Uncontrollable seizures and employment

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Westy

New
Reaction score
Just needing some ideas for possible employment options. i have uncontrollable seizures, aged 45yrs and have a physical disability that prevents me from standing or walking for any length of time. and because of seizures i am no longer allowed to drive.

I have a diploma in Community Welfare work and many years of experience in Administration, despite all this i still can't get even a part time job. the feedback i get from interviews - 'you are overqualified' or 'you answered all requirements and presented really well but we decided to go with someone else'.

Just in case you are wondering, no i don't tell them i have epilepsy when i go for interview!

Any ideas of work i could do?

Cheers
Westy

Have you

tried starting some sort of work-from-home business? Something that you can do, that you would like, and that is manageable for you?

Some people do freelance writing, some people do landscaping, some make candles and soap........you get the idea. Even being a virtual administrative assistant is a possibility.

Just some thoughts........

Hi, Westy,

The "overqualified" label annoys me to no end. It is really age discrimination. They should be hiring the most qualified person for the job.

I like the work from home idea. I'm having a lot of trouble with sensory input - can't stand too much of it. It has to be visually, audio quiet. So I'm trying to think up a small business from home, where it is quiet.

The virtual Admin Assistant sounds interesting, will have Google that one. Thanks for the ideas.

Endless
i agree that a work from home business might be good for you at the moment considering your sensory probs. i hope it works out for you.
As for me i have looked into starting my own business but i just don't have access to the kind of capital that seems to be needed to get myself out there enough to actually earn money. i know when i self-published my book it was hard, i couldn't afford a publisher to assist with distribution contacts. i tried contacting the Epilepsy Foundation in Aus and they refused to give me help with promotion etc simply because it wasn't a book they had produced. Local bookstore only took a couple coz they saw it as having a limited market,i ended up selling a few hundred both in Aus and o/s through Ebay. I just couldn't get the exposure that is needed to make a profit.

Any chance you could freelance as a copy editor, proofreader, or researcher? These days those can all be potentially home based.

Don't know whether i have the quals for that sort of thing but will look into it.

Thanks

Been checking out editing & proofreading courses that i can do online...might be a start?!

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom