New Person Here

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Afriend

Pillar
Reaction score
Hello All,

As my name implies, I have a friend with epilepsy. I know her since HS and over the years her seizures seemed to change. I witnessed many of them, including some really strange ones that had the Docs baffled. For example, in 1 and only 1, she spoke in clear words while in the seizure. I was driving and I don't recall what she said. But that was a 1 time thing.

She soon has to decide yes or no on surgery. They have done the 5 day EEG, 1 or 2 MRI's and 1 PET scan. They did the WADA. Still, they are uncertain where the seizures originate. On Mon 9/29/14 she's going in for electrodes deep in the brain. They think the seizures are coming from the left temporal lobe. They don't know which part yet. But there's a chance some may come from 1 of the occipital lobes.

I have 1 question today. Should the surgeon know exactly what part of the temporal lobe he's removing, or not? I have also read sometimes the surgeon is supposed to use is skill to identify the seizure tissue. My question is, I didn't think that was possible. Does brain tissue that causes seizures look different to the naked eye?

Back
Top Bottom