Simple partial seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Flicks

New
Reaction score
Do any of you that have simple partial seizures have them to vary and change on you from time to time. I have had several Jamais vu seizures then recently had an intense Deja vu episode where I was in a crowd of strangers but felt for a couple of minutes that I had met all of them before. I will also occasionally have episodes of nystagmus. It just seems like once I get used to one kind of seizure happening and it not causing me to be so scared I will have one completely different that really panics me.

I have a lot of different things happen with partials. Sometimes vision, strange smells, forgetting conversations (that I actually took part in) getting lost, mixing up words-- there are so many things that could be E related. I'm sure there are some I haven't even discovered yet---- and yes- they do evolve for some people.

I have a lot of variation in my SPs.

Things can look REALLY BIG, or really small. Time and speed can warp, too. I'll be in the car and ask the driver "why are you going so slowly?" When in reality we're going 50mph.

Sometimes I smell strange stuff, or feel an intense emotion (like terror). I rememer conversations completely differently than they happened, or I don't remember them at all. ( latter might be a CP) Sometimes what people say is completely garbled, or I think what I say is completely garbled (but it isn't).

I get Jaimas Vu and don't recognize a place or person. Sometimes I see or hear things that aren't there. Sometimes my head buzzes like it's a high tension wire. Sometimes I feel things that aren't there, like a giant moth beating its wings on my leg or a warm hand on my back.

Sometimes I don't know what's real and what's not. I have to sit for a few minutes and think it out.

My simple partial seizures have changed over the years from floaters in my eyes, "seeing" people who I felt I recognized but couldn't name, actually seeing people around me in black and white, hallucinating, feeling de ja vu's, etc. The hallucinations scare me most and these are the type I have mostly these days. So I see it's not just me whose seizures change...

I'm only newly diagnosed (a month ago) but have been experiencing simple partials for a few years, from what I can tell. Mine vary a lot, and I experience a wide range and a long list of them. Luckily I'm fairly laid back, so I just "go with the flow".

I was interested to read Endless's response about misjudging what speed others are driving - I owe my Mum some apologies, or at least can now explain why I always think she's driving too slow or too fast LOL I'm a terrible "back seat driver"!

It is certainly hard to know what's real and what's a seizure sometimes. My yardstick is if I'm not sure, and my temples hurt, then it's probably a seizure (I have temporal lobe epilepsy).

Back
Top Bottom