nocturnal seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

marion

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I had a seizure in my sleep after stopping xanax, which I was taking to sleep. That was four years ago. Apparently I continued to have occasional nocturnal seizures since then, but I live alone and didn't really know. Looking back, I sometimes bit my tongue in my sleep and that was likely when I had a seizure. I knew something was wrong because I was having long-term memory problems. So, it's good to know what it is and now I'm taking meds for it, so hopefully that'll help. I've only been taking them for three weeks, and a small dose. They make me tired, and also the inside of my mouth is sort of tingling, which I think is from the meds. I'm glad to find this site and look forward to talking to others. -marion

Welcome Marion

I'm sorry how xanax triggered seizures in you. I guess it would make sense as it would slow the firing of neurons & that they would misfire when you stop taking it & the neurons fire faster (at least that's my theory).

I hope you have contacted the company that makes xanax & let them know the timing of when your seizures started with regards to stopping their drug. I personally think warnings should be put on the packaging of such drugs.

Meanwhile take a look around & check the site out. There's some excellent information here as well as some of the most supportive people I"ve seen.

Marion,
welcome to the board.
Your meds and your seizures can cause long term memory problems.
I'm lucky and only have memory problems when I have the sz's.
The meds can you tired along with the seizures.meds can give u cotton mouth.

I've been having seizures for 45 years of my 47 years.
Belinda:twocents::agree:

Thanks for replying epileric. I'm sure Pfizer knows about all the people who are suffering after discontinuing xanax and all the other benzos... it's not at all unusual to get very ill. Unfortunately I didn't know that until after I quit, in spite of it being all over the internet. It never occurred to me to check it out before I quit. But I'm glad to be here now and thanks for the welcome. -marion

Hey Belinda - Are your seizures controlled by meds? How often do you have one? And about memory loss, I forget things that I did maybe six months ago. Just completely forget. Is that anything like what happens to you? I thought it was the beginning of dementia so in a way, I'm glad to know that I've been having seizures that may be the cause. Or at least I hope so. Thanks for welcoming me. -marion

Back
Top Bottom