new member- long post

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Wing nut

New
Reaction score
Hello all, I am a 43 year old male, am very healthy( in most ways) , and have recently had my first 2 tonic clinic seizures. The first occurred on new years eve, it happened just prior to waking up, it lasted several minutes according to my wife. I was hospitalized for 3-4 days - I have only faint recollections of any of the post-ictal period , nor of the seizure. I do remember the cut tongue and sore teeth!
I had an MRI- normal, and an EEG for 24 hrs. Normal as well.
I was started on Kepra in the hospital which I hated due to sleepiness, etc.
I went to a Recommended neurologist that I really like after being discharged, and started on lamotrogine and stopped Kepra. I had a second t/ c seizure while on the low dose of lamotrogine again just prior to waking. Again it was several minutes in duration. I did even more damage to tongue and teeth. ( that is such a pain literally).
I am now on 150 mg and have not had another seizure ( I am knocking on wood while typing that)

I used to think that I had attacks of vertigo starting several years ago. These would feel like falling thru a tunnel and often include bizarre hallucinations and confusion as to what was real and what was a hallucination. Now we assume those are petit mal seizures. they occurred most commonly while exercising .

I am writing this long post while suffering from insomnia from my lamotrogine. And I have been having a weirdly altered sense of taste - is that common?

My post ictal phases have been hard - I really think I am fully functional but will not remember anything from the week or so after the t/c seizure. I am a veterinarian and it makes work difficult as I do not remember what is going on with my cases.

Anyway , I really appreciate having found this forum. And I apologize for this long rant.

Hi wing nut.

I'm trying to figure out how "wing nut" and "veterinarian" go together. :D

I wanted to pop in and say welcome. It sounds like your medicine is holding up and hopefully it continues to. Sometimes it just takes a few tries to get the meds ironed out.

Your vertigo and hallucination "fits" sounds like a simple partial (aka aura). I don't know if some doctors include them in the "petit mal" family. I've had the "vertigo" myself, but never any visual hallucinations. I believe some here have.

I've had altered tastes after a complex partial, but that may be different. Someone else may be able to answer that one better than me.

I don't think it was a long rambling rant. Rather short compared to some. :)

Welcome

Hey thanks for the message. Wing nut was an old favorite dog, and I am a horse veterinarian.
I did not even address the fact that my job involves driving all day from farm to farm.
So now I have a driver. Here if I am seizure free for six months I can drive again.
That is my current goal.

After many of my seizures I will loose memory. The worse the seizure was the longer the memory loss.

When I had my very first seizure it was horrible. I had to be put into a coma because the seizures wouldn't stop. When I came out of the seizure I lost almost 10 years of memory. There are a few things still up there but not much.

I've had epilepsy for about 11 years now. At first my seizures were pretty bad and very close together (never really had tonic colonics though) and after them I may have lost days to weeks of memory. Now it's not too bad but if I do have several seizures close together I will lose memory of things that happened before it.

My memory in general still isn't good. After a few months I'll start to forget things.

Back
Top Bottom