Temporal Lobe Epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

fractal

New
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been dealing with something for 2 decades that I had no name for. Because of the stacked moments of dejavu, I would wonder if something mystical was happening. After having another minor episode today, I did another few google searches. One of them brought me here. I read some and did more searches. I understand I'm not a Dr., but it sure looks like the medical term for my experiences would be Temporal Lobe Seizure, which I am also seeing called Temporal Lobe Epilepsy, brought on Mesial temporal sclerosis from a near-fatal traumatic head injury.

Treatment options I see appears to be medications, which don't work on 1/3 of people with TLS, and/or having part of my brain cut out. I'm seeing it said that I *need* to get it cut out, because the damage from ongoing seizures can spread if I don't. Basically, I'm kind of freaking out a little.

Looking through this site a bit, I'm getting the sense that if I get diagnosed for this by a professional, I could lose my driver's license for life. Is that accurate?

FWIW, I have seen a neurologist once after an episode, but she took my license for a year because of a lapse of consciousness, and I haven't been very inclined to return since. I did all the CT scans and MRI and any test she wanted, and nothing came of it. I was a mystery. A mystery that left me unable to drive for a year and it felt like a big waste of my time to see her.

This is what experience: I will be doing my own thing, and then a kind of pressure comes down. The empty space around me starts to feel like it has more density, so that the empty space is a kind of thing. Not always, but often, this feeling is followed by a stack of dejavu. I call it a stack, because it is a moment where I'm having dejavu, but in the moment that happened before, I was having dejavu that time too, and in that dejavu, I was having dejavu, etc... This stack keeps spiraling forward (fractally?) with layers and layers of the exact same moment where all of them are me having dejavu. Then, I notice something off, a hole in the t-shirt on stack 57 that isn't on any of the other "slides" of the moment of stacked dejavu. When I notice the thing that is off/different, I zero in on it, fall into so to speak, and pass out. I've spent 2 decades wondering about past lives, spending eternity reliving the same life, and more on similar themes. After making the connection with the dejavu and passing out, I've spent the last 10 years or so trying to change the context of the moment to defeat the dejavu. My thinking was that by changing the room I was in, I had done something *different*, and it seems to work most of the time. I have even pushed the attack/seizure off by walking away and doing some deep breathing. But not always.

Now, I'm wondering if I have epilepsy and am at risk of losing my license forever and/or needing part of my brain cut out. Sorry for the wall of text. I'm a little out of sorts.

Last edited:
Welcome--I'm glad you found this site! There are a lot of members here a lot better at giving detailed answers to your questions than me, but I do want to say that you are jumping from point A (I may have TLE) to point Z (I have to have my brain cut out) when there are a WHOLE lot of steps in between. Lots of people get their seizures under control with medications--you saw the odds, and the odds are in your favor, but you won't know unless you try them, and delaying treatment could end up worsening your condition considerably. If you are having these episodes, wouldn't it be far better to get seen and get your health returned to you rather than risk letting your condition potentially get much? There are a lot more people on this site who are in the 1/3 who have not gotten control, than in the 2/3 who have, which makes sense, so don't be put off by our experiences. I myself had complex partial seizures and a grand mal before I finally sought treatment, and was put on a med that completely controlled my seizures for 17 years (first med I tried). Things have changed for me but 17 years was a darned good run. Please don't lose hope and know that seeking proper medical evaluation is a good step for your long term health.

Last edited:
yeah, i have temporal lobe epilepsy, and I am not considering brain surgery until another doctor ask me if I have found Jesus first. After they admit they are out of ideas.

haha. well... good to know.

ugh. I just really don't want have my license taken away again. As it is, I seem to have brought it down from a monthly experience to a maybe annual one. Had I not done this recent web search to here, I wouldn't even be otherwise considering going back to a Dr. for it all. That said, maybe I should.

Epilepsy is a scary word for me, but I guess I'm preaching to the choir. I liked it better when I was convincing myself it was it was karmic spiral repeating past life spiritual brujahaha.

Hello! I am just new here and its quite good to be a member of this forum site. I think, I want to learn about epilepsy also. Actually, upon visiting the other threads, I found out something about Temporal Lobe Epilepsy. One thing, I know is that its symptoms is associated with hallucinations linked with perceptions. However, to be sure, I think one should really be diagnosed first by a doctor.

Hi and welcome to the site.
I've dealing with epilepsy 50 years. Just because your diagnosed doesn't mean you'll loose license for life.If you get controlled with med or something else it's possible to get it back.

If your having seizures you shouldn't be driving anyway.I've never driven but I've managed.

Lindsay put it really well: You're definitely jumping from A to Z. So let's start at A again. Epilepsy has more than 200 different seizure symptoms, whereas other illnesses might have about 20, so it's really easy for people to pick up on one symptom they're having and think it's epilepsy. If I were having a blocked nose and a headache, I'd think I might have sinus, hayfever or flue, and I'd probably be right. But if I'm having buzzing in my ears and visual hallucinations, I might think I have epilepsy and I'd probably be wrong because there are so many other epilepsy symptoms and so many diseases that give you buzzing ears and visual hallucinations. If you were diagnosed broadly with epilepsy, your doctor would only be able to narrow in on what type with a long EEG scan or by asking you hundreds of questions. Also, you'd be very hard pressed to find an epilepsy sufferer who has learned to stop their own seizures. There are some, but they are very rare, so the fact that you can stop your experience without being helped to learn it is a good sign that you might not have epilepsy.

Brain damage in epilepsy does happen but it happens at an incredibly low speed, even with severe tonic clonics, so you have plenty of time to see doctors, try medications and fail several times over many, many years. But of course you should see your doctor straight away. As for surgery, I was diagnosed 20 years ago and only now are we looking at a minimally invasive surgery that will not cut into my brain or skull. IF that doesn't work, I'll have brain surgery. The timeline for these things is very long.

If you aren't losing consciousness or control over your body and are not currently too cognitively impaired to drive, nobody's going to take your driver's license away. Nobody with epilepsy loses their license for life as far as I know--I don't live in your country. It varies from state to state, but generally the license is revoked for between 6 months and a year after a tonic clonic seizure. But look at it this way: a doctor will only revoke your license because you are at risk of harming yourself and others on the road. Would you rather die in a car accident/kill someone else on the road or give up driving for a year?

Patient advocacy and empowerment is very important when we're looking for solutions to our health problems. We have to push for the care we need and when we don't get it or are not happy with our doctors, we have to find others. Don't let one doctor get in the way of your health care.

I am brand new to this site. My daughter was diagnosed with MTS after a prolonged complex febrile seizure when she was 15 months old. When she turned 6 she had routine EEG and the found that she was having absent seizures. She has been on zarontin for over 2 years now and has been seizure free. There is not much info on MTS and her neurologist just says we have to go with the moment. She is going to be 9 next month and she is very immature. I have so many questions and it seems there aren't any answers. Do you think she is clear from seizures? I read one article that says seizures will go away and them come back around the age of 19 with MTS...is this true? I'm thinking we are free and clear and then decode to educate myself on MTS every so often and find new info that says I am in for it as the years go on. I just want my daughter to live a normal healthy life. Do you have any info that can help me at all?

Back
Top Bottom