Working/living well with epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Don't get me wrong, the unemployment rate is massive here- it's Poundland city lol, and it's the arse-end of nowhere. Summer's great but freezing over the winter. Oh and the bloody seagulls squawk 24/7 lol. Doesn't matter though, I've got that view, a beach, and the main thing is it's cheap enough to live ok on disability benefit.

The place I was living at when I was working was the 5th most expensive place to live outside of London- no way could I have gone back on disability there, so I had to move 100s of miles. Took every last penny, I'm horribly in debt, but I'm happy :)

Last edited:
SlimBlue

Ah no I work in a restaurant cos I needed the action! Nobody would willingly pay for my cooking.

I used to work in offices, worked in a bank once, you know, grown-up jobs. But I was just plain miserable. Bosses giving out about the colors I wear, telling me to stop being so jovial! Had to get out. So I went back to being jovial with customers!

Fedup

There's no such thing as a big city in Ireland. But just for the craic, which one are you talking about? I lived in Galway for about 2 years.

You're lucky enough if the country is so close. I can drive a good half hour without seeing the shadow of a corn field! Small town is the way to go though, I'm sure of it now.

missus

It sounds nice tbh and once you enjoy it, thats the important part.

You sound the perfect type of person to host a small restaurant yourself lol and get someone else in to cook and serve- that's what small-business loans are for I'd presume ;)

These are just random ideas, based on the bit of info in your first thread. They may do nothing for you, but maybe it'll get you thinking about ways you could possibly set yourself up and get a less-stressed life (though I guess running a restaurant is pretty stressful in itself lol)

Anyway, you sound like a winner, and I'm happy you've joined our community- great first thread :)

SlimBlue

Awesome idea! I'll host, find a great cook and then take all the credit for my amazing restaurant! You're a visionary Slim, thanks for the warm welcome. Chat you later!

missus

Galway that is a big city :roflmao: you must have been suffocated in it. how well do you know the country have you ever been to the midlands.

Fedup

You know, it's one of the few (VERY few) good things about living with a condition; your energy and time is so precious that you want to direct it to what's really important. Feck social status and glamour jobs, I'm happy enough being around people and entertaining :)

Fedup

Ay! The husband is from the midlands! Tick Offaly man haha but the family house is in Westmeath. Beautiful scenery there too.

Galway was brilliant. Beautiful. Nice and airy! The west coast will always be my true love.

missus

Your joking me right, your husband is a B.I.F.O just like me. Westmeath is just over the road. The west coast is nice have you ever been up around Westport or Brosna in Kerry

Fedup

Westport? I climbed the fecking mountain! Never again by the way. Haven't had the chance to visit Kerry no. But the people I met from there were all real nice. The accent is cute.

missus

I have an uncle who lives on the base of it, well for me its further up than on the base, the accent aint bad in kerry when you get used to it.

Fedup

Would your uncle be interested in trading a lovely, cosy, wall-facing apartment in a trendy city for his house by Croagh Patrick? I mean, he can't possible refuse.

missus

You do not know my uncle, I mean he only got running water in a few years ago and that is not joking. I would love to think he would even move off Croagh Patrick from now until next may the wind or as he calls it a breeze, is a full scale storm. I am on your side.

missus,
I can SO relate!
I'm an RN and work three 12 hour shifts a week. I drive an hour to work so I have to get up at 3:45 am and I am dead when I get home at 7:30 pm. It takes me a day or two to just to recover and then it's time to do it all over again! I'm well controlled by my meds but jeez do they make me tired. There's never enough hours in the day for me and the older I get, the worse it gets. It was so much easier to do when I was younger. I just try to get to bed early and eat right. And win the lottery.......

Cindy

cawhitern

Jaysus, and I thought I had a crappy schedule! I'm very impressed, you sound like a machine! I haven't got a clue how you do it. Give me more than 9 hours of work in my day and I will crash and burn in front of your eyes.

Meds get me terribly tired too (and yes, the aging thing but let's not dwell on that!). I'm taking Keppra. Far from being the worst side-effects I had to deal with but they do take a big chunk of my vitality away.

Tis hard work you do and we (speaking for anybody who's ever been sick here) appreciate you do it. Don't forget your health comes first!

Mind yourself now!

Missus

Sometimes the littlest thing gives me motivation - like this simple sig

What might seem to be the end of the world today may be just the start of a new beginning tomorrow.

Thanks Zolt

Back
Top Bottom