new member still in denial..

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi all,
My first ever post to a forum, apologies if it is long winded... I started having nocturnal seizures (grand mal) 10 years ago when my youngest daughter was born - I am 41. It was a scary time, not knowing what was happening, and living in a small town (Australia) I had to wait 9 months to see a neurologist. He literally gave me 2 minutes of his time and said 'you have had more than 2 seizures so you have epilepsy'. I just couldn't accept it. I went through years of trying different meds, stopping meds because I hated taking them, having seizures, depression, and on top of that having to accept the career I worked so hard for was no longer feasible (boat skipper - have to be seizure free and off meds for a year to work in that role again). I have never seen a neurologist again and have maybe seen my GP twice in that time after a seizure. I do read these posts and see how close everyone is with their doctors/neurologists and worry, and other comments about calling an ambulance if a seizure goes longer than 5 minutes - many of mine have and we never have called an ambulance...
I'm on 1000mg Epilim a day and haven't had a seizure for a year. I know I really am lucky compared to many, many others, with what they have to live through each day, but starting something like this later in life was a real shock, and a bitter pill to swallow.
Just wanted to put it out there, and I'd be happy for any comments or advice :)

skipperchick

I can tell you know one likes having seizures and I was diagnosed when I was 2 50 years ago and some peoplelonger ago than that.I've never been controlled and I'm refractory and the meds can depression and so can the seizures.

If I have a seizures that's life and I've sent my share of ambulances away.
I tried 23 didderent meds and I tried the MAD diet(modifiedatkins diet) because of my irregularheartbeat I ended having a mini stroke.

You need to listen to your neuro and what he says, I'm lucky I have a neuro who doesn'tleave the room till he answers all my questions. You need to go to someone other than your GPlike a neuro I've had bad luck with epileptologist.
Have you you tried going to a univ/hospital see a doctor?

Skipperchick:

You're not alone. First thing you gotta do is find a new Neurologist.

Like you I had my dream occupation stolen from me due to my epilepsy 35 yrs. ago.(Music Teacher and front man for a local rock band) (the Meds actually caused the problems)

Just because you've had more than two seizures, it doesn't necessarily mean that you have Epilepsy, you have a "seizure condition".

I also had my drivers licence revoked due to my very poor coordination, balance and gait.
The way I look at it, it could be a lot worse.

Good Luck ~ Hope you find a good neurologist.

Thanks for your replies :). Unfortunately due to where I live, the neurologist I previously saw is the only one within at least a 500km radius. I did speak to an epileptologist many years ago, but due to my financial circumstances my workmates at the time did a fund raiser to get me there, as I had to fly interstate. He wrote me off too, saying he thought it was just something caused by child birth and nothing really to worry about....
I totally agree that it could be way worse, and really (in a strange way) am thankful that I have nocturnal seizures so that my kids don't have to witness it.
It is a pity that I can't access a neurologist as easily as I could if I lived in a big city, and I'm pretty sure my dealing with the whole thing would have been a lot different if I was able to access medical advice and support at the beginning. I'm learning to live with it, and taming my stubborn side that refuses to accept into submission! ;)

Back
Top Bottom