Tegretol advice

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

BrainPie

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm new to the forum and look forward to interacting with fellow seizure disorder individuals.
I've had simple and complex partial seizures since 2000. For the last 5 years I have been on 400mg lamictal and 1-2mg lorazepam daily. This has controlled my seizure activity to an acceptable level. However I have recently lost my prescription drug coverage and obviously cannot afford the sever hundred dollar/month cost of lamictal. Years ago I had been on dilantin which was only moderately effective, and had bothersome side-effects.
My neuro is looking into pricing for Tegretol, and I wanted to know what sort of experience others have had with it. I really want to stay away from the dilantin, but cheap alternatives are few and far between.
Thank you in advance for your help!

I was on Tegretol for years. I do ok on generics so I took that. If I recall it was only about $11.00 (ins. paid rest but I do not have good insurance). So, very inexpensive. It worked well for me and my only problem was my white blood count fluctuated and stayed on the low side. I often had troubles getting over a common cold. Other than that I did ok on it. Good luck.

Welcome BP. There's a few people here on tegretol/carbamazapine including myself.

I've been on it for decades so I don't remember the initial side-effects. They've either subsided or just become very much a part of me so I wouldn't be too good at describing them.

I can say though that they don't control my seizures totally, recently there have been few days where I haven't had one. I do know that they get worse without it though.

You also have to remember that everyone reacts differently to anti-epileptic drugs so no matter what experiences people give you, you'll never really know how it works until you've tried it. Do keep us informed though.

Back
Top Bottom