got all the paperwork turned into the VA last Fall. However, in January they denied my claim. They said my seizures were due to a child illness when I was six months old. Funny, because it sure didn't stop them from taking me into the military. Plus I haven't had a seizure since that illness (25+ years). Give them an excuse and they'll take it to deny you.

Anyway, I took it to my local VA representative here and told him. We've talked to my neurologist and he says he doesn't believe the two are related. There has been a recent study that the burning oil wells/pits over there have caused some guys/gals to get seizures. My seizures started three years after my deployment. My VA representative told me to get a written statement from my neurologist saying that he believes my illness is NOT related to my current seizures and then we'll file an appeal. This guy is a former veteran himself and helps all he can.

Some good news. Just got a call from the VA. Being a combat vet, there's an insurance medical program that I'm entitled to that can help with my medications and other procedures. Only problem is the wait time. However, I just got a call today to get scheduled for a video EEG within the next week or so and the VA will cover the cost. Don't know if they'll find anything, but it can't hurt.

Thanks for the update. I hope the VA comes to its senses and responds to your appeal -- it's gott to be frustrating to have to jump through so many hoops.

Back
Top Bottom