Animals in you back yard

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
What are some of the animals that you get in your back yard (or front)?

I live in the country so I get a good range of things.

During the day I get the usual - birds (all sorts), squirrls and chipmunks. One time though we did get the pigs and cows that got loose from the farm that is a few houses away.

At night though it's the fun time. We throw out the left overs and the old food that's been in the fridge so lots of things come out to eat it. Cats, deer, rabbits, racoons. I had 3 opossoms that I actually started feeding one year. I bought dog food and every night they knew when dinner was and would be out there waiting for it. I could even go out into the yard while they were eating and they wouldn't run away. I had them almost tame and I probably could have petted them if I wanted to (don't worry I never tried).

I even had a coytee out there a week ago!

What are some of the things that you've had?

We live outside of town by a few miles but have an average sized yard which we have landscaped to attract butterflies and birds. I watched the last baby robin leave the nest this morning.
We also have quail, doves, and beautiful gold finches. The only exciting wildlife we have ever had is when we came home from church and there was a rattlesnake coiled in the corner by the front door. The house was newer then and very few other houses built behind us at that time, so the snake must of come from the field.

When we go to Calif and visit my husband's family it is totally different. They live on 50 acres in the woods and do the same as you and put out all sorts of food to attract the wildlife.. they even have had an occasional bear walk across the yard.

When I lived in the bush near the ocean we had crows, seagulls, & black bears. Friends dogs would also make the trip to scratch at my door and visit.

Now that I"m in the city I have rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, robins & pigeons.

Wow yours all sound so nice! The only things i get round where i live in England are cats, rats, seagulls (huuuuuge ones, fed off a diet from tourists at the seafront) and pigeons lol.

At my granny's house in Ireland we tend to get a bigger variety of birds like robins, crows, blackbirds, swallows etc. And little field mice :)

The back of our yard joins with a cemetery, so even though we live in the city limits, we do get a lot of wildlife. We get racoons, opossums, ground hogs, squirrrels, chipmunks, mice, bunnies, gophers, all types of birds and, the worst part, the occasional skunk. I just wish our dog would learn to stay away from the skunks. She had been sprayed more that once, and either hasn't figured it out, or enjoys the smell.

I think our house is situated on a deer and coyote highway. I see them when I walk the dog around 5:30 every morning. Food is abundant in the yards of rural suburbia. We make sure the dog goes in before dark. The deer have even crapped right next to my front door. Now that’s disrespectful. We also have a hawks nesting in my neighbors tree… loud hawks that is.

As a city girl, I don't have a back yard (or even a front one), but not too far away is a bike path, and along that I've seen wild turkeys and bunnies. Where the path goes along the water, there are turtles, swans, mallards, and tons of Canada Geese. If I were to roam there at night, I'd probably see skunks and raccoons too...

We get the usual: rabbits, chipmunks, large birds of prey on down the line to occasional hummingbirds, small (easily killed) snakes, the odd feral cat and lots of squirrels which are collectively known as Chippy in our house. "Chippy" chewed right through our outside trash can lid so we're occasionally treated to the sight of an uneaten piece of pizza traveling through the yard. In our area we also have deer, possums, armadillos, racoons and wild turkeys but I don't know if we've ever had them right in our yard.
Do roving neighborhood teenagers count? We had those too, until my neighbor told them in no uncertain terms what would happen if they kept using our yards as a shortcut.

I live in a pseudo rural area that's a bit marshy. We get raccoons, foxes, coyotes, squirrels, chipmunks, moles, bunnies and we also have a pond with rainbow trout, painted turtles, bullfrogs, mallard ducks, and one snapping turtle!
No roving teenagers though. Next door neighbour dogs though! Although I'm glad none of them have decided to leave a gift by our front door. One dog though likes to bark at me on my own front porch! I think he's a little confused as to where his property boundaries lie.
Not a skunk yet. Just give my own dog a little time yet and I'm sure he'll find one....
Mice and birds in the house! Our cat stares at the birds but occasionally beheads a mouse as a thoughtful gift for us. What is up with cats and decapitating small creatures?
We had starlings living in our BBQ until a raccoon smoked them. I heard it happen at 4 a.m. and woke up my poor husband just sobbing because I had gotten used to their little chirping and had even rescued one that had fallen.
Nature.
Love it. Beautiful. A little harsh at times!
We should probably buy a new bbq too.

What is up with cats and decapitating small creatures?

and what’s up with cat maiming an torturing small animals prior to the beheading? If I did that with my dinner, no one would eat with me…. Well, if I was eating mice like cats, then no one would eat with me anyways. :-(

I had a bunch of baby raccoons in my grandmother's yard tearing up a box of icecream that was accidentally left out in the rain.

I had a bunch of baby raccoons in my grandmother's yard tearing up a box of icecream that was accidentally left out in the rain.

Bet they were cute but it was probably a pain to clean up after.

no they ate everything... and what was left of the shreaded box washed away.

Middle of suburbia here and wildlife is kinda slim pickins.

Squirrels and mockingbirds are just about it but once I saw a possum, he looked terrified.

Out front I've seen cute lil bunnies. And a dead armadillo on a road 1/2 mile away.

Back
Top Bottom