VEEG is normal.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

akelias

New
Reaction score
I just had a VEEG and the experience was a little deflating for me. I was there for 5 days and was taken off medications up until the 4th night. My seizures are typically stress induced.I did sleep deprivation as well as I could. I spent the first night up until 5 am and took a 3 hour nap afterward. They wanted to continue the deprivation into the following night but it was extremely difficult. Aside from the deprivation no other seizure inducing methods were done no strobes, hyperventilation, nothing. I was simply sleep deprived and confined to a bed. I had no seizures that i was aware of but i did lose track of time often. The test was normal. I'm not sure what to think about this has anyone had a similar experience?

I had my first VEEG done in March of this year. I also spent 4 nights in the hospital, and on the 4th day, that evening I was put back on my medications before getting to leave the next day. I was on Keppra XR 3000mgs and Carbatrol ER 1200mgs daily. My VEEG started the morning of March 7th, and my last medications was taken on March 6th. I had no medications March 7-10. I had no seizures on the 7th, but I started having "simple partial seizures" in the early afternoon on the second day, March 8. Ive had epilepsy my whole life. I was always having complex partial seizures or grand mal seizures, where I lose consiousness during the seizures. My last grand mal was in 2000- 2001. When I started to have seizures in the hospital, I was aware of what was going on during them. They sleep deprived me the second night I was there, I then lost track of time the rest of the days I was there. By the third day, it felt like I wasnt in the same room that I walked into the first day they hooked me all up. Im in Nebraska, and went to the UNMC (university of nebraska medical center) for my VEEG. They only sleep deprived me too, and never did anything else to get a seizure to come on. Now prior to me having this done, years ago I was taken off all of my medications and went seizure free for 10 days. I was like in my early teens I believe. But by the 11th day, I was having grand mal seizures, and complex partial seizures alot. It got to the point where they didnt think they were going to get the seizures to stop. I was put in the hospital for a few days til they got them under control with medication again and sent home.

Has a neurologist put you on any seizure medications? Do you have a follow up appointment set up yet?

Hi akelias --

Is there a particular kind of stress or a specific stressful event that's the seizure trigger? Are your seizures a response to cumulative stress (e.g. a couple of lousy weeks at work) or to a particular event (e.g. a nasty fight with a relative). If it's an event, do your seizures occur very close to the event, or does it take a few hours to come on? Are there any other warning signs? How frequently do they occur?

Negative video eeg's aren't unusual, especially if your seizures happen few and far inbetween to begin with. A negative eeg just means you didn't have one while you were there.

I think taking your triggers along is a good idea. Do you need to call up the IRS? Your insurance company? Talk to a relative that makes you crazy? Skype a meeting with sixth graders to explain eegs and how they work? Maybe a good seizure trigger.

If they gave me a seizure trigger it would be a triple martini, hold the olive.

Another thought is sometimes docs will ask you to go off your meds a day before you come in, to get the dose lower while you are there.

Back
Top Bottom