olfactory hallucinations & eeg question

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

eliza0104

New
Reaction score
I was referred to a neurologist. Typically after running I get a strong smell of ammonia in my nose. Neurologist said he's had one other patient with the same symptoms. Turned out to be temporal lobe seizures. I had an eeg yesterday and didn't think much about it going in. Let me just say, it was awful! I was fine until the second interval of strobe lights. My arm started twitching and jerking and my face was grimacing. The faster the lights the longer that lasted. I wanted it to end so badly! So my question is, what could this mean? What is a normal healthy response to the strobe lights? I have an MRI with and without contrast Friday but don't see my doc again until the 18th of May!

Hi eliza0104, welcome to CWE!

A "normal, healthy, response" to strobe lights would be zero symptoms (no twitching or jerking) and normal brainwaves. The fact that your symptoms were triggered by the strobe lights suggest that you might be "photosensitive", that is, you are more vulnerable than other people to having abnormal symptoms triggered by flashing, dappled or fluorescent lights. Taking into account the phantom ammonia smell as well, it's possible that you might have a seizure disorder along the lines of TLE.

Both symptoms can be what are called "Simple Partial Seizures," which are seizures that don't feature any loss of consciousness. Symptoms take the form of a wide variety of sensory distortions or odd unexplained feelings (like a sense of dread). You might want to check out this link http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/simple-partial-seizures to read about other kinds of partial seizure symptoms, in case any of them sound like something you may have experienced.

I know May 18th probably feels like a long way away, but try not to worry too much about the results and what they may mean. You might try giving your neuro's office a call in case they can give you more information or move up your appointment. In the meantime, hang in there, and please feel free to ask more questions here.

best,
Nakamova

Well...this was an eye opener. I've had a couple times amonia-like smell, I thought was something in my nose, maybe sinus or something... as I've never had seizures of this type - I don't think no other symptoms at the same time. Has me wondering..hmmm... Anyway, welcome Eliza!

Eeg results came back normal. MRI is on Friday. Doctor said he still wonders about temporal lobe seizures BC they are deep in the brain and somehow could be related to my ammonia smell. I will update when I know more! Thanks for the welcome!

I've also experienced the ammonia smell. It would also burn my throat. That has been one of the worst odors, that and the sickly sweet odor.

Last edited:
Seizures and hearing loss?

I am wondering about tinnitus and hearing loss and seizures. During the time I have been struggling with TLE - about four years - I have been losing my hearing and experiencing tinnitus, which is intense. My hearing aids have not been very helpful in regard to the tinnitus and I am in process of getting new ones that should do better. Over time and after numerous unpleasant events, I have seriously wondered if the TLE and the hearing loss [with its companion tinnitus] are related to each other. Whenever I bring this up to members of my medical team the response is not one of great interest. It is more, "Oh don't be ridiculous." If anyone has any ideas about this I would be glad to know!

I did not mean to interrupt this thread with this new topic. I never have started a new topic on the forum before and it appears that I don't know how to do it. Sorry.

Masterjen- I have looked into that. However my clothes don't smell and no one else can smell it. It's deep in my nose

Masterjen- I have looked into that. However my clothes don't smell and no one else can smell it. It's deep in my nose

Same with me eliza0104. Sometimes the ammonia smell will stay with me all day or even longer, no one else notices it. I have never noticed n in connection to working out. Yes, I understand the deep in your nose sensation. That is how all of my phantom odors are.

My "smell" usually lasts a couple hours at most. I remember it off and on one day...a week or so ago had it again, but woke up with it and I was clean. I also get a strange "see something out of the corner of my eye" that is never there...happens quite often. And my startle reflex is very high - someday I'll have a heart attack from my husband walking in while in bare feet... and I jump when the phone rings. Yikes, I don't want to be worrying about all this.

My "smell" usually lasts a couple hours at most. I remember it off and on one day...a week or so ago had it again, but woke up with it and I was clean. I also get a strange "see something out of the corner of my eye" that is never there...happens quite often. And my startle reflex is very high - someday I'll have a heart attack from my husband walking in while in bare feet... and I jump when the phone rings. Yikes, I don't want to be worrying about all this.

My startle reflex is so bad I sometimes burst out in tears if I am startled.

I have had many phantom smells, mostly when I am first lying down to sleep as my body and brain chemistry change. It seems to me that anything that affects our body or brain chemistry, for example, physical activity, has the potential to cause seizures as the electrical signals in our brains and bodies are more profound during such activities.

I also have tinnitus, but no hearing loss. My tinnitus is both pulsating and non-pulsating, or straight line. I am most aware of it the end of the day. I have also had certain noises get stuck in my brain, so that when I hear something, there is a "loop" or repeat in my brain.

My MRI came back normal as well. Doctor said he still wonders about simple partial seizures and would like to treat me for this and see if this goes away

Back
Top Bottom