New to the Wonderful World of Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

arcrn

New
Reaction score
Hi there!
My son was diagnosed with Complex Partial Seizures - Epilepsy this week. He has been having seizures for the last month. He has had an abnormal EEG, and has been started on Keppra. His MRI was negative, thank God.

We have been *baffled* with the diagnosis of Epilepsy. The most common statement I've heard in this past week (even by my pediatrician-God help me) has been, "that certainly doesn't sound like seizures!" I am forced to recon with this and learn as much as possible! I am having a hard time and I KNOW my son is. He had 3 seizures yesterday and was actually trying to hide them from to keep me from worrying. He is refusing to talk about this with other people or family members and I know he has to deal with this in his own time. It just breaks my heart so see him with this. It's hard enough being a teenage boy at 14 in this world, and now this?
I know I shouldn't, but I am grieving for his loss of "normalcy" and the uncertainly of what the future holds with all this, it's just so troubling.

Thanks for reading.
Angie:crying:

I am afraid your sons type of seizures is a type I am unfamiliar with. However, my 12 year old daughter recently started keppra for absence seizures. I hate her mood swings but she has had no seizures since starting keppra a month ago. Perhaps your son will have the same good results. I find that mostly my daughter lives a very normal life with her epilepsy. I am sure in time your son will as well. Best of luck to both you!

arcrn

Not quite sure what you mean by baffled (in a way) but coming to terms with epilepsy is not easy and that statement "that certainly doesn't sound like seizures!" is not unfamiliar, the thing that gets me is if that is right tell me what it sounds like. Of course you are having a hard time right now you are a very concerned mother and worrying about your family is normal, it will be just as hard for you in ways to accept he has epilepsy and this thing of blaming yourself forget it, IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT.

Can you blame your son for not talking to others he has to come to terms with this and accept it and that is not easy for either of you. His loss of "normalcy" well in a way you are right he has to learn to take care of himself from now on and realise there is one or two things he cannot do but otherwise he will have a normal life. There are one or two things you need to start doing like keep a diary of the times, length ect of his seizures, even things he eats which you think cause him to have a seizure. Doing this helps identify triggers for him, there is more but that is enough to start with and lastly sit down with him and have a chat, it could take you 5 minuets or 5 hours just talk to each other and be truthful about how both of you feel. The crying is a good start and it helps you.

hi and welcome arcrn,

your news must be hard for you both! a teenager that is hormonal is a tough one in its own rights but this is defiantly going to take some adjusting, right now it may seem like trying to swallow nails, but Im sure with the support and guidance you will get here it well get easier to manage for you both, and it is certainty NOT YOUR FALT, there is no blame here it is just unfortunately what it is :(
I totally agree with Fedup, take notes make a diary, anything from doing homework, playing video games, being upset, over tired, eventually if they continue you might find a pattern as to what are "possible" triggers, I am in the process of doing the same for myself, keeping a diary of when they happen and what I was doing prior to my episodes occurring, I am not diagnosed with epilepsy but im daunted by the thought that this may be what I have and im nearly 32, I can only imagine how you guys are coping... if nothing else ill gladly talk mother to mother with you :) stay strong and have a good cry by yourself (I do when im overwhelmed)

Hi arcn, welcome!

I think most people associate with epilepsy with grand mal seizures (the kind where you lose consciousness and convulse). But in actuality, other kinds of seizures -- such as Complex Partials -- are more common. I think as you and your son learn more about these seizures, you will get more comfortable talikng about them, and coping with them will be easier. For now, the strangeness and newness can make it all seem overwhelming.

Is there an epilepsy support group in your area? You might find that there are teen groups that would be helpful for you son, when and if he's open to such a thing.

In the meantime, I hope the keppra helps. Your nearuo may have told you this, but Keppra can sometimes cause mood swings and anger (called "Kepprage"). If you notice this happening in your son, ask his doc about adding a B6 vitamin -- it's known to help with these particular side effects.

Best,
Nakamova

(hope I am replying correctly) :/

Is there an epilepsy support group in your area? You might find that there are teen groups that would be helpful for you son, when and if he's open to such a thing.

***I am definitely planning on checking out the support groups in our area. I think it would great for my son to meet others who deal with this.

In the meantime, I hope the keppra helps. Your nearuo may have told you this, but Keppra can sometimes cause mood swings and anger (called "Kepprage"). If you notice this happening in your son, ask his doc about adding a B6 vitamin -- it's known to help with these particular side effects.

***Do you know if it is common practice to have a battery of blood tests done to determine if the possible cause could be vitamin deficiencies?? I was reading something about this and was wondering if that is something to take to into consideration.

Thanks,
Angie

Often they'll do blood tests if someone is admitted to the ER with a seizure -- mostly looking for toxins, rather than deficiencies. Generally the neurologist won't test for nutritional deficiencies unless there are other symptoms that suggest such a deficiency. This is in part because severe deficiencies are rare, and also because it can be difficult to get accurate readings on some nutrients/elements based on blood levels.

Is there anything about your son's diet that might lead to a deficiency or imbalance?

Not particularly, other than I know our diet/food supply in America is not as nutritionally dense as it has been in years past. Just trying to figure out why this came on at 14.

Overall metabolism and hormones (even in guys) can start getting out of whack in the teen years, so that could be one factor. Of course not every teen has seizures, so as to why his seizure threshold was lower to start with, you may never know. The majority of us don't.

Some possible causes are head injury (even if it's not recent), or a genetic predisposition. But if those aren't in the picture, the next best thing is to look for those secondary triggers (as opposed to the primary cause). One of the things I discovered was triggering for me was too much diet soda, esp. on an empty stomach. Not only does diet soda have aspartame (which is basically the same as a neurotransmitter that excites the brain), but sodas in general interfere with magnesium absorption, and magnesium is very important for brain health. So it may be worth looking into dietary adjustments that could help your son.

Back
Top Bottom