Simple partial seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm a 41-year-old woman, and I'm wondering if the things I'm experiencing might be simple partial seizures. I have never seen a neurologist or had anything that was obviously a seizure, but autism runs in my family, and there may be a possible connection there. Before I explain the symptoms, I will say that I have seen a doctor about what I was experiencing (a couple of years ago), but it was very difficult for me to explain what I was feeling, so the idea of seizure never came up. I was given some kind of blood test, for diabetes or some kind of thyroid thing, but that came up normal.

Anyway, there are a number of strange things that I experience.

1. Vertigo. I use that word for lack of a better one. The feeling comes on at any time, regardless of what I'm doing or the position of my head. I don't lose balance or feel nausea, but I experience a kind of other-worldly swimmy feeling in my head. It's similar to the feeling you might get when stepping off a elevator, but only in the head. It's usually accompanied by a feeling of being disconnected. It's scary when I'm driving, because I feel an intense fear that I will lose the ability to connect with my environment. I have never lost consciousness, but the vertigo feeling often leads to a feeling that I WILL. It's a strong fear that I'm entering some kind of altered state, and instead of following the road, I'll fly off into some kind of dream-land. I'm not really doing that (or am I? I'm not sure), but I'm so afraid to drive that I limit myself to a few necessary, minor errands.

I'm afraid that if I write or say that exact paragraph to a neurologist, I'm not being clear. I realize that I am saying that I both experience these feelings and fear that I'm experiencing them, and that might be confusing. I'm not sure sometimes if I am feeling fear because of the strange vertigo sensation, or if the fear is part of the whole episode.

Since reading up on seizures, and thinking that this might be what's going on with me, I realize that some of the things I've experienced my whole life might be seizures.

One is a sudden chill up the spine and a jerking of my neck to the left. I've done that, maybe a few times a week on average, my whole life. It never occurred to me that other people don't, and it's not a problem.

Another is a sudden feeling of intense anxiety. I don't mean thinking about bad things that might go wrong and worrying about them. I mean a wave of physical sensations like butterflies in the stomach. I always just assumed it was because I'm nervous about something (which I tend to be), but often there is no cause that I can think of. It's like, "what the heck am I so nervous about all of a sudden? How weird!"

I also get a feeling of intense heat on a dime-sized area on my left thigh. It lasts for about a minute then goes away.

Those of you who experience seizures, does any of this sound familiar? Have I explained it in a way that is understandable? (Communicating with doctors is hard for me, and when I see one, I want to make myself understood). I have never, to my knowledge, lost consciousness during one of these episodes, which is why the idea of seizures never occurred to me before, because I thought losing consciousness was a requirement for it to be a seizure.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Welcome to the site Wanda

You've found a great site with great people & lots of info to offer. Just in case check out the Epilepsy 101 page http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/epilepsy-101-part-faq-part-tips-advice-1255/. Hopefully it answers a few of your questions. If not please feel free to ask, the people here are not just knowledgeable but friendly too (Bonus!)
[/I]
1. Vertigo. I use that word for lack of a better one. The feeling comes on at any time, regardless of what I'm doing or the position of my head. I don't lose balance or feel nausea, but I experience a kind of other-worldly swimmy feeling in my head. It's similar to the feeling you might get when stepping off a elevator, but only in the head. It's usually accompanied by a feeling of being disconnected. It's scary when I'm driving, because I feel an intense fear that I will lose the ability to connect with my environment. I have never lost consciousness, but the vertigo feeling often leads to a feeling that I WILL. It's a strong fear that I'm entering some kind of altered state, and instead of following the road, I'll fly off into some kind of dream-land. I'm not really doing that (or am I? I'm not sure), but I'm so afraid to drive that I limit myself to a few necessary, minor errands.

I'm afraid that if I write or say that exact paragraph to a neurologist, I'm not being clear. I realize that I am saying that I both experience these feelings and fear that I'm experiencing them, and that might be confusing. I'm not sure sometimes if I am feeling fear because of the strange vertigo sensation, or if the fear is part of the whole episode.

I think any good neurologist would understand what you just said. You've just described a lot of my seizures

Since reading up on seizures, and thinking that this might be what's going on with me, I realize that some of the things I've experienced my whole life might be seizures.

One is a sudden chill up the spine and a jerking of my neck to the left. I've done that, maybe a few times a week on average, my whole life. It never occurred to me that other people don't, and it's not a problem.

