Startle away a seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Is this even possible - I have a feeling my son started the space-out phase leading up to a seizure this morning, but then I tapped the car horn & startled him out of it? Can that happen? He is 14, and has a total of 3 grand mal seizures over the past 9 months, each one 3 months after the last. He hasn't had one in 3 months now, so I am on edge thinking it's coming (even though the time of 3 months in between the first 3 was probably total coincidence, I know). This morning, he was standing in the garage watching me try to wipe dead bugs off the front of my car in the rain...after I was done, I got in the car, ready to take him to school, and he just stood there, staring at the car. I tapped the horn, and he startled but still he kept staring in the general direction of the headlights. I started to get out of the car & go to him because this was exactly how the last sz started, but then he was fine and looking at me like "What's your problem?" haha whewwww just a wierd mom!! But have any of you ever had this happen - or is it all just my imagination running wild?

I think it's definitely possible. Some of the electrical implants work on the idea that you can interrupt a seizure after the abnormal activity has initiated but before it spreads beyond a certain point. There are also anecdotally-successful interventions that involve breathing or acupressure points, or similar physical techniques.

The links below discuss some aspects of the topic, and may be of interest.:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/putting-off-seizures-10010/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/tags/neurobehavioral therapy.html
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/index.php?p=cognitive-behavioral
http://pindulidog.blogspot.com/2011/10/stopping-seizures-by-phylis-feiner.html

I read a book about behavioral approaches to controlling epilepsy, and startling was one of the methods they mentioned. I don't know much about it but the book said it was effective for some people. I didn't read Nak's links but maybe my comment was redundant!

That is very interesting. I am starting to wonder if my son is actually having absence seizures too... I talked to my husband and he said he has noticed him "spacing off" a couple of times... it's so hard because our son is a teenager, and teens do space off sometimes! Thank you for your comment.

Personally I have used the pressure point technique. I have nocturnal grand mals that sometimes start as a partial in just my left arm. If I can get a hold of the upper arm with my other hand right by the front of the armpit where the nerve bundle goes through and pinch really hard I have made the seizure stop completely, just like flipping a light switch.

Also my dog does the "startling" for me. He wakes me up in time to shake off sleep entirely and make the oncoming seizure stop.

I have read about aromatherapy being used for the same purpose. You associate a particular fragrance with being relaxed and happy and then if you feel a seizure coming on, a whiff of that fragrance can abort it. I haven't tried that yet but I have some jasmine oil on order.

I have noticed that if I feel a partial coming on and I just sit there, allowing it to draw me in, it will last longer and be worse. If I jump up immediately and distract myself I have a chance of ending it. Usually it will go on as long as I allow it to and once it has reached a certain point I can't get out of it without much difficulty and a lot of ativan.

I should have added, it is similar to "white line fever". If you don't stop it immediately the results are not going to be good. You have to recognize what is happening or about to happen and put a stop to it ASAP.

I was driving when I was extremely tired and found myself just starring at the white line on the side of the road. I finally snapped out of it when I realized I was possibly going to get my entire family killed. That's kind of what a seizure is like for me. Often I don't realize until it is too late or I just want to be pulled into it.

I hope this makes some sense, (I only experience PSs)

yes MAB...everything you wrote makes perfect sense except I always have to "convince" myself out of a seizure also while getting woke up from that sensation as well...lol...talk about a knock out challenge! lol I usually get started with a partial/complex...so while I'm waking up to tongue smacking etc..I have to hurry up and recognize whats going on etc, and talk myself into recognizing it and tell myself...ok..that's all this is going to be...no grand mal...you can handle it...(mine are always over nighters) so I always get woke up with them..i don't get to be awake beforehand! lol it's all rude awakening! lol

Back
Top Bottom