Newly diagnosed and so lost and feeling kind of alone.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Sparkle

New
Reaction score
Figured it may be a good idea to come to those that may understand what I'm feeling. Resently diagnosed with simple Parcial seizures after passing out on and crashing on my Motocycle and for a moth being told I was having complexed absent migraines. Being I've had migraines all my life I knew something more was going on and finally the EEG came up positive and now I don't seems to want to except that either. Even though when I read forms I completely know and have expended the feelings that everyone's describing in seizures, problem even in past years. I keep thinking I should just be really happy I'm alive I didn't hurt anyone...but right now I feel like my whole life's in the air... I don't have the best support system, not sure when I can drive agin, have a very good job but not sure they would want to keep me with this condition. I just want my life back. And people just go so you can't drive for a while??? Really I'm a single mom...my jobs 2 1/2 hours away in my car with traffic, my job requires me to do call and be there within 30 minutes! I normally such a positive person and truly try to think everything happens for a reason but having a bit a hard time with this. I know it's only been a week and I need to let things fall into place but I'm a little scared and frustrated.

Hello Sparkle and welcome,
Seizures are quite a shock to the system and I totally understand how your feeling, as mine started at 15 and my life stopped at 18 with them besides losing my job and friends to top it all.
Be happy your still alive being a single parent and nobody got hurt in the proceeds...epilepsy can cause severe migraines to the head alone as I've also been there.
The only thing you can do is talk with who ever is over you at work and see what they say because at least your being honest.

((Hugs Terry))

Thank you. Yes just debating right now if I will let them know. Been doing a little research. Really trying to educate myself and learn from those whom have lived this life for longer than a week lol. I just don't want every little mistake I ever make from this point on in my life to be about this now I'm sure you can understand. Being I'm in the medical field I can see that happening and I kinda feel if my doctor says at some point they can be controlled with medicine maybe I'm better off keeping something's to myself.
On a side note one thing I've really noticed that makes it hard to face is if I left it to a doctors description of what I feel during a seizure verse what I really feel (that God To these Forms and people such as all of you sharing your stories) I'd just think I was going crazy.

Thank you. Yes just debating right now if I will let them know. Been doing a little research. Really trying to educate myself and learn from those whom have lived this life for longer than a week lol. I just don't want every little mistake I ever make from this point on in my life to be about this now I'm sure you can understand. Being I'm in the medical field I can see that happening and I kinda feel if my doctor says at some point they can be controlled with medicine maybe I'm better off keeping something's to myself.
On a side note one thing I've really noticed that makes it hard to face is if I left it to a doctors description of what I feel during a seizure verse what I really feel (that God To these Forms and people such as all of you sharing your stories) I'd just think I was going crazy.
Sparkle I let the firm where I work know and they kept my job open for 6mths but I'm going back when I was 18 I'm coming 46 now and once medicated I asked if I could go back to work they agreed, although set against it I never lasted the first day.
Education is the best knowledge on what your going through, as I've had my seizures 30yrs and members longer.
No your not going crazy but I will admit it's a lot to take in at first but don't let them hold you back from carrying on with your life best possible because I let the seizures control me mentally and it was the worst thing I did for quite a few years, until one day I thought I can't carry on like this no longer.

Did you kind of question if you were making it up in your head at first yet afraid if and when it would happen again?

Did you kind of question if you were making it up in your head at first yet afraid if and when it would happen again?
None of the questioning in my head happened as I had no choice because when my first grand mal happened to me I came from top to bottom of the stairs with just one leg shaking, had me in hospital an whole week and finally i properly convulsed on the Friday and after that my life turned upside down, fitting over 18 seizures daily.

Sparkle, you are in shock - quite understandable. You don't want to accept the diagnosis - quite understandable. You had your life in some semblance of an order and now "the rug has been pulled out from under you and you are in a free fall" - understandable.

Everything you are going through is very understandable and we have all been there.

Now is the time when "look at the positive side" and "everything happens for a reason" and etc are all simply platitudes. Not given that way but I highly suspect, from personal experience, that is the only way you can take them.

You are moving forward, very slowly yes but in a the right direction. In times like these, when I just want to know "what the heck the damn reason is", that I try to remind myself to take it all very slowly - get through life one moment at a time. Usually with lots of tears - my minds way of venting it's frustration.

Come here often - there are very good people who give very wonderful advice.

Glad you found CWE.

:hugs: Dolores

Sparkle, I'm in the same boat as you are as far as work. I'm a nurse. I feel like I need to let them know what is going on, but I don't want to because I'm afraid I'll be forces into a leave of absence or fired. My seizures are not new, I had them 6 years ago, but I'm having them again. I'll tell you what my mom told me "quit thinking negatively, everything always works out". As far as driving goes, there isn't much that can change there. Your Dr is mandated to tell you not to drive and in some states has to report it to the DMV to have your license officially revoked until cleared by a Dr. You can take it upon yourself to drive if you feel like you can but my old Neurologist pit it to me this way, "if you happen to have a seizure while driving and hit a school bus and kids are hurt or die, do you really want that on your conscience?" I hope you can do some research and come to grips with your diagnosis, I know it's not easy, I'm currently having to do it all over again.

Phredhead,

I'm also a nurse and haven't shared my diagnosis with my employer. I haven't had a seizure for over 4 years and it was about 4 years since the one before that. It really isn't the seizures but my meds that do a number on me. I work three 12 hour shifts and have an hour commute and I am just drained! Sometimes I wonder how much longer I can keep this up, then I feel like a lazy slug for thinking that way.

Cindy

Back
Top Bottom