Recently Diagnosed with MTS

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brainfog

New
Reaction score
Hi. I was recently diagnosed with Mesial Temporal Sclerosis. Today actually, the MRI was reviewed with the neurologist. For more than 30yrs I was having bouts of absence seizures. I had an eeg when I was a kid but it was inconclusive and nothing more was properly done about it. The last 5 years I have had some serious fatigue issues, increasing short term memory loss and more frequent “blanks.” I finally dumped my physician who was telling me it was my imagination. I Went to a quick care clinic and the situation unfolded to where I am now. I have a question however. It is clear that the MRI shows MTS. And it was discussed in depth with the neurologist the symptoms I experience. Yet I was prescribed Carbamazepine … which is NOT for absence seizures at all. Can anyone understand this logic from the neurologist. Have you had a similar experience. Being prescribed something for symptoms you don’t have? An anticonvulsant for absence seizures?

You really need to discuss this further with your neurologist, but hopefully I can offer something that will be helpful.

If you have confirmed mesial temporal sclerosis, you most likely have temporal lobe epilepsy and focal seizures, not absence seizures. Some types of complex partial seizures are VERY difficult to distinguish from absence seizures - they both cause temporary lapses in consciousness, and not all CPs have major post-ictal symptoms. It is likely that the neurologist thinks that you are suffering from CPs and not absence seizures, which is why he has prescribed tegretol (carbamazepine) to you. Have you had an EEG? I would suggest that this would be the next step. The EEG of someone with absence seizures is very different from someone with focal epilepsy.

I would go back to him and ask. It is unfortunate that he did not walk you through his thinking originally, but he can make up for it now. I am glad that you dumped the bad doctor, but now you may need to press a bit harder to get the answers you need.

When I was 10yrs old an e.e.g. showed something that was suspected as absence seizure activity. I was prescribed Ritalin…. And it didn’t help. The med was discontinued and that physician retired. Nothing was ever done about it again until I started having serious fatigue and short term memory problems. Blanking out and not hearing people talk to me etc.. The second physician I had told me it was my imagination and that I had serious psychological issues (This is Canada no surprises on that one). After I dumped that physician which I had for 30yrs. I went to the others and they had me tested for sleep apnea. Which turns out I have an extremely severe case of. Another e.e.g. was done a month ago.. and it showed nothing. However it's a short window. I was not aware that temporal lobe seizures have identical symptoms to absence seizures. Everything I read states the symptoms are very different. MTS is definite. So I presumed he prescribed a med for what he sees in the MRI and not what I experience.

I am worried about this. Now I am on Modafinil to keep me from falling asleep and Carbanazepine for whatever. I was told Carbanazepine would fix the fatigue, blanks and short term memory issues but I am reading it is not the fact.

Not all temporal lobe seizures are identical to absence seizures - my daughter has temporal lobe epilepsy and her seizures could not be mistaken for absence seizures. But some types of CP seizures can be very similar. In those cases they can be quite difficult to distinguish and only a neurologist can make that determination - and as you have mentioned, it is very important to figure it out because the treatments for the two types of seizures are different. It is certainly possible that you have both MTS and generalized absence seizures, although I have no idea how common that is. A longer-term EEG may be the only way to know for sure.

Of course you are concerned! You definitely need to follow up with your neurologist ASAP and ask that he walk you through 1) what his diagnosis is 2) why he has diagnosed you this way and 3) the treatment plan. He needs to take the time to explain all of this to you so that you feel confident in his recommendations.

I got a more detailed explanation just now from the doctors nurse. Unfortunately the strong accent of all these immigrant doctors in Canada is very hard to understand.
The Dr. has said that because of what has happened to my temporal lobe, this drug might leave me feeling tired the first few days of taking it because my brain will be trying to adapt to not giving off those absence seizures.
It will help with the short term memory because it will allow my brain to relax at night while I am sleeping and allow me to have a deeper R.E.M. for probably the first time in a long time.
When the brain does not have the ability of going into a deeper rem (and of course this is totally unconscious to you) then it keeps seizing and not letting it go into a deep sleep which in turn will help restore your memory and energy. so its a combination of what has been happening to my oxygen levels, sleep pattern and memory and tiredness.
Sounds like the MTS was cause by the apnea from a very young age(?) I hope they are right. I definitely could not find this information online

yes you are right. Now they said they want a 5 day e.e.g study to make sure there is not another issue alongside - or what might have contributed to the MTS. As soon as “surgery” was mentioned I went into extreme worry mode. It is extremely rare for me to worry. So it is unknown if the MTS was caused by fever / seizures or lack of oxygen from a young age. But it only caused most serious issues in childhood and again from the age of 40

Back
Top Bottom