Scared :(

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

dani_mc

New
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Over the last 5 years I have suffered 6 tonic clonic seizures. I have been checked out thoroughly every time and am not on any medication as each one has occured the morning after a night of heavy drinking. If I don't do this, I don't suffer seizures. It's just such a horrible experience to go through, not that any of you guys need telling that. Even after what has happened I find it awkward going out sober and having to fend off everyone's questions about why i'm not drinking. I don't really want to go through the whole shebang with everyone, but in the UK unless you're drinking on a night out you're either pregnant or underage! I know I have to come to terms with this side of things, and things could be a lot worse, so I should probably quit moaning! I'm currently waiting to see the neurologist. I've googled what's happened to me sooo many times (never a good idea!) and have been getting mixed opinions. Some sites classify anything over 1 seizure as epileptic, whereas some say that seizures due to 'induced conditions' (such as booze) aren't necessarily epileptic....don't know what to believe!

Just wondering if anyone had any similar stories/words of advice/comfort!

Last edited:
I have had to give up drinking all together. My seizures have not been associated with drinking but I would rather be seizure free than drink. They took away my drivers license. That is enough to make me not drink if that helps me be seizure free. By the way, you will be surprised how the ladies like a sober suitor. Really, while your mates are doing beer bongs and being, well guys out getting pissed, you can sweet talk the gals. 2 seizures here gets you the big E. You should reconsider heavy drinking at least. Smart people don't drink heavily with or without E.

Welcome to the site Dani,

Yup, there is a big social issue with not drinking. Usually when I go out I just order a coke & most people assume it's got something in it. I have to admit I do love cranberry & soda though. Again that's another social faux-pas for a guy.

Occasionally when I am asked why I don't drink I explain that I get a really bad reaction........ I get drunk.

By the way, you will be surprised how the ladies like a sober suitor. Really, while your mates are doing beer bongs and being, well guys out getting pissed, you can sweet talk the gals.
Haha....i *am* a girl! Dani = Danielle! I definitely see what you're saying though. Hardly seems worth the risk and i know that in a way i'm lucky not to have to rely on medication like some do. Nice to know through this site i'm far from going through it alone.

When I was dating I prefered a date who wasn't drunk, and if he didn't drink that was fine with me.My dates never said a thing about me not drinking.I don't like the taste of alcohol.

Back
Top Bottom