Not new but back!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Muahahah! Finally got a phone with more memory storage! I'm baaaack!
Anyway, I got a new neuro since mine left in January. Dude is booked beyond crazy. Took me 4 months to schedule something for an afternoon appointment. I met with him last Friday and got blood work done. Lamictal was jacked up sky high to I can boot out the Keppra safely. I cut my dose cut out 250 from 1000mg so I'm down to 750 twice a day for a week. Then after this week cutting out another 250. Then its a wait and see before the next step. Last night was the first drop. So far so good. No withdrawl effects :D. It's nice he called me himself rather than his assistant relaying info. So yeah, here I am.

Last edited:
Hi Katie,

Welcome back :).
Good luck with coming of the Keppra, hope you don't have to many issues or side effects.

When I have a med change I usually allow at less the 1st 2 weeks for any side effects & notice that if I do have any side effects they don't start happening until about the 3rd or 4th day of the med change.

I saw my neurologist at the end of March, my seizures are pretty much under control but I have some funny feelings which look like they are simple partials.
We decided to adjust my meds, I am already on Keppra so my neurologist added Tegretol (I was on Tegretol before but came of it when I went over 12 months seizure free).
I started taking the Tergetol again on 1st April & luckily I've only had very minimal side effects.

I lowered it starting last night. So far only 2 doses but so far so good. Nervous about it but I just feel so drugged. :(

Hi KatieCoy, I don't know you, so nice to meet you :) I wonder what you mean by "sky high" with regards to Lamictal? I'd like to get off Topamax some day and am curious what one dr. might think is 'high enough' to go as monotherapy (yes I know every patient is different but it's at least one data point). Thanks!!

Welcome back, I'm a recent returnee too! I'm curious too about your levels. I'm around 14 plus I just got Keppra levels back today (had previously been told there was no test for it) and it is 15. Can't find out if that's good or bad. Had an EEG this AM and hope to hear results soon. Hope your drug changes go smoothly. I figure they'll be messing with mine soon.

He didn't say numbers during the phone call. But said it's high enough they can take the keppra away. I am at 275mg 2x a day of lamictal. I just decreased Keppra to 750mgs 2x a day.

Hi Katie and welcome back. I will be thinking positive thoughts for you; be safe during this med adjustment. :)

Back
Top Bottom