Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
im 18 years old and have been on valpro, epilim and am now on keppra (which my neurologist told me would have no side effects) and im still getting th same ones as i was on the last medications which include extreme hair loss and depression. my doctor said that if its not medicated, my condition will increase in severity until i have a fatal seizure. im unsure whether or not to keep taking my medication because if its side effects as the depression is really bad and can just come suddenly from nowhere. im hoping that i might have juvenile epilepsy and will grow out of it so i dont want to let my condition get any worse by not taking my medication incase i do, however, im afraid that even though i feel fine now, when the mental side affects kick in again i will suicide, please help!

Hi kelly, welcome to CWE!

If the keppra is making you seriously depressed, then it is not the med for you, and you should talk to your doc ASAP about switching. It's no fun going on and off meds, but there are others out there to try (like Lamictal, or Vimpat). In addition there are alternative/supplementary approaches to seizure control that you might want to consider.

This is a good place to start: http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f22/proactive-prescription-epilepsy-1254/

Do you know what your seizure triggers might be? Sometimes you can identify them by keeping a seizure diary -- tracking any and all seizures, noting how frequent they are, how long they last, and what happens during them. You can also track meds and side effects to see if they are changing for better or worse. Triggers can be anything from fatigue to hormones to certain foods to flashing lights, etc., so tracking other aspects of your life in detail may turn up a pattern.

I hope you can find a different treatment soon. In the meantime, you've come to the right place for support and empathy. Let us know how thing are going.

Best,
Nakamova

Well, it doesn't sound like your doc was upfront with you. Keppra, like all the seizure meds, have side effects...but the level it affects you can vary widely from person to person. I have been on Keppra for 3 years now. It has been an experience to get to the correct dosage, but I am happy to say I have been seizure free since Oct 2009. in the beginning, the only problem I had was been so sleepy. As my dosage increased, I did experience the Kepprage...but luckily for me it was short lived...although if you ask my family they thought it would not ever be over! I have been having the hair loss since I have been on the higher dosage of 1250 mg twice a day. Recently I have been having a lot of problems with what I call brain freeze..I know a word, but my brain struggles to come up with it. My doc has suggested trying a different drug, but it is a dilemma to decide do I switch to another drug where the side effects would be more troubling to me.
Don't let it get to the point where you are suicidal...call doc and tell me you want off the Keppra and try a different drug. Remember we all are here for you and we walk in your shoes every day. I have felt the same way about just stopping my drugs at one point, but the support I have found here has been a Godsend for keeping me going. Hang in there, much love...Jen

Kelly,

Please call your primary care provider NOW. Think about skipping the neuerologist for now, since he has not only been non-helpful, but may have not given you all the facts about keppra. Tell your PCP what you are experiencing, especially the deep depression and your concerns about that. Your PCP should be familiar enough with Keppra to suggest an alternative and tell you how to get off Keppra. Please have that PCP also help you get in with another neurologist FAST. All your PCP has to do is make a phone call, describe your symptoms including the depression, and you should have an appointment in a reasonable amount of time.

Do you have someone who goes into your appointments with you? This is really helpful, to help you remember what the doc said, what you are supposed to do, help ask questions and relate concerns, etc.

Kelly,

I, too, take Keppra, and yes it can bring on depression like many of the AED's. Your neurologist wasn't up front with you about the meds. A lot of the meds can bring on depression as can temporal lobe epilepsy. Do you have access to a neuro-psychiatrist who is trained in the link between seizures/depression? If not, call your neurologist back ASAP and tell him/her about the side effects you're experiencing and you need to try another medication before you go off the deep end. Otherwise, look for another neurologist, preferably an epileptologist.

hi kelly, i to take keppra for my eplilepsy, i suffer with the same side affects and hair loss . i am the same i am fine 1 minute then can be so emotional the next, i have been to the docs a few times who keeps advising me its all just stress, i was told by my neuroligist of a med called hormone replacement therapy, which am gonna ask the doc bout, if this works ill let you know, but i feel your pain because these meds are making me so depressed to but i am here to talk x

Thank you for input yesterday as I was wandering around the streets of New York trying to have a seizure. Today would have been a better day as I arrived home this evening and I am exhausted!
The doctor hopefully will find some interesting things in the sleep portion because the waking portion was boring.....
Now she has suggested leaving Dilantin @300mg, for now, leaving Keppra at 1,000mg, but instead of weaning the Dilantin she is going to try to very slowly wean Frisium, by 5 mg a month, to get from 30 to 10 and at the same time add Vimpat.....
I felt good on Lamictal 25mg but got a rash at 50 so that one is history.
apparently BENZODIAZAPINE can be a nasty withdrawal and sadly Frizium is a BENZO....
Any experiences shared would be greatly appreciated, but no horror stories (please)
:cheers:

Back
Top Bottom