Puppy wont leave my side?!?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I've been having seizures for the last little while and for the last couple my puppy has been sitting right beside me through it all. But now he wont leave my side! lol
I have a 6 month chocolate lab puppy. I know when I have my seizures because I can feel them coming and he is usually by my side when Im about to have one.
Is it at all possible that my puppy just knows or senses a seizure?

Since the puppy is so little and young they will start learning and picking up on how your seizures occur and what they are like and will help you.

Yes, it's

highly possible that that is the case. You may have a seizure alert dog, and don't know it :bigsmile: That would be cool, cuz they're not easily found. Not all dogs are able to do that.....

I'm with meetz you have a natural born seizure alert dog, way cccl. I believe labs are often used for that.

I found that I always had a characteristic sound accompanying my breathing that caught my schnauzer's attention. She'd give me this funny look and stick like glue to me.

thnks

yes, last night I had a couple of seizures and once again my puppy "Dude" did not leave my side. He doesnt bark or anything, just comes and lays down beside me. He did cause a ruckus the one time because I had fallen out of bed and my mom was not aware of it.
My seizures last night were not good. I had atleast 2 grand mals while watching t.v. on the couch. I had to fight my seizures off because my mom and her boyfriend were about ready to take me to the E.R., but puppy was beside me the entire time!

Im curious to know as to how they sense it? I felt fine all day yesterday and when I came home, I had a huge headache! I layed down on my couch and my dog "dude" layed down beside me, thats how i knew I was going to have another one. The one last night hit me and I didnt even feel it coming. I can usually feel them coming, glad he was there to help.

I have 2 dogs, Miniature Schnauzer and a Golden Retriever, which Jacobe my GR has seizures in his sleep. When they feel something is about to happen to me, they do act strange, while having a seizure, I was told they howl and go berserk.

Billy.

I've read that they can smell a change in us maybe its part of the taste aura. They do this also with cancer patients. There was a cat a few years ago who lived in a nursing home and when someone was dieing he'd curl up next to them. The joke was no one wanted the cat to curl up next them anymore.

My puppy has done the same. Anytime I'm sick she is right there. The one time I had a seizure she kept barking outside my door until someone came to check on me. Having a dog really is helpful. I think they can sense when something is wrong. They are so sweet and lovable.

my brother has two labs and when I stayed with him the older dominate lab would keep the other dogs at bay, when I was seizing the day! He would even put his head under my chin and try to lift it up. I may be crazy but animals have the whole love thing down, I believe this to be true. I also know they absolutely know how to forgive, can't say I am an expert on either

I remember seeing that cat on the news or something of that sorts. Ever notice that your dog knows when you are near someone you really don't care much for. I feel we give off a sent for different emotions, we just don't use our noses to smell them as we have evolved away from this. so sad

Last edited:
I honestly think dogs are extremely sensitive to body language, sounds, smells and anything they perceive as different than the norm. It's quite possible your dog can sense a seizure or is on a high alert status if you seem to be having a seizure.

Although my dog is not a lab, she is also always by my side as well. She stays up with me at night, gets up with me in the morning and hangs out with me all the time. It's possible your lab is simply highly attached to you and also very concerned about you.

Last edited:
Although I

don't have any dogs around me, from what I've had explained to me, from past experiences at friends houses (I've spent the night there and had a seizure there)--their dogs evidently SMELLED something. Ebony, who is a very sweet purebred black Cocker Spaniel, started barking furiously at 3 in the morning and my best friend came running. She knew immediately it had to do with me for some reason, and found me, in a full-blown t/c.

My dog has a very poor sense of smell relative to most dogs, especially her one cocker spaniel friend. She has left cookie crumbs on the floor and the spaniel sniffed them out. I've thrown treats across the yard and she takes at least 5 minutes to sniff it out. However, she's a very visual dog (herding breed mix) and very alert.

Dog lovers tend to have lower stress, lower blood pressure and exercise more with their canine companions. I've heard of labs or other dogs used to help calm kids down who think they are reading stories to the dogs.

My dog may be more visual or have more acute hearing. She is either sprawled out on her back totally relaxed or racing around wanting to play.

A few years ago my Sheppard happened to nudge my breast and jumped back. I immediately thought oh no cancer. There was a lump in that very spot but turned out benign.

Im curious to know as to how they sense it? I felt fine all day yesterday and when I came home, I had a huge headache! I layed down on my couch and my dog "dude" layed down beside me, thats how i knew I was going to have another one. The one last night hit me and I didnt even feel it coming. I can usually feel them coming, glad he was there to help.

sounds like you have a seizure alert dog. now all you need to do is get him trained and tested and he can be an official service dog.

Weird I had a crazy insomnia night last night and watched a House marathon now mind you I've probably only watched about 5 episodes in my life. Last night they had one about a cat in a nursing home such a coincidence.

Seizure Alert Dog

My dog alerts me. She can be in the next room sleeping soundly behind the bed, wake up, come find me, and tell me I'm about to have a seizure. If I'm standing, she'll grab my wrist and pull me to the floor. If I'm sitting, she won't let me stand up no matter what I say. She started doing this after the first time she say me collapse. Now, if I am up and walking around, she is right there at my side. She accompanies me everywhere as a service dog.

Here's the tricky thing about seizure alert dogs though (and this is especially relevant if your puppy is exhibiting alert behavior). SZ alert dogs do their job before you are aware of whether or not they are doing their job correctly. So, if the dog alerts, it is very difficult to provide positive reinforcement at the time. Also, alert activity (barking, pressing, whining, pawing, etc.) are inappropriate behavior when the dog is not alerting. Yet, it is difficult to correct such behavior because you don't know if they are legitimately alerting.

I have this problem with my dog. She knows that alert behavior gets her praised. So, she sometimes lies just to get attention. Fortunately, I have a lot of dog training experience, particularly with her breed (Border Collie), and have learned he personality well over the 5 years she has lived with me. She has subtle expressions that give away her lies. So, I can tell when she is serious and when she is faking just to get attention, but it is not obvious.

-Brent

when my first child was alive, I used to have a maltese. She stayed on the bed with the baby during every seizure episode. I knew if I couldn't find (Kitt) to go check my baby's room... every time.

Back
Top Bottom