Personality, habits and morals

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

WESTCOASTMIKE

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Has anyone been able to attribute any changes to themselves due to epilepsy or meds. When I look back over my life Im 47 now I see things that may have been affected by my epilepsy tle left or meds especially in the last 15 years since my seizure activity has gotten worse. I can remember partial seizures and complex partial most of my life then about 15 years ago I started having tc seizures and have been on different meds sometimes I've gone a couple years without a seizure then bang. The last number of seizures over the last 2 years I have woken up in the er any where from 1 to 5 days later with no memory of why I was there.

Although I have noticed changes in myself I was wondering if anyone else has experience the same.

Thank You

Yes your personality can easily change, even more so if you dont have your memories and experiences that formed it in the first place.
Then after that statement we get into ethics and morals, and how liquid are they.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Ethics_vs_Morals

Have fun.

And I hope your seizures get better.

I'm not sure if my answer will be what you're after, but in the 4 years I've had seizures here is what I've found:
I'm much more conservative when it comes to trying new things. I was never a daredevil by any means, but now there are times I feel like I am being overcautious. I'm not quite as bad now as I was a couple of years ago, so maybe I am slowly working through it.
As for my morals and ethics, these are stricter than they used to be but maybe that comes from just being 4 years older. But on a negative I find myself internally more negative toward people who "cross me" in some way or who have a low level of morals and ethics, and I tend to avoid them whereas before I was more tolerant.

Last edited:
Back when I was on depakote there were definitely changes. School was harder, I lost motivation to get better grades(rather than just passing), was less outgoing, and according my parents a completely different person.
Once I was switched over to lamictal everything changed again. I am now back to who I was before everything started and am more outgoing even, a new zest for life I guess.

I've had TLE for over 30 years and tried many meds. So depending on the meds and the seizure(s), I have definitely had a change in behavior/mood. Some of the epilepsy drugs are also used as mood stabilizers. When I was going thru a deep depression, they put me on Trileptal for seizures AND depression. And with TLE, mood swings unfortunately do accompany it.

BTW, mes2350, Lamictal is another med also used as a mood stabilizer, so no wonder you're more outgoing.

I take keppra and it's one med that really makes me mad. I've found myself blowing up on people for even just the littlest tings. I've wanted to punch people in stores several times.

Once when my friend was over her 3 and 5 year old were coloring on my coffee table instead of the coloring book. I started screaming at them while I was massively scrubbing down the table and they started crying like crazy. My friend ended up leaving because I wouldn't stop yelling at her kids. I feel so bad at having done this because the stupid coffee table cost about $20 and the crayon came right off. I still apologize about doing this to my friend every time I see her. Luckily it's sort of a joke between the two of us now.

I don't know if I'm more crazy than I was before I had epilepsy or not. But I know when I go out with my friends I don't drink but you'd think I'm the drunkest one out of all of us. I've gotten up on tables and started dancing. I think I've even almost gotten us thrown out of places!

I was diagnosed in 1982. I'm 56 now, and I really don't think I have had any particular personality changes. I did have some really bad feelings when I was on keppra and zonegran, but I was not on those for more than maybe 2 months because of my reaction to them. Looking back, however, I probably had some sort of a seizure disorder for much of my life, but it had never been officially diagnosed. Since most of my seizures were partial seizures people might not even had known there was anything really wrong.

I do get discouraged sometimes about the epilepsy, but that's just a part of any chronic disease.
Best of luck to you!

mysoline and Depekene made it impossible to live with me when I was a teen.I've had epilepsy for 50 years.I have tonic clonic sz's,partials I'm lucky if I make it a couple of months sz free.I've had brain surgery in 1982 and I had th eVNS in 2001 been on like 22-23 different medications.I even tried the mad diet with no luck.
I've accepted my epilepsy and if I seizue that's just life.I've been fed up plenty of times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom