Alternative medicine stirs debate

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
This article discusses alternative treatments for dogs/pets, but I found this section odd and interesting:
There's a lesser-known Japanese treatment called gold bead implants, used for younger pets that suffer from arthritis, epilepsy or spinal disorders. In this treatment, an animal is anesthetized and injected with hundreds of gold or stainless steel beads through 14-gauge hypodermic needles into muscle tissue in the back, hips or shoulders — what doctors consider permanent acupuncture.

"It's like magic if it's done properly," Van Engelenburg said. "I've never seen a negative effect."

But Dr. Narda Robinson, who heads the complementary and alternative medicine program at Colorado State University's School of Veterinary Medicine, has seen negative results.

One dog was brought in after receiving the treatment for arthritis. The pet's owner wondered why the dog was still limping, and the doctors suspected a tumor. The only way they could find out for sure was with an MRI, but the doctors couldn't administer one because there was so much metal in the dog's body from the implants.

"Because of the implants, there was nothing we could do," Robinson said.

Alternative medicine stirs debate

Not surprising to me was that diet is one of the primary alternatives for fixing what ails a pet.

I WONDER WHAT DOGTOR J WOULD SAY ABOUT THAT TREATMENT.IT SOUNDS CRUEL AND IN HUMAIN.

RIVA
AKA
POSITIVE PERSON

If someone thinks this will cure their ills, you can bet it will be tried. They used to say copper helped arthritis and some times you can still find ads selling pure copper bracelets.

Stimulation of pressure points and/or nerves does bring about temporary relief. I have an excellent pressure point book which works wonders if done correctly but even this book warns this is not a CURE, and to seek the advice of a physician.

There is a limit that the body can tolerate, be it man or beast. Sad thing is the poor little doggy has no say.

I'd have to agree with you both, it seems intrinsically wrong to do that to a sentient being that cannot give you any feedback.

I have followed the Gold Beads for epilepsy for awhile now. It's still expiremental. I also closely follow a case study in a dog with intractable epilepsy. After the implants, he went over 60 days being seizure free (along with his cocktail of AEDS), however, that was only his best time being seizure free and gradually his days between seizures became closer and closer. They added more beads, but his seizures continued, so there was a honeymoon period. It's been 2 years since his first gold bead implant. This dog remains on many AEDS, he also gets Daily "healing touch" a form of tactile therapy, a bit different than massage therapy, since it's geared to relax the brain cells more like Biofeedback Therapy.

This pup has gone into status many times, even with the gold beads, healing touch therapy, AEDS, rectal and sublingual valium and phenobarb and many times in the ICU to stop the seizures. Gold beads may work for some, but the results I have seen so far, aren't very promising.

I have to double check, but I don't think one can have an MRI following gold bead implants. Folks need to do their homework if they are interested in Gold Bead Implants for epilepsy.

Here's a link that breifly discusses gold beads and seizures, you'll have to scroll down to that section.

http://www.naturalpetdoc.com/alternative.htm#goldbead

With the price of gold going through the roof, this could get very expensive I'd think! I can just see it now... thieves using metal detectors to kidnap pets for their gold bead implants. :shock:

Back
Top Bottom