Switching from Depakote to Lamictal for Tonic Clonic Seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Amyaa7

New
Reaction score
Hi there,

I was diagnosed with epilepsy at 14, and stopped having seizures at 16 after being on Depakote. I am now 32 and in the middle of switching to Lamictal since it is recognized as a better drug overall and for having kids.

I was curious if anyone has had luck switching from Depakote to Lamictal for tonic-clonic seizures. Did you notice any symptoms or was it overall a better drug for you (or not)? My final does on Lamictal will be at 300mg. If you did have a seizure during the switch, did you up the Lamictal or go right back to Depakote?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. It is so scary switching and i'm trying to keep my spirits up.

Thanks!!
Amy

Hi Amy, welcome to CWE!

I haven't been on Depakote, but I am on Lamictal currently (150mg/day). I made the switch from Zonisamide about 4 years ago. I had no problems with the transition (which was done slowly over about 3 months), and have been seizure-free since.

Best,
Nakamova

I had no transition issues either. Within 6 months, I was seizure free and have been so for at least 10 years. The side effects of Lamictal are minimal.

Back
Top Bottom