trying out this forum thing

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hello - I am new here and trying to figure out how to make a post, but I can't find anything to let me start one. The only thing I could figure out was to "reply" to something, so I chose this one, sorry if this is a mistake for this site, I'm just trying to get some help posting my first message. Can someone help me? Thanks - this seems like a great site that may help ease my fears.

Hello - I am new here and trying to figure out how to make a post, but I can't find anything to let me start one. The only thing I could figure out was to "reply" to something, so I chose this one, sorry if this is a mistake for this site, I'm just trying to get some help posting my first message. Can someone help me? Thanks - this seems like a great site that may help ease my fears.
Hello Scottsmom.

Welcome to the forum.

If you would like to introduce yourself, you can make a post in The Foyer.
To create a new post click on the NEW POST button which is down the bottom of the page. Once you have created the New Post just title the post (in the title box) & type what you would like to say. Once you have finished your post just click submit reply.

If you need any help with posts or have any queries about the forum there is also a General Issues section.

You will find everyone here is great & will help with any questions you have :)

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Help for a newbie

What a quick, patient and pleasant reply. I have high hopes for this forum. I saw others but wasn't impressed to join any. As a matter of fact, I don't belong to ANY other forums, chat rooms, etc., not even Facebook! lol! (that's about the only abbreviation I know, I am NOT computer lingo literate!)
Thanks so much for the info on how to make a post. My 30 year old son has just started having very different seizures and episodes of night terrors, sleepwalking, anxiety and hallucinations, after 15 years of the same type of grand and petit mal seizures. He was just admitted to the hospital and I am at my wits end. Didn't expect this after all this time, so I can use the hospitality of this friendly seeming and informative forum.
Again, thank you for your help.:bigsmile:

same thing.....new to this forum.............want to find someone who has experienced simple partial seizures where words won't come out for about 30 seconds, yet I hear everything going on around me........SO WEIRD......don't know if it is food related or what but I tell my hubby to make me laugh about this bec. it I don't know anyone else who has this type. 20 years ago I had 3 grand mals, but the phenobarb i take seems to stop them! OY OY OY!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome, scottsmomred!

same thing.....new to this forum.............want to find someone who has experienced simple partial seizures where words won't come out for about 30 seconds, yet I hear everything going on around me........SO WEIRD......don't know if it is food related or what but I tell my hubby to make me laugh about this bec. it I don't know anyone else who has this type. 20 years ago I had 3 grand mals, but the phenobarb i take seems to stop them! OY OY OY!!!!!!!!!!
Hi, skierrose, I suggest creating your own thread in the Foyer. It will be more likely that your own specific questions would be answered, and you can get a proper CWE welcome!

Last edited:

Welcome Skierrose,
Have had simples for a good 18 years; at one time was every three weeks for 2-3 days at a time (not catamenial tho).
Most of the time it's not that I can't talk, but rather that it's so much easier not to try. I've been in situations where I've had no choice (meetings, etc.), but it's pretty tough to force it. Mostly I just wait for it to pass rather than interfering, as during that time you are not the one in control so why try to be, it can really mess with the process and it's also hard to hear yourself say something that makes no sense.
It's unlikely that it's food related however, start keeping a journal of what you ate the day and day before you have them, then after a few months see if there is a pattern. If you do happen to find a food trigger that's awesome as it gives you something to avoid. Good luck!

What a quick, patient and pleasant reply. I have high hopes for this forum. I saw others but wasn't impressed to join any. As a matter of fact, I don't belong to ANY other forums, chat rooms, etc., not even Facebook! lol! (that's about the only abbreviation I know, I am NOT computer lingo literate!)
Thanks so much for the info on how to make a post. My 30 year old son has just started having very different seizures and episodes of night terrors, sleepwalking, anxiety and hallucinations, after 15 years of the same type of grand and petit mal seizures. He was just admitted to the hospital and I am at my wits end. Didn't expect this after all this time, so I can use the hospitality of this friendly seeming and informative forum.
Again, thank you for your help.:bigsmile:

Welcome Scottsmom!
You are right this is the best forum! I joined a different one about three years ago but have only looked on it once since I found CWE. Glad you joined the site you'll find a lot of help and friendly members here.
I just finished reading your 'about me.' HUGS HUGS HUGS. I cannot imagine what you're going through right now. To think he's in the house then see him walking up the road towards you?! How frightening.
I am the one with E, not a parent, so I can't give too much advice on what you feel, however I do suggest him getting back on meds. AED's are very trial and error, sometimes the first one works for life, sometimes you go through multiple tries to find the right one, or are on three or four at a time.
Regardless, there should be one out there that works for him, it's just a matter of him realizing it I guess.
How far away is a neurologist from where you live? How often does he see a physician for what he's going through? Handing yourself over to the pros is an inevitable decision, hopefully he can realize that's the stage he's at.
He's also very lucky to have such supportive and caring parents. Many E sufferers have parents who ignore it or sweep it under the rug altogether, pls pat yourself on the back for all that you do. Best of luck and pls keep us updated!

thanks qtowngirl!!

Welcome Skierrose,
Have had simples for a good 18 years; at one time was every three weeks for 2-3 days at a time (not catamenial tho).
Most of the time it's not that I can't talk, but rather that it's so much easier not to try. I've been in situations where I've had no choice (meetings, etc.), but it's pretty tough to force it. Mostly I just wait for it to pass rather than interfering, as during that time you are not the one in control so why try to be, it can really mess with the process and it's also hard to hear yourself say something that makes no sense.
It's unlikely that it's food related however, start keeping a journal of what you ate the day and day before you have them, then after a few months see if there is a pattern. If you do happen to find a food trigger that's awesome as it gives you something to avoid. Good luck!

thanks for answering!! it is great to know someone else has the same weird "blips"!

Back
Top Bottom