Is it the Seizure or the Meds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
Hello all,

I had a seizure on Feb 7th. And, of course I was out of it for a few days afterwards. I was only on Neurontin at the time and a week later, my Neuro put me on Keppra,

Well, I'm now off Neurontin altogether and taking 500mgs of Keppra 2x per day. But, I still feel drowsy, and often slow witted. I hate this feeling, and sometimes it is worse than others.

I have a degree in English and write alot at my work, and I've noticed myself not making a ton of sense sometimes or having grammatical or spelling errors which aren't like me at all. It seems I have to focus more.

Does this type of thing sound more like leftovers/damage from the seizure, or more me just adjusting still the side effects of keppra?

Thanks,

D:rock:

If it seems like the cognitive stuff is significantly difference from how you felt pre-Keppra, then the Keppra is the likely culprit. That doesn't rule out some post-ictal fogginess -- everyone recovers at a different pace post-seizure -- but ordinarily the fogginess should have worn off by now.

You can read here about reported Keppra side effects: http://www.askapatient.com/viewrating.asp?drug=21035&name=KEPPRA

Thanks. I started taking Keppra less than a week after the seizure, so I may have still been a little out of it when I started the drug, so a comparison from that time period may be of little use.

Now from before the seizure (and before Keppra) it's no question. I feel "slower" now than back then. But again, not sure if it's the Keppra and I'll adjust or post-ictal leftovers. I'm leaning toward blaming the drug though..

Doc added 500x2 to my lamotrigine (also increased from600 to750 per day) after grand mal at end of January (4th in my life), worked me up to 1000x2 now Keppra (generic) which I started two days ago. Feeling sleepy for a while in the morning, hands feel a little shaky/numbish, legs get tingly (go to sleep) easily, and generally feel weak. I assume it's the increased Keppra, but am not going to contact doc yet, give it a couple of weeks to see if I adjust to this, but not sure I like this addition.

Back
Top Bottom