Would you date someone who is epileptic

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

urza3277

New
Reaction score
So quick question. Would you date someone who is epileptic if you yourself also had epilepsy?

I have thought about this for a long time and I think there are pros and cons to both arguments of yes and no. But I still haven't come to a clear answer.

I'd like to hear your thoughts and stories below.

Cheers!

Can't think of any reasons why not to be with someone if we were in love :)

I can think of lots of definite pros, and just a few possible cons - and those cons aren't even specific to E..

Last edited:
I think for me personally the added stress of worrying about when my partner was going to have a seizure would be too much on top of worrying about when I was gonna have my next seizure.

On the other hand having someone who really understands the situation and has been on that road could create a kind of intimacy that would be hard to get with anyone else.
When I was a teenager i used to dream that my perfect partner would also have E and it would create a kind of perfect unity. That was also when I was only having nocturnal seizures and didn't have to live the reality of E really like I do now during the waking hours.
Like my recent ex. He was really great and supportive but it was just hard for him to understand why I needed to sleep alone so I could get a full 8 hours so I wouldn't have a seizure next day. Even though he was really supportive he just could never really understand. Just like I can't really understand what it's like to be brought up with divorced parents. I can still be supportive but at the end of the day I won't ever really "know" Does that make sense?

Of course it does, and that 'shared intimacy' is waaay up there in the pros - in fact I'd *love* to be with someone with E...

.. any offers? :roflmao:

oh, and you could maybe borrow some meds when you couldn't be arsed to get to the pharmacy ;)

I would, except that I don't think my wife would be too happy about it! :)

(Seriously, though, if I were single I don't think epilepsy would be a deal-breaker.)

I did date someone who also had epilepsy he was controlled but even if he hadn't been it wouldn't have mattered to me.
I dated a person for what they were like inside so they had seizures big deal.

I knew what to do if someone had a seizure, and I was accepted by dates when I told them I had epilepsy.I'm more than just epilepsy I'm an individual person and so is someone else who has epilepsy.

I married the best person in the world who had know problem with my epilepsy after dating him for 3 years and he's been there for me.

I dated and married my late wife and the connection we had was great.
I understood her issues and it really never bothered me.
so to me love trumps everything else.:twocents:

Absolutely--I wouldn't want anyone to consider my condition to be a critical factor in my value to them in their life, and I certainly wouldn't put that same filter on anyone else.

i have had a few seizures today, and my head hurts to, so i understand.

I think I might, I think only they would know how it feels to be this tired, & understand the headaches,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:ponder: tbh i really don't know. not b/c i have an issue with 'people who have e' obviously if i'm one of them, but i guess it would depend on the sz situation re: severity and life they lead. i'm being really honest here, i dunno that i could function properly with someone who's situation was a constant negative, which alot of is dependant on their attitude towards having a disease.

i am an extremely high-functioning person when it comes to work, finances, fighting the fight, always doing my best, and my determination with anything is through the roof. i could not be with someone that wasn't similar. if they were wishy-washy about never missing their meds, if they used it as a reason to get out of stuff, if they weren't always fighting the fight and staying pro-active (we all know that some people don't), then i'd have no interest. with epilepsy making it a priority to look after yourself is key, so if they didn't, i couldn't.

Yes I would. Love is a decision! My wife is an epileptic. Something she can't control much and didn't choose. I have faults and defects based on my choices as does she those get a lot more concern Choosing to be a high-maintenance person is much more serious to consider than physical issues beyond your control. Having Epilepsy is a non issue for us!

35 years ago it was even more a non issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My husband married me with full knowledge of my epilepsy. I only had abscence seizures when we got married. That was 50 years ago. MY seizures got worse and now I have Diabetes and Alzheimer's Disease.

We are still in love and he has never regretted marrying me. I fell in love for who he was and he fell in love for you I am. We both fell in love for good reasons. I have never regretted marrying him. He is a DH ( Darling Husband.)

If you get married for the right reasons, it does not matter what health problems each of you have.

Back
Top Bottom