New to seizures, epilepsy, and this website

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

cpuerini

New
Reaction score
Hello, I'm completely new to all of this and very grateful to have somewhere, and someone, to talk to.

My name's Cait, I'm 24 and had my first seizure in October. I was very stressed, sick with some unknown virus (still don't know what it was, I was told samples were sent to the CDC), and just had a lot going on. I don't remember any of this (or many things from recent years), but I was told I came down to the kitchen in the morning, where my grandparents told me I said I didn't feel good, then fell to the floor and began convulsing. I was rushed to the hospital, where I continued to seize, in and out of status, for days, I'm not exactly sure how many but my father told me I had probably somewhere around fifty seizures. They finally seemed to get my seizures under control, and I returned home after three and a half weeks.

As I said, this was in October, and the summer I have completely forgotten- along with a lot of memories from recent years. Luckily I take lots of pictures wherever I go, and I blog and keep journals. I'm also very lucky that I haven't forgotten my boyfriend of two years, who incredibly was by my side through every moment of this, and still is. I have temporal lobe epilepsy, so I assume with that the memory loss is fairly common.

In November, I woke up one night when I was by myself very confused, picked up my phone and couldn't figure out what words or texts messages were. I figured I was just sleepy, and went back to sleep. Later, after researching, I realized I could have seized during my sleep.

In December, I awoke very confused again- but this time I awoke to my boyfriend hovering over me, asking if I was alright. After a few minutes of figuring out how to make my mouth move and speak, he informed me that I had had another tonic clonic seizure. We went to the hospital, where we found that the level of one of the meds I'm on, Dilantin, was very low. They gave me a booster dose, and sent me home.

Earlier this month, four weeks later after the last episode, I had another seizure. I was by myself, but this was the first time I was awake and aware that I was about to seize. And, let me say, I still cannot get over how terrifying it was. I was standing, half my body went numb so I sat on my bed, then I saw my fingers, hand, then arm start shaking- and I knew what was happening, but for some reason believed I could stop it. Next I knew, I was on my floor, had broken my glasses and cut my eye and was surrounded by paramedics. I was rushed to the hospital again, and again found that my Dilantin levels were low. They gave me more through an IV, which was very, very painful at first, so they had to dilute it with saline.

After all that, I guess I should say how this happened- I was in a motorcycle accident six years ago, had a bad injury which broke my jaw and left me deaf in my left ear- temporal region injury, hence this type of epilepsy I suppose.

So... that's the story so far. Other thoughts, though, include:

1) Medication I'm on- I've always been on, since I first was released from the hospital (please excuse my spelling)- Dilantin, Klonopin, Keppra, and.. oof one that I just can't remember at the moment, it's a big blue pill? After the last seizure, my neurologist started me on Lamictal XR. I've heard bad things about Dilantin, and I want to get off of it ASAP- my neurologist wants to get me off of it too.

2) I'm also on birth control (Tri-Sprintec, I've been on it for years), and these seizures seem to be happening every four weeks, when I'm on the placebo pills. I've heard of the hormonal type of epilepsy (can't think of the name at the moment, my memory and thought process really still aren't that great :/), and my neurologist is aware of this and said it may be possible.

3) I have a really great support system, and everyone keeps telling me that this is all about finding the right balance of meds, and to have patience. I have very, very little patience, and am slowly losing my mind being unable to work, go to school, or drive.

4) One of the things that bothers me the most is that the idea of having no control over my own body terrifies me. Every time I think of the last seizure I had my eyes tear up, and I have to find a way to get my mind off of it.

So... Any comments, advice, ways you have all dealt with this would be amazing to hear. I just want them to figure all of this out, and though I realize my life will never be the same, I want it to be stable again and be able to figure out my new "normal," and get it moving again.

Thank you so much for any type of response....

First, welcome to the CWE family, but I'm sorry for the reason you're here. There's no doubt that it can be a scary journey... so many of us can relate. I'm happy to hear that you have a good support system.

Patience, yes, unfortunately is a must. I'm also on dilantin, but now after my second surgery, it is one of the pills that I will eventually come off of, and I cannot wait.

Loss of control, independence, freedom can all be very difficult. Epilepsy doesn't have you, so don't let it control your life. I hope that the right meds are found for you, to control your seizures.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing!

I forgot to mention, before all this my primary care doctor had my on Adderall, I've read that ADHD can be caused by epilepsy. And also Xanax, because I had extreme anxiety with a public speaking class. I'm told by many people that those together themselves can cause seizures, and am definitely going to look into finding a new primary care doctor. Though, I still feel like I am having attention problems, but do not want to even think about asking about another type of medication..

welcome to the board.I took Dilantin for 34 years.I just came off Clonazepam.

I've never driven but have independence.I live were I can walk places and live near mass transit. I refuse to sit home and wait for my next seizure.

The sooner you accept your epilepsy and that you might have a seizure big deal I say.
I'm not controlled and if someone else cant accept it that's there problem.If u accept it others usually do.

Your just as normal as anyone accept for those times when you seize.Everyone has something they cant do.

Your lucky you have a good support system not everyone has one and I'm happy for you.

Do you have auras?

I normally live in the city, but now I'm staying in a really rural area with my mom, so I feel trapped..

