Try Chiropractic!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

klinks

New
Reaction score
Hey im Andrew and I am new to this website..

I have had epilepsy for a year now and have been unhapy with the treatment from the doctors and at one point was on 4 different medications. I am a chiropractic student and am not so keen on conventional medicine and have been looking into alternative treatments...

Have any of you tried Chiropractic?? Chiropractic is not for the treatment of sore backs as most people think of it, this is a perception that has happened over the years....

Chiropractic is related to the spinal cord which runs through the spine. A chiropractor adjusts segments of the vertebral column which supports the spinal cord in order to free up the central nervous system of any inhibiting factors. As all the organs in the body are supplied by neves the body can then function optimally which 'may' help with the irregularities of the nerve impulses in the brain...

This is a great way to 'suppliment' your medical care. If you are desperate and unsure what else to try I would suggest giving it a go!!!

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew

hi klinks! Welcome to CWE. :) This is a great place to talk about different alternative therapies as well as complimentary and traditional therapies. :) I look forward to seeing what you bring to the table. :) So feel free to ask questions, chime in, or just vent in the padded room when needed.

Andrew,
welcome to CWE.
I've tried chiropractors for my back and they haven't helped.
I keep going back down on my back so nothing helps it.
Belinda:agree:

Hello Andrew:

I have seen postings from individuals who have
attempted the move towards Chiropractic, unfortunately
the results were negative after a period of time; I have
not yet seen any positive reports from anyone yet
alongside with any medical journalistic findings to
sustain it and/or support it. (Valid examples would
be such as Neurofeedback - which have medical
support, findings, conclusions, etc --> even going
as far as to Acupuncture therapies.)

I do have a question herewith; since Chiropractors
deals with basically the spinal alignment - and Epilepsy
is frequently associated within the brain. While no argument
here that nerves contends within the spinal cord; it is a
fact, but seizures generates from within the brain. My
question here is: How does one who has a perfect spinal
alignment would benefit from Chiropractic treatment?
How would a Chiropractor deal with Epilepsy if it is
intractable / refractory? Required surgical removal
of areas - which may go so far because of lesions?
How would it be better than Neurofeedback which is
a higher level up from Biofeedback ~ in which it deals
with the brain? And in addition, moreover, how would
it deal with Epilepsy triggers - such as from foods? lights?
and so on - all the way up to strange and odd matters
even to hot water?

I can see how Acupuncture (which is ancient) would
be of benefit / alternative therapy, but Chiropractic?
Would you care to be more specific?

:ponder:

Hi Andrew, welcome to the forum. :hello:

We frequent a local chiropractor from time to time as needed (if we throw our back out or something similar). We do not use nor consider chiropractic as an epilepsy treatment.

I look at it differently, Andrew.
To me the seizures are the symptom. They are the final result of insult to the body. I do believe that chiropractice could be a part of the healing of the body, but not the only therapy. Certainly there could be a pinched nerve, or misalignment that might trigger some seizures. Healing the body any way possible is an improvement. For some it might just be a reduction in seizures. For others it might control them.

Neurofeedback is also not a monotherapy for seizures, if things like nutrition are not changed as well. It can help, but the cause must be looked into. I do believe after using this therapy on my daughter, that it can train the brain to stop using seizures as a release mechanism. However, if the cause is not addressed the threshold is still lowered and if the symptom is not seizure activity, it will be something else.

I do believe you are learning one very important therapy, which will help people to be more aware of their body and it's function. However, if people are going to leave your office and go have their beloved soda, it is useless. When people are aware of how their body is functioning, they are able to manage stress better, and create a lifestyle that is centered around health. Learn about nutrition and teach your patients, and you will be ahead of the game.

You are learning a piece of the puzzle, which is a good thing.

...of course this is my non-medical opinion.

Some interesting Questions

Hey sharon

First of all, Chiropractic is not a cure for any illness, it is simply one of many factors in helping the body to perform optimally. As for there being no positive scientific research Sharon has posted a link to a website that shows positive effects of those with epilepsy. Chiropractic may help some people and others it may not help at all!!!! As far as I know, which is not enough what may happen in some cases of epilepsy is an overexcitation of ion chanels in the brain causing rapid depolarisation and the hyperactivity in the brain that results. How I understand this may in some cases be caused by a hormone imbalance. If one of your vital organs is not functioning optimally there may be an increase in production of a particular hormone which may trigger overexcitation of the sodium potassium channels and therefore the hyperactivity that occurs during an epileptic seizure. As all your organs are supplied by nerves seing a chiropractor is one aspect in helping your body to maintain optimum health. As I said before I am not an expert, I am only a seccond year student with 3.5 years to go.... That is just my opinion

As for chiropractic helping those with epilepsy caused by light etc as I said it may help some people and then again for others may not help at all... I do however believe that the light is not the cause of the seizure but a trigger of an underlying symptom...

As for accupuncture helping because it is a long respected form of medicine and in comparison chiropractic is only new, why do we even visit medical doctors??????????? Why dont we all go to accupuncturists and traditional herbalists, they have been around for millions of years!!!!!!!!

Thanks sharon, you made some great points and I agree with what you say that it is a small part of the puzzle and there are many other factors contributing to optimal health!!!

Thanks for your replies lol, I enjoy a good discussion:bigsmile:

Hey Robin

I think you misunderstood me, I totally believe that seizures are only a symptom of an underlying cause!!!!!! And I totally agree that there are many aspects to attaining optimal health including nutrition etc....
I was wondering about the nutrition thing. I have started cutting out a lot of gluten and milk products from my diet as I seam to get a build up of mucous.. Dont know if that has anything to do with epilepsy though lol.

If seizures are a symptom of an underlying cause why do we all go to medical doctors, and suffer all the side effects etc???? The medication is only hiding the symptoms... In my case it is caused by sleep deprivation and over the last half year I ended up on 4 medications at one time as it wasnt under control, one of which was tegretol which was making me even more tired and was the cause of the seizures I believe. Since I have been off it I have not had another one... I am now down to two, Epilim, and Lamictal... I still cannot go out late though, so the way I see it I might as well be off medication and not go out late and live a healthy lifestyle than be on medication and not go out late and live a healthy lifestyle....

Anyway enough ranting and raving for now lol.. Thanks for the reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a known fact that an unhealthy intestinal lining will cause a few problems. One being a malabsorption of necessary nutrients, and another of leaky gut that causes auto-immune problems. You mention that you have "cut out a lot of gluten and milk products". From those studying this, it is suggested that ALL of these ingredients be eliminated.

I agree with you that the medication is only hiding the symptoms of seizures. We had similar problems when my daughter was on medication. I am shocked that within one year you were put on mulitple meds. Monotherapy is what is recommended by most experts. It sounds like you are realizing how to manage your health in a positive way.
Proper nutrition, enough sleep, etc are certainly on the right path, with quite a bit of research backing these ideas up.

Medication use is not hiding the symptoms of seizures. Some peoples seizure control requires medications to control their seizures.

Hello, Crystal here-
I take two medications Tegretol XR and Keppra. One is a sodium channel blocker and the other is a calcium channel blocker- these two help keep things more in order and doesn't hide any symptom or seizures- it is stopping the process. If the medications were hiding the symptoms it would still be happening. Also each medication chosen by a neurologist is specific to the seizure type itself not just random.

Everyone take care and be safe-

Back
Top Bottom