Undiagnosed and scared

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Hi all. I've never posted on a forum, but I'm scared and need some advice, so here it goes.. I started having strange episodes back in early 2013. My face gets warm and tingly, then I get a swooshing sound in my ears and can't hear anything else going on around me. Next, I start having strange dream-like visions, although I am awake, and an overwhelming sense of deja vu. Then I try to speak, but get confused and the words don't come out. When I come to, I can't remember what the visions were about, but I can remember everything else. I've always thought these episodes were some kind of black out from mental and physical exhaustion, until the other night when I had a dream that I had two convulsing seizures that seemed so real that it scared me. In the dream, I was seizing on my couch, exactly where I was sleeping when I had the dream. I googled my symptoms and here I am. I'm currently taking wellbutrin xl, which I know lowers the seizure threshold, so that scares me, but I've been having these episodes since well before I started taking the medication. Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

Oh and I'd also like to add that the day after my dream, I was in complete zombie mode. I was exhausted, got confused easily and was sooooo thirsty. No matter how much I drank, it wasn't enough.

Sounds like it certainly could be some seizure activity. Have you made an appointment to see a neurologist or an epileptologist? That seems like what you need. Also, has anyone ever seen you when you have been having these spells? It would be good to know how they appear to other people. Finally, I strongly suggest that you go to this site:

https://seizuretracker.com/

and start a log of all the episodes you have. It will be helpful to you and your doctors to see what, if any, patterns there are.

Best of luck and keep in touch!

Onward and upward!

No, the only doctor I've made an appointment with is my psychiatrist because I recently became aware of borderline personality disorder. I'm currently being treated for depression and recently discontinued klonipin for anxiety. The description of this disorder fits me to a tee and I thought my episodes were related to the disorder until last night when I googled my symptoms. Hopefully she will refer me to a neurologist. I have been in the same room with other people on a couple occasions when I feel it coming on but I usually leave the room, I guess because it embarrasses me. The last time it happened, I was on the phone with my ex and after it happened he was saying "hello!" and I just told him I felt light headed like I was going to pass out. But while it was happening I couldn't tell him anything. Thanks for the link! I'm filling it out right now!

Last edited:
My face gets warm and tingly, then I get a swooshing sound in my ears and can't hear anything else going on around me. Next, I start having strange dream-like visions, although I am awake, and an overwhelming sense of deja vu. Then I try to speak, but get confused and the words don't come out.
These sound like symptoms of partial and complex seizures. Worth checking out the links below to see if there are any other symptoms that ring a bell. Make sure your psychiatrist is familiar with seizure symptoms as well -- not all of docs are, and some of your symptoms might be misdiagnosed or misattributed. Some of the symptoms of borderline personality disorder can also be caused by temporal or occipital lobe epilepsy. It's also possible that you are suffering from both.

http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/simple-partial-seizures
http://www.epilepsy.com/learn/types-seizures/complex-partial-seizures

Thank you. It looks like I have simple partial seizures of the absent and psychic types and possibly complex partial seizures. The only thing I'm unsure about is automatisms, since I have no idea what's going on at the time and no one has seen or noticed. Another thing too, I'm not sure if it's related. I've been having a really hard time choosing words and I'm scared my brain is damaged. Does this sound like a sign or symptom?

Is the word-choice problem all the time or just every now and then? If it's every now and then, it might be a symptom of a complex partial seizure. If it's all the time, then it could be medication-related or possibly related to anxiety or fatigue. If you're having seizures at night you could definitely be sleep-deprived. Seeing a neurologist and getting your symptoms under control should help you get your brain on track.

The word choosing problem is more often than not. I takes me a little while just to type a message and sometimes I stop mid sentence when talking to someone face to face. I also have a hard time remembering other things. I used to be so smart and always on point and now I feel so stupid. I also used to be a really fast typist. I was on Wellbutrin XL 150 mg but I stopped taking as soon as I realized I may be having seizures. Not sure if that's a good idea or not.

I was on Wellbutrin XL 150 mg but I stopped taking as soon as I realized I may be having seizures. Not sure if that's a good idea or not.

It's never a good idea to suddenly stop a medication without consulting with the doctor who prescribed it. At least leave a message for your doctor that you have done so.

Also, I was misdagnosed for 27 years and a few (not all) of the antidepressants and antipsychotics made my seizures worse.

I think things are different today but in the off chance they are not, please get the Neurologist evaluation regardless of what the Psychiatrist says.

Try to talk to the doctor before stopping medications, although a while back my wife had a seizure from medications she was taking and I made her stop immediately. Luckily the doctor said I was right to do so.

What you are describing sounds very similar to my experiences. The "visions" sound very similar. I rarely remember any of them, but know they were related to the seizure activity. Quite a few other things you mention sound similar as well, but that stood out the most. I really can't give better suggestions than the others who have commented. Just be sure to get in and see a neurologist.

As for remembering words, I have a hard time getting things to come to mind. For instance, as I was typing this, I had to sit for about 15 seconds and try to remember the word "suggestions". It feels kind of silly, but I try to come up with synonyms. :) Over time this hasn't gotten any better or worse. It hasn't effected my ability to type. I still type around 60+ wpm.e

Don't let it feel you dumb because it doesn't make you. Relax and don't let it scare you. Just be sure to see that doctor. Express all your worries. In fact, write them all down so you can't forget them.

Last edited:
I have to say your description sounds very, very much like my complex partials (but what you describe, if they are seizures, sound to me more like partial seizure types than absences unless you have periods where you go 'blank' and don't remember the episode at all). I agree with everyone, I would be sure to see a neurologist and get them evaluated. Don't panic about it--calmness will only help you--but see a neuro (getting a GP referral if you need to) to make sure you are being treated for the right thing. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Thanks everybody. N Sperlo I constantly have to come up with synonyms, even when I'm just thinking to myself and not speaking or typing. It's horrible.

I got in touch with a Family care physician today but he requires an application process. With my insurance I do need a referral. I also went through a psych eval and I have PTSD and a personality disorder, most likely borderline. I'm expecting phone calls from both facilities tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed for sure, bc I have a long bus ride to FL on Friday and at least need advice on my antidepressants before I leave.

Update: Dr. is working on a referral to the neurologist. Yay! I also have what appears to be a fibroadenoma in my right breast, but the ultrasound detected some abnormalitites, so I have to have some more tests and my thyroid is enlarged so I probably have hyperthyroidism so I'll have that tested as well. I'm convinced that everything that is wrong with me is hormone related.

I hope you get to see a neuro soon. And let the neuro know about your other health issues Hormonal spikes (especially estrogen) can definitely play a secondary (triggering) role in seizures. And estrogen is thought to play a role in fibroadenomas too. Keep us posted!

Sounds as if it is originating around the temporal / occular / brain stem / wernicke area. Towards the back of your brain.

The wernike area is responsible for speech. I am guessing the brain stem because of flushing but genuinely have no solid knowledge about that.

Technically I think what people call you have is an "aura".

Wellbutrin looks to be a tranquilizer/neuroleptic. So it is causing your brain to go to "sleep" or it is taking neurons in your brain which are dancing around, and it's putting them to rest. So if that is aggravating your symptoms, then you may want to consider moving in the other direction and go with an anti-epileptic which boosts your CNS rather than sedate it. What comes to mind is the racetams. Definitely something to discuss with the doctor as anti-epileptics have their own set of trade offs.

When you say your face gets tingly. What do you mean? Like pins and needles, the sensation of blood rushing back into an area. An itch sensation which is sort of tingly, or perhaps it is a different sensation all together. What kind of tingling?

Last edited:
Anyone else hear Morgan Freeman?

I was reading your post and started to get a rush thinking - Did I go off the deep end and write this? I have the same things happen. It started when I purchased a treadmill in April 2014. With the radio cranking I would suddenly not be able to hear it at all. Instead I'm suddenly hearing Morgan Freeman. I can see my living room, my couch, the front of my treadmill enough to shut it down and sit but I am seeing cartoon like visions and feeling very euphoric. I thought I was losing my mind - this happened maybe 5-7 times just like that. Then one morning in August when I was getting ready for work I started to hear Morgan - I tried to make it to the bed to sit down but must have fainted or something. I woke up on the floor with a big gash near my eye. My father rushed to my house and drove me to a walk in medical place that was recommended by my primary. They ran up some blood work, EKG, pregnancy tests etc. Full work up and nothing showed up. I was told I shouldnt worry about it too much. Until it happened like that at work 3 months later. I was sitting at my desk when I suddenly heard Morgan, saw the visions and then blacked out. When I came to I was slouch over my keyboard so i don't know if I lost full consciousness. I was taken to the ER and they did a full workup. Nothing came up. I did a sleep deprived EEG or EKG but couldnt sleep so they couldnt find anything. a couple of days later an MRI. NOTHING showed up. My neurologist put me on keppra and I havent had any episodes since. It's been about 4 months now. I'm only on 250 mg and I take only half doses in the AM and then in the PM because they make me so tired. I am now developing a rash too. I want a life without medication! I've never had to take medication for anything before.

Hi all. I've never posted on a forum, but I'm scared and need some advice, so here it goes.. I started having strange episodes back in early 2013. My face gets warm and tingly, then I get a swooshing sound in my ears and can't hear anything else going on around me. Next, I start having strange dream-like visions, although I am awake, and an overwhelming sense of deja vu. Then I try to speak, but get confused and the words don't come out. When I come to, I can't remember what the visions were about, but I can remember everything else. I've always thought these episodes were some kind of black out from mental and physical exhaustion, until the other night when I had a dream that I had two convulsing seizures that seemed so real that it scared me. In the dream, I was seizing on my couch, exactly where I was sleeping when I had the dream. I googled my symptoms and here I am. I'm currently taking wellbutrin xl, which I know lowers the seizure threshold, so that scares me, but I've been having these episodes since well before I started taking the medication. Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

Look up ecstatic seizures. Also look up them up in regards to Mohammed and Dostoyevsky

How bad would it be if I stopped seeing the neurologist amd taking meds? They didnt find anything life threatening. High deductible ins. Seeing my doc runs me $300-$500 a whack..all the testing upwards of $5000.00. I cant do anymore out of pocket! Single mom...

Back
Top Bottom