Seizures changing?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Abrooks84

New
Reaction score
Hey you lovely lot!

You all once helped me so much that you don't even realise. I came to this forum in 2012 when my life was falling apart. I was at rock bottom suffering with epilepsy in the form of complex partial seizures without knowing. I was put on keppra which ruined me and led me into bad bad bad depression. I switched to lamotrogine and I'm now on 75mg twice a day.
Sooo now I am at point where I am no longer having 4 seizures a day and my seizures have changed... If they are seizures at all. I would get an aura and a whoosh feeling then dejavu followed by extreme fear and confusion. Now I get the feel of something is about to happen but doesnt. But because epilepsy is confusing am i imagining it or what?! It's really really bothering me. I don't get the fear like I did before, I don't feel anything as intense as before but weird and anxious but I don't believe it's a panic or anxiety attack. It will be a few moments where I feel tangled up mentally. For example the other day I was walking into tesco speaking to my husband but my head and my mouth werent matching up which used to happen with an old seizure. I sometimes feel de ja vu but nothing happens, it all leaves me anxious. I hardly have them now... Its really random and maybe once every 4 months.
I don't know where this ends. Or is this just mild epilepsy? I could really do with some help if anyone else has had changing epilepsy.

Would love to get some feeback.

Well, that sounds like the general trend for you is a positive one. 4per day to 1 every 4 months. Not bad at all.

Epilepsy is one slippery creature. It can change over time due to things that change about you such as age, physical fitness, diet, and such. It can also change due to environmental factors such as stress, sleep, etc. Sometimes also a given medicine that is working great can just stop working for no apparent reason.

It might be a good idea to keep a seizure diary. It's kind of tedious but it can help you see patterns over time. Write down stuff like what you ate, how much sleep you got, whatever was stressing you out that day, etc.

It is your individual unique puzzle but I wish you the best in figuring it out. You might find that you can do even better than 1 every 4 months. :)

I have kept a seizure diary for years and years or even before the doctors mentioned it.

Hey Abrook,

Like Aloha said, that is great you have your seizures reduced like that. I was on Keppra for a while and it did not do me much good as well. Then i went off meds for 3+ yrs and it was ok, but the seizures seemed to be getting slowly worse. After a grand mal, i went back onto Meds, started with dilantin, and good God, that gave me worse seizures then i was normally used to, like visual stuff floating around in my vision. So then i went on Lamotrigine, that was ok for the first 4 months, but then i started having seizures that really beat me up bad. Not grand malls, but the type where i'd be twisting like a pretzel and can't do nothing. The second one like that like 8 months after starting almost broke my neck, and lasted for what seemed an eternity, but was like 5 min. I said not to that drug, and now i'm on Gabapentine, which i can manipulate so as to have my seizures in the mornings. Now that is a blessing to me.

Cheers,
Zolt

:piano: :pop:

It sounds like these could possibly be simple partial seizures. Many of the things that you described are things that happen to me during mine. I sort of know what's going on but I sort of don't, did that make sense? I don't black out like I do during a complex partial.

Let your neuro know what's going on, even though it's only happening every few months.

Abrooks84 I read an article today about over 40 types of seizure, you may find it interesting.
I will find it for you, there is one that sounds very much like what you are describing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Dear ABrooks,
Know exactly how you feel because I have experienced the same "feelings". They just come momentarily, for me, and leave just as quickly. Regular people wouldn't even notice but after you are left with the confusion and that's what they see.
Very frustrating! I have had E since 2006 and was doing well until a couple of months ago. Now I'm all over the place. I don't want to tell you to, "Not think about it" cause that doesn't work. This is a good place to find some answers and get some support.
Hang in there! Good Luck!
M

Abrooks,

I've had E for 30+ years and have experienced SP, CP and TC seizures, so your story sounds very similar to mine. I agree with Valerie. What you've described sounds like a simple partial seizure, which is like an "aura". It comes on quickly, like a warning that something bad is going to happen, and then dissipates. Or sometimes I get that deju vu feeling, which can be a simple partial. Talk to your neurologist as it could be a change in your seizure pattern OR, it could be the med(s).

Check out this website for more info on simple partial seizures:

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/simple-partial-seizures

These seizures change how people think, feel, or experience things.
They may have problems with memory, garbled speech, an inability to find the right word, or trouble understanding spoken or written language.
They may suddenly feel emotions like fear, depression, or happiness with no outside reason.
Some may feel as though they are outside their body or may have feelings of déja vu ("I've been through this before") or jamais vu ("This is new to me"— even though the setting is really familiar).

I've had epilepsy over 51 years .My seizures change constantly.
I have generalized,tonic -clonic,absence simple partial complex partial. It is common for seizures to change over time. I don't have aura's I just might get a feeling is all.My aura stopped years ago.

I am sorry that you are going through a rough time.

For a while I went through at least 6 years of all types of seizures, including status epilepsy.

I hope you get better.

Back
Top Bottom