I never got the chill but occasionally my head is pulled to the right.

Another is a sudden feeling of intense anxiety. I don't mean thinking about bad things that might go wrong and worrying about them. I mean a wave of physical sensations like butterflies in the stomach. I always just assumed it was because I'm nervous about something (which I tend to be), but often there is no cause that I can think of. It's like, "what the heck am I so nervous about all of a sudden? How weird!"

Sometimes I get the anxiety & other times I get euphoria, all to varying degrees.

Those of you who experience seizures, does any of this sound familiar? Have I explained it in a way that is understandable? (Communicating with doctors is hard for me, and when I see one, I want to make myself understood). I have never, to my knowledge, lost consciousness during one of these episodes, which is why the idea of seizures never occurred to me before, because I thought losing consciousness was a requirement for it to be a seizure.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

It all sounds familiar to me except for feeling the heat. Personally I think you should tell exactly what you wrote to a neurologist. Remember what you described sounds common during a seizure. If a neurologist doesn't understand or listen then go to another neurologist who does.

Last edited:
I am 48 female starting having seizues a year ago. I felt like it was maybe sleep disorder, as I would continue to do things, but I didn't recall things I did (which did include driving) I was a sleepwalker most of my childhood, so I related it my docs as "extreme sleepwalking". Had two doctors suggest it was seizures and I poo-poo'd them. I have been around friends/family member who had grande mals. THAT WAS NOT WHAT WAS HAPPENING. But then I had EEG and MRI and doctor said I was definitely having seizures. He explained they were petit mals. Actually I have learned alot here. Within the grande and petit mals, there are many different types. I have both simple (aura) and complex partials. My simple start out as everything looking distorted and shortly the complex partial kicks in. The doctor says that the seizure itself is very short, but after I have one, I lose 20-40 minutes during which time I continue to do things, but I have no memory of what happens during that time.
Welcome, this is a good place to get info. And seizures varies from person to person...but you will find people here that can relate to different aspects.

Some of what you describe sounds like me. I too had frequent bouts of dizziness and feeling that I just stepped off an elevator along with feeling kind of out of it. This eventually was accompanied by panicky feelings. However, what really drove me to the Dr. and my diagnosis last fall at age 53 was a couple bouts I had where I had a sudden nauseous feeling come over me, turned my head to the side and, even though I could hear people talking to me, could not respond in any way. I had an mri (which showed scar tissue on my brain) and an abnormal eeg. I've since been started on medicine and that, along with following extremely healthy lifestyle choices, have kept things under control. While I was just diagnosed last fall, I do think I've had these seizures for quite a few years and just didn't realize what they were.

I can't say for sure if that is what you are experiencing although it could be. I would suggest that you go to a neurologist and get some clear answers so you'll know! Good luck and keep us updated. This forum has a terrifically supportive group of people on it!

Hello! Welcome to CWE. Feel free to ask questions, chime in, or just vent when needed. I totally agree with Eric...you need to go see a neurologist....and if you don't think that you can describe everything...then print out what you typed here and hand them a copy. At least you'll have a starting point for the conversation. :)

I'm not a doctor so I can't say if what you are having are seizures. However, you described your feelings and sensations quite well, and I think any experienced neurologist will probably have heard many similar discriptions.

Explaining your sensations to most lay people will probably get you strange looks, as mine did when I started explaining them. However my neurologist knew exactly what I was talking about. Over the years we've come up with different ways to describe my things...flurries, pokey headaches, phase shifting...and my husband and neurologist know what I'm referring to each time.

The more often you try to describe your experiences verbally, the more specific you'll become.
Good luck with your dx!

my 13 year old son has been having different seizures for a few years now. he has mentioned on a few occasions the feeling of anxiousness as well. he would just be laying in bed reading or coloring and cry out for me. "mom, something doesnt really feel right, i feel real scared in my stomach like something bad is going to happen and i dont know why?". nothing ever did to my knowledge...we just kinda shrugged it off and didnt know what to think at the time. we never discussed that one with the doctor either. we know now it was most likely related to his seizures.
he also gets that swimmy feeling (good description by the way. haha) usually blurred vision with it. it may be his seizures of his mograine symptoms....hard to differentiate sometimes. only lasts under a minute.
i agree that it is definately time to look farther into these symptoms and dont be affraid to word it just like you did....sometimes when we describe things to doctors, all the weird ways we describe things helps them to understand better.
good luck with everything and stay posted on this forum as i have really enjoyed it and get wonder information from these wonderful people.
jays mom, chrissy

Hi elderwanda :hello: Welcome to CWE!

