Possible Simple Partial Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

StaceS

New
Reaction score
Hi Everyone
Just wondering if I can get some thoughts on a "potential" diagnosis of simple partial seizures.... My doctor wants me to try 200mg of Epilim daily to see if it helps my symptoms.

I have seen a neuro (who was not very unhelpful about 12 months ago). He actually made me feel really awful so it's taken me over 12 months to follow up again with my GP.

I have ended up seeing my GP again as I have had some new symptoms and increase in other symptoms. The GP Reviewed all my notes from the neuro (Who explained nothing to me at all) and said it appeared as if my symptoms could be SPS). Even though the GP is much nicer he was not very helpful in giving me information. I feel kind of uncomfortable taking a drug as a kind of wait and see trial.... But I will give it a go.

I have had symptoms for approximately 3 years - from what I can remember starting with muscle spasms/twitches in my stomach.

I had an episode of joint pain in my left knee after that started that lasted approx. a week, the pain would come and go randomly for only a minute or two at a time. This was in March 2013 - had tests done ultrasound etc, no problems all ok. Went away and occasionally comes back from time to time for brief periods. This also sometimes happens in my wrist.

In April 2013 I had a week of crippling stomach cramps that lasted for a week - same kind of thing as the knee - it would happen on and off every few hours and last a couple of minutes. For the whole week I was in agony and after the stomach pain would go away I was exhausted and would just sleep until it started again. This ended up with me having extreme pain one night and I started to twitch and shiver, I felt very cold and tingly. I was very tired after this and my face twitched on and off for about 3 days after. The stomach cramping also abated over a couple of days after this. I occasionally get bad stomach cramping from time to time but it has never been as bad as the first time. I had tests done, blood work, colonoscopy etc - again all results were good.

In May 2013 I had a feeling of numbness and tingling in my left arm and chest this spread to the right side of my body - I had a heavy feeling across my chest and arms. I started to get more muscle contractions/twitches - then my whole body started to twitch - I was biting the inside of my mouth - but was awake and could communicate with my husband. My jaw was snapping closed and kind of chattering so my husband had a bit of trouble understanding me.

After that I just had random symptoms over the next few months vision/eye issues, tingling, stinging, and I started to smell cigarette smoke. It took me a while to realise the smoke was not a real smell. I will some times have a sensation like someone is blowing cold air onto my feet, hands and face. Or sometimes get hot spots. I also have a section on my waist that sometimes "feels" like it is numb and tingles (this happens almost daily) - though I can feel on my skin if I touch it.

November 2013 my left arm went in to a small tremor - lasting only a minute or so. After this happened I remember feeling really odd all day, a bit spaced out and not quite with it. I also was very sleepy.

Anyway I could go on and on - but I have bored you enough. After I saw the neuro - I stopped taking note of any symptoms (as he kind of made me feel a bit like he thought I was a stressed out mum, and I was imagining everything) - so for the last 12 months or so I've just tried to ignore all this and hope it would go away.

However, in the last 6 months I've started to get an increase in some symptoms and some new ones. The main things that bother me are issues with my eye loosing focus/feeling too big or uncomfortable - I have even stopped waring my glasses. Smelling smoke which is happening more often and increasing in intensity (take my breath away - though is only brief when it happens). Itching and tingling/stinging sensations. Chest discomfort, stomach cramps, muscle spasms, twitching fingers and my jaw will snap closed. I sometimes get really big individual spasms though my chest that almost throw me backwards - or make my head snap back. I also have days where I become extremely sleepy and need to lie down which can be difficult with kids. New sensations are that I have been getting a numbness/tingling on the end of my nose and my tongue, and a fullness/thickening feeling in my neck.

Anyway, so after assessing the neuro notes and talking to me about my symptoms my GP wants me to try Epilim for a few weeks and see if this helps any of my symptoms. I'm not keen to see the neuro again, but the doc says if we try this and it does not work I might need to.

Apologies that this is so disjointed - I find it very hard to describe how some of these things feel - and also as I have many different symptoms quite often it is all a bit much to try and note down or keep track of. Sometimes I think maybe I am crazy - lol - it's all just to much with all these strange symptoms..... Anyway, and thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I just have no idea about epilepsy or even if what I am experiencing sounds like epilepsy.... (it's like pulling teeth trying to get any info or talk to the doctors) - Thanks you :)

Last edited:
StaceS

First welcome to C.W.E. now you need to have a cup of tea or coffey for yourself, the first thing is get your doctor to refer you to a different neurologist. Taking medication is never easy but sometimes it has to be done, you should start keeping notes again and do not expect doctors or neurologists to have a big knowledge on this subject, you will probably know more. See if you need to get any supplements like B12 or folic acid.

Thank you! Yes had my coffee already ;)
I have had bloods done and all are good - all the test's I've had are good.....
IT's very frustrating, I will try keeping some notes again, but last time I did that they didn't even read them :(

StaceS

Yes sometimes the notes are better help to you because like you said they do not even read them. But you have to keep at them to get results.

Back
Top Bottom