night terrors

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
does anyone know what night terrors are and do they have the same sorta symptoms of epilepsy?

Thanx im just a bit confused nw cuz my friends auntie has night tremors and she says hwr symptoms r simiar to mine. My e.e.g and brain scan came back normal so am more confused cuz they are only happenin in ma sleep which is y am thinkin it might be night tremors.

I just did a quick research on this subject a couple of weeks ago, because a friends 3 yr old is dealing with this. There were a lot of posts by parents who mentioned, that after eliminating dairy, this symptom was resolved. Not sure if it is the constriction of the air passage that causes people to freak out when semiconscious or if it is the high rate of allergies that are connected to casein (the protein in dairy), but it is certainly worth a trial. It is not a quick fix, but after about 6-8 months of complete removal of dairy one would know if it was working or not. Certainly can't hurt.

yes thats very true im just so confused, i dno what to think im am such a worrier so i dont know if this would have anything to do wityh this, i personnaly think im being fobbed off as all my tests came back normal so how can i have epilepsy if there all clear?

For the record...
Epilepsy only means that you have had two or more unexplained seizures.
Seizures are only a symptom.
Doctors typically only treat symptoms. There are a rare few that don't.
It is difficult to find the cause. Some causes can be dealt with, others we have no control over.

My view is that if seizures have not been a symptom your whole life, or due to a trauma, in my opinion, it is worth the time and effort to work to raise your seizure threshold to the point it was at prior to the first seizure. You might never know the "exact" cause, but you can give your body a fighting chance to function at a level that does not result in a seizure.

Again, this is not medical advice, but formed from my personal experience and beliefs.

its ok any advice is great, my doctor and neuroligist arent that good, its took me 3 attempts to get them to agree that my medication isnt right for me, its been 2 weeks since they agreed am now waiting for my neuroligist to get back to me to sort this out. i have never ever suffereec with seizures nor do they run in the family i only had my 1st ever seizure october last year then same time every month until i was prescribed keppra i have never had a seizure since but the side affects are unreal. what do you mean raise my seizure threshold?

Every person has a tipping point. Some can abuse their body and never have a seizure, others for what every reason go over that limit and have a seizure. It is the bodies way of telling you that something is wrong.

Until October your body was able to stay below that seizure threshold. It has been researched that once the body has a couple of seizures it can learn to do this. This is know as kindling (you can Google this in how it relates to seizures). So it is best to get a handle on what the cause is early on, or at least raising the threshold, via nutrition, supplements the body is lacking, relaxation techniques, etc

Unfortunately we can't wait for a doctor to prescribe ways to be proactive. They simply don't have the time allotted to each patient to do this. So we need to work on this ourselves. Each individual is unique, and we each abuse our system differently. You have to figure out the ways to improve your overall health, mentally and physically to see if it will make a difference.

This approach worked for my daughter and myself, that is why I share our stories.

yes that makes sense but the only thing stopping me trying this is i dont know what is triggering my seizures? im taking vitamin supplements now and i feel worse for it. i jus dont want to take my meds and not have any seizures but like u say until i found out what causes them i just got to try and find out. thanx for your advice and support

A good place to begin is nutrition. It is what gives each cell it's fuel to function properly. If you are feeding them junk food, then that is what you are going to get as a result.

Back
Top Bottom