I believe you did an excellent job of explaining your experiences. It might sound strange or crazy to someone inexperienced with epilepsy or seizures, but a good doctor should know what you are talking about. Some of what you described sounds similar to episodes and feelings my son has described to me. I believe he has had frequent simple sensory partials in the past and we never realized it. All we knew about was the scary complex partials that ended up with a trip to the hospital.

You've come to an great place to find information, encouragement, understanding, and support. Meander around the site and read through some of the information on nutrition and alternative therapies. You may find a few simple changes in your lifestyle might slow down the frequency of the episodes you are describing.

We're really glad to have you here :)

thanks and update

Thank you everyone, for your replies.

I haven't seen the doctor yet; my appointment is tomorrow.

Today I had a particularly disconcerting episode. I was walking to the shopping center (a one-mile walk), and half-way there, I started feeling some of these strange feelings. I almost turned back, but I decided it would pass, and then I'd be able to get a nice drink at Starbucks. I walked along, feeling really strange, but certainly if I had lost consciousness I would have fallen, right? So I assume I was conscious the whole time, but it wasn't like normal. If I'm having seizures, I'm not entirely sure what is happening during them.

I got to the shopping center and sat on a bench, still feeling strange. I knew I wouldn't be able to walk home, so I called my friend. I had a lot of trouble talking to her, and when she showed up to give me a ride (10 minutes later), I wasn't able to speak to her. She took my arm and lead me to her car, and I was unable to speak the whole time. When I got in the car, she asked me how I wanted to deal with the fact that we both had kids to pick up from different schools in twenty minutes. I wanted to say, "Nathan gets out at 2:50, but David is staying for Homework Club" but all I could say was, "....David....not....David....not....David....has....Homework Club." I think this is what they call "Broca's aphasia". It was really strange.

It was about 20-30 minutes before I could talk reasonably normally. I found someone to drive me and the kids home from school (and by some miracle, my son with autism didn't meltdown at the change in plans).

I'm eager to talk to the neurologist (although I first need to meet with the doctor who will refer me, thanks to our lovely health care system.)

I'm also wondering what kind of things I'll have to do for the neurologist to know what's going on.

I'll keep posting. :)

I walked along, feeling really strange, but certainly if I had lost consciousness I would have fallen, right? So I assume I was conscious the whole time, but it wasn't like normal. If I'm having seizures, I'm not entirely sure what is happening during them.

Actually I do the same thing, I guess it is losing "consciousness" since I"m not conscious of anything but I keep walking or doing what I'm doing. I've even been alongside people who had no clue I had a seizure.

I got to the shopping center and sat on a bench, still feeling strange. I knew I wouldn't be able to walk home, so I called my friend. I had a lot of trouble talking to her, and when she showed up to give me a ride (10 minutes later), I wasn't able to speak to her. She took my arm and lead me to her car, and I was unable to speak the whole time. When I got in the car, she asked me how I wanted to deal with the fact that we both had kids to pick up from different schools in twenty minutes. I wanted to say, "Nathan gets out at 2:50, but David is staying for Homework Club" but all I could say was, "....David....not....David....not....David....has....Homework Club." I think this is what they call "Broca's aphasia". It was really strange.

That's typical for some seizures. During the stronger ones I can't speak. Other times I think I'm speaking normally but my words don't make any sense. To this day I'd love if someone taped me in that state.

Weird as it may feel for a few seconds of the day to disappear or not be able to speak you do get used to it as you get to know your seizures better.

I can identify with the not being able to speak properly part. On stronger simple partials (which I haven't had much of since starting on my meds), I go through a period where I can't talk right. I know what people are saying to me, I know how I want to respond, but I stutter and don't get the right words out. It is probably one of the most frustrating parts of my seizures. At the same time, though, if someone is with me and knows what's going on, it helps me know when it's almost over because I start talking normally again.

:hello: Drummer!

I agree with you on that comment; for I have
the same difficulties as well. I even get it all
disorganized or become incoherent or worse:
Making Absolutely No Sense At All!

:embarrassed:

Back
Top Bottom