The last seizure I had I did, my whole right side of my body went numb. But other than that I was either sleeping or don't remember the times I seized

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If you are finding that your birth control pill is having an effect on seizure control then talk to them about running packs back to back or using a different type of non cyclical contraception using the same hormones. I found the nexplanon better than any AED so far. Just didn't like that in me it caused low mood and banished libido. Frankly I'd rather have a rubbish brain than live depressed and sexless. You are not alone and still have options. Well done on remembering your boyfriend by the way! I don't remember much of my first year with now-husband.

Hi Cait

What a terrifying experience. I had noticed your post at work, but was too busy to sit down and read it all. Now I have and what you have gone through sounds so scary.

The loss of control is what scares me. My wife told me one night that I clinched my fists in my sleep as if I were going to seize, and I couldnt sleep because I was shaking from fear. Luckily all was well.
A loss of memory would scare me. I have so many wonderful memories.

It sounds like you are on the road to having the right chemical mix to get under control. A positive mind can do wonders. Take it easy and things will go better.

If you are finding that your birth control pill is having an effect on seizure control then talk to them about running packs back to back or using a different type of non cyclical contraception using the same hormones. I found the nexplanon better than any AED so far. Just didn't like that in me it caused low mood and banished libido. Frankly I'd rather have a rubbish brain than live depressed and sexless. You are not alone and still have options. Well done on remembering your boyfriend by the way! I don't remember much of my first year with now-husband.

I'm not sure what AED is?
I'm worried about switching because I've been on this for so long and have had no problems; I really wouldn't like to have my mood or libido affected.. Actually would have to think about it if that's what it would mean to get rid of the seizures. Really don't like the idea of having to consider that.
Haha thanks- but I'm sorry to hear that for you, I have forgotten a lot of memories with my boyfriend also, but I remember our first date and important memories, and I blog and write in a journal a lot so that has really helped.

Hi Cait

What a terrifying experience. I had noticed your post at work, but was too busy to sit down and read it all. Now I have and what you have gone through sounds so scary.

The loss of control is what scares me. My wife told me one night that I clinched my fists in my sleep as if I were going to seize, and I couldnt sleep because I was shaking from fear. Luckily all was well.
A loss of memory would scare me. I have so many wonderful memories.

It sounds like you are on the road to having the right chemical mix to get under control. A positive mind can do wonders. Take it easy and things will go better.

Thanks for reading, it has been really scary- but I feel a lot worse when I'm alone, the idea of having a seizure is of course terrifying period, but I'm with my boyfriend most nights and that helps a lot. I've only had two known seizures since getting out of the hospital/being diagnosed, so I'm hoping to not have many, or if at all any, more in the near future, but of course I understand there is always the chance..

I had my first seizure out of nowhere 11 years ago. They have no idea what caused it. After that seizure I lost about 10 years of memory. I didn't know who the guy was that I was dating at the time.

At first after each seizure I may loose a few days of memory. Now it's not that bad unless I have a good many very close together. My short term memory isn't that bad but my long term is. After about 6 months things start to fade away.

I took Depo-Provera birth control so I didn't have a period. I know there are women on here who have increased seizure activity during their periods.

It can take awhile to figure out what meds and dosages you should be on to help with your seizures. My neuro still changes them every so often.

It's great that you have a good support system. I do too and that helps a ton with things. I hate the fact that I'm unable to drive but I know that there is always someone that will take me somewhere when I need to go.

Keep a positive attitude toward things. Easier said than done sometimes though I know. The more upset you feel about what's going on the worse you're going to feel.

I'm not sure what AED is?
I'm worried about switching because I've been on this for so long and have had no problems; I really wouldn't like to have my mood or libido affected.. Actually would have to think about it if that's what it would mean to get rid of the seizures. Really don't like the idea of having to consider that.
Haha thanks- but I'm sorry to hear that for you, I have forgotten a lot of memories with my boyfriend also, but I remember our first date and important memories, and I blog and write in a journal a lot so that has really helped.

Sorry for quoting everything but otherwise I can't remember what I'm replying to, I'm the opposite to pp, Longterm memory is good, short term and memory formation is shot. If it's safe ask neuro about skipping the placebo week or having it less frequently. Believe me I understand not wanting to play with medications (in the last 21 years there have been many, usually in combination and with frequernt dose alterations). AED is anti epileptic drug. I don't remember things like my first kiss or the first with my hubby, or meeting his family, or him meeting mine but I remember proposal, wedding, most major things after 19 (aka after-pregabalin!)
You're going to be amazing! :hugs:

Sorry for quoting everything but otherwise I can't remember what I'm replying to, I'm the opposite to pp, Longterm memory is good, short term and memory formation is shot. If it's safe ask neuro about skipping the placebo week or having it less frequently. Believe me I understand not wanting to play with medications (in the last 21 years there have been many, usually in combination and with frequernt dose alterations). AED is anti epileptic drug. I don't remember things like my first kiss or the first with my hubby, or meeting his family, or him meeting mine but I remember proposal, wedding, most major things after 19 (aka after-pregabalin!)
You're going to be amazing! :hugs:

It's fine, I'm the same way I have to quote everything too my short term memory is awful.. I don't remember meeting a lot of my boyfriend's family either, but they know what happened so it's alright. I'm glad you remember the proposal and wedding, I'd definitely choose that to remember I if I had to pick between that or first date. & thank you! Trying my best to stay positive